Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 21, 2012
2:07:26 PM
SMS Short code Spam

I recently got spam from a short code. I did a search and came across a post telling me to forward the spam to AT&T at 772-6. Which I did. And I responded with the short code the text came from. I realize if I get a charge AT&T will likely reverse it and can put a purchase blocker on my line. I have unlimited texting so I am not worried about the text I just don't want them to arrive. When I texted AT&T the number it miraculously (said tongue in cheek) told me it was likely from a short code (Duh.) and to text STOP. I have heard that isn't always the best idea but I did it anyway.

My question is, how do I block a short code from texting me? I read about Smart Limits ( I wish AT&T would choose to actually do better then their peers and provide an even better service for free. Talk about encouraging parents to spend more on smart phones for kids. But I digress.....) but it doesn't mention blocking short codes at all. Only blocking 10 digit numbers .... and you seem to have to pay for even that.

I recently got spam from a short code. I did a search and came across a post telling me to forward the spam to AT&T at 772-6. Which I did. And I responded with the short code the text came from. I realize if I get a charge AT&T will likely reverse it and can put a purchase blocker on my line. I have unlimited texting so I am not worried about the text I just don't want them to arrive. When I texted AT&T the number it miraculously (said tongue in cheek) told me it was likely from a short code (Duh.) and to text STOP. I have heard that isn't always the best idea but I did it anyway.

My question is, how do I block a short code from texting me? I read about Smart Limits ( I wish AT&T would choose to actually do better then their peers and provide an even better service for free. Talk about encouraging parents to spend more on smart phones for kids. But I digress.....) but it doesn't mention blocking short codes at all. Only blocking 10 digit numbers .... and you seem to have to pay for even that.

SMS Short code Spam

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 6:44:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

Short answer, you can't 

Short codes a unique to the carrier network so that means the spam came from a AT&T client, useing a short code  setup by AT&T. I think that makes AT&T complicit. You can tell by the response when you report the spam, "send STOP". Really,that's what all the spamers say. PS STOP, it doesn't work. 

Short answer, you can't 

Short codes a unique to the carrier network so that means the spam came from a AT&T client, useing a short code  setup by AT&T. I think that makes AT&T complicit. You can tell by the response when you report the spam, "send STOP". Really,that's what all the spamers say. PS STOP, it doesn't work. 

Re: SMS Short code Spam

2 of 3 (517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 6:58:41 AM
(0)
Expert

spammenot wrote:

Short answer, you can't 

actually short code can come from any provider, including international providers they are is just not limited to the carrier that the cell phone is on. So it can come from a verizon customer, sprint, or any other wireless / wired carrier in existance

spammenot wrote:

Short answer, you can't 

actually short code can come from any provider, including international providers they are is just not limited to the carrier that the cell phone is on. So it can come from a verizon customer, sprint, or any other wireless / wired carrier in existance

Re: SMS Short code Spam

3 of 3 (514 Views)