View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 8:36:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yes, only one can be active at one time, but the possibility of having two SIM cards for the same number has existed in Europe for a number of years. For example: http://support.en.belgacom.be/app/answers/detail/a_id/11778/~/two-sim-cards-for-the-same-phone-numbe...

The hack is unlikely to affect any AT&T customers unless they're holding on to their SIM cards from the 90s. AFAIK AT&T uses at least 3DES (instead of the hacked single DES) encryption in their cards.

Yes, only one can be active at one time, but the possibility of having two SIM cards for the same number has existed in Europe for a number of years. For example: http://support.en.belgacom.be/app/answers/detail/a_id/11778/~/two-sim-cards-for-the-same-phone-number%3A-is-it-possible%3F

The hack is unlikely to affect any AT&T customers unless they're holding on to their SIM cards from the 90s. AFAIK AT&T uses at least 3DES (instead of the hacked single DES) encryption in their cards.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: SIM Clone Hacking?

2 of 6 (2,067 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 5:50:28 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by spd2demun on Jul 22, 2013 at 5:53:19 PM

@dmapr

Thanks for the clarification!

I do have my old SIMs, but can't use in current smartphone. Keep old
phone as backup between purchases, or in case of emergency.

So, in theory, the old ATT/Cingular SIMs are still safe in the USA (at
this writing). Smiley Very Happy

@dmapr

Thanks for the clarification!

I do have my old SIMs, but can't use in current smartphone. Keep old
phone as backup between purchases, or in case of emergency.

So, in theory, the old ATT/Cingular SIMs are still safe in the USA (at
this writing). Smiley Very Happy

[ Edited ]
3 of 6 (2,027 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 9:35:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Yes, as far as I know. I'm not 100% sure about very old SIMs that were given when CIngular was still Pacific Bell in CA, before they went with national plans, but pretty sure those won't work in today's smartphones like you said Smiley Happy
Yes, as far as I know. I'm not 100% sure about very old SIMs that were given when CIngular was still Pacific Bell in CA, before they went with national plans, but pretty sure those won't work in today's smartphones like you said Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 6 (1,958 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 11:18:26 PM
(0)
Expert

Just let me know if you hear that this moves over here across the pond!  Smiley Very Happy

Just let me know if you hear that this moves over here across the pond!  Smiley Very Happy

5 of 6 (1,947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 9:55:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
LOL!
LOL!

6 of 6 (1,898 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments