Helpful Links

S4 Active clicking noise/depression on back cover. is it normal?

Tutor

S4 Active clicking noise/depression on back cover. is it normal?

Hi.
I just bought the S4 Active 3 days back. I noticed my phone gives a very light clicking sound under the led flash on the back cover. I went to the nearest att store and they saidd that it would be expected as it has a rubber lining on the inside. I just wanted to know if anyone else has this issue and whether it is normal. Or should I be worried if this is a defect.
Tags (1)
Message 1 of 19
Mentor

Re: S4 Active clicking noise/depression on back cover. is it normal?

the clicking is not normal.  you can contact samsung (as i believe att would contact them anyway) to find out why its making that noise. when does it make the clicking noise? are you doing anything specific or does it just randomly make the noise? this could be a defect that will get the phone replaced for you. sounds like a defect to me.

Message 2 of 19
Tutor

The clicking is very mild... its not a loud noise.... I did go to the store and the girl there said it was normal... I will call att up this afternoon to see what they say.
Message 3 of 19
Tutor

So I called att and they have asked me to give samsung a call.. however the rep did speak with samsung via chat and they said that they have not received any such notification for defects. I will call them up tomorrow and talk to them. Also even if there is a defect and there is water damage, they will not cover it under warranty which is kind of weird for a phone they claim to be water resistant.
Message 4 of 19
Mentor

if it states it is water resistant or waterproof you can argue the water damage if there is any. it has to say it on samsung or at7t website though

Message 5 of 19
Tutor

Well they have stated it widely all over their websites about its water resistant.. and even on television.... its just strange that they would advertise it in such a way and then not back it up with a warranty.. it shud be capable of doing things they have stated and advertised.. if it cannot due to some manufacturing defect they should at least cover it in their warranty.
Message 6 of 19
Expert

coolaks wrote:
Well they have stated it widely all over their websites about its water resistant.. and even on television.... its just strange that they would advertise it in such a way and then not back it up with a warranty.. it shud be capable of doing things they have stated and advertised.. if it cannot due to some manufacturing defect they should at least cover it in their warranty.

there are two distinct S4 models being sold, the standard S4 and the S4 Active. Since it is the first smartphone that is being marketed as water resistant there can be confusion.  Prior only basic phones where listed as such

001.PNG

Message 7 of 19
Tutor

Agreed.. but the tech support people did know it was the active... in fact I kept telling them that it was marketted as water resistant
Message 8 of 19
Employee

You have 14 days from the day of purchase to return the phone.

I have not heard of the S4 making this noise .Sounds like a defect to me. I would return to the store, and ask them to give you another one.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 19
Tutor

Ok,

I have just got my phone replaced. Here is how this story went. To get the phone replaced you have to go back to the point of purchase. So I went back to the AT&T store and asked the manager to replace it. The manager said that he has no issue replacing the phone for me but he stated that even the display one did the same. I said that may be true but I have been told that it is a defect by customer care from both Samsung and ATT. He said that I can replace the phone but he did not want me to go through all the trouble and then the same issue pops up and I think its a defect because someone on the phone from customer care who did not see the issue stated that its a defect. I said that I have to try a new phone. He stated that he did not have the blue one and it would come in stock by friday, but he did point me in the direction to a near by store where I can get it replaced.

So I went to the other store and talked to the manager. The funny thing is that their display piece did the same clicking thing. However, the manager had just removed a new phone for his own use and it did not make any such noise. The manager then removed a fresh piece for me as a replacment and it too did not make the noise. The manager conceded that it is possible that the first batches may have this fault and replaced my phone. 

I have the new phone it is working fine as of now (just a few hours as yet). However, even with my other phone I did not notice any noise till 2 days later, so I am going to wait and watch how this new one plays out. However I would advise other Active users to be cautious about this issue.

The worst part of all of this is that Samsung and ATT will not cover any moisture damage even if there was a defect in the phone. Which means if you have this clicking sound (and if it is a defect) and you get your phone wet and it stops working you are to be blamed. That is very strange for a phone which has been heavily marketed and advertised as being water resistant. I am not happy about this policy. ATT or Samsung should back up their advertisements and marketing by providing a better warranty coverage especially with all their claims.

Message 10 of 19
Highlighted
Mentor

this phone is advertised as water proof. if you get water damage is it really water proof? the AT&T website advertises this phone as "

• Water-resistant up to 1 meter for 30 minutes
    and dust-resistant (based on IP67 rating)"

if they advertise it as waterproof how are you going get water damage on this phone?

you can see the phone description here.  if att advertises this as waterproof for any amount of time it seems they would have to honor that because they have no way to tell if you just dropped it in a puddle and the phone quit working.

Message 11 of 19
Tutor

@dirtboy... it seems you would believe that they should honor their vast claims of it being water resistant... but I have spoken to at least 5 ATT reps and two Samsung reps and they have all stated that water damage due to defect would not be covered under warranty. Please let me know if you find out otherwise...
Message 12 of 19
Tutor

Update: July 9th 2013,

After a week of using my new replaced phone I have not noticed any clicking noise. I got a call from AT&T customer care asking me how I was regarding the problem and I told them that I have not noticed any similar problem. They said that is great. Then I went ahead and asked them that what if there was still water damage to the phone. They stated that it would not be covered under warranty. Then I asked her but since you advertise it as water resistant and even have a mode on it for under water photos, what if there is water damage. She said that Samsung advertises it. I told her AT&T advertises it as well, in fact when you go into the AT&T store, there is a huge wall saying how the active is water resistant and "life-proof". She said then she agrees it would be false advertising and that the case would be dealt by warranty on a case to case basis. I said ok so after the 14 days if I have problems with it I should just call and she said yes. I said ok and I was just about to confirm that it is ok for me to use the phone as if it is water resistant when she then suddenly said the code of the complaint (which I could not hear) and she said thank you and hung up even before I could say bye.

It was very unprofessional of the AT&T representative to hang up the call like that and honestly it is the first time it has happened to me. I am not a happy customer and AT&T should know that. I am posting it here so that others can read this entire history and ask AT&T if there is any water damage under conditions which they have advertised will they be pro-customer or would they rather be pro-money. And if the phone does get spoilt under conditions which they have advertised "under water photos" etc. isn't that false advertising. I ask for the opinion of the people. Let me know what you think.

Tags (1)
Message 13 of 19
Employee

Water resistant and waterproof both have a different meaning.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 14 of 19
Tutor

Agreed. But it is advertised to take photos underwater isn't it?

Message 15 of 19
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support