Removing Features on New Phones - Lumia 1520

Removing Features on New Phones - Lumia 1520

[ Edited ]

AT&T is going to carry the new Lumia 1520 that Nokia announced yesterday. Huge screen, 6 inches.

The 1520 will come with wireless charging shell as standard for the rest of the world but not with AT&T. The wireless charging shell will be a separate cost item.

AT&T has decided not to include Qi wireless charging shell as they did with the Lumia 1020.  Is it to reduce cost, reduce weight or keep it thinner?  I don't think so. For something as big as the 1520 it really doesn't matter.  AT&T is supporting the rival wireless charging standard from the Power Matters Alliance (PMA) instead of Qi and its customers.

The customers are getting the raw end of the deal.

See it in the Coming Soon section of phones.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/nokia-lumia-1520.html#fbid=Rk8ysMz7qNO

Message 1 of 35 (12,626 Views)
Teacher

Re: Removing Features on New Phones - Lumia 1520

[ Edited ]

Built in wireless charging might seem like a minor feature but after using it I don't want to have a device without it. I have a 920 and passed on the 1020 because of the lack of wireless charging just as you did. Hate to pass on the 1520 too but they are really gimping this phone.

Edit: Read some articles/posts on WPCentral over the weekend and there are rumors that there may be a 32GB version of the 1520 on AT&T. Someone had also posted a link to Nokia Developer that lists RM-938 which is believed to be a T-Mobile or Rogers version that has the global internals. AT&T version is apparently the RM-940.

Message 16 of 35 (12,016 Views)
Highlighted

kbilly70 wrote:

Built in wireless charging might seem like a minor feature but after using it I don't want to have a device without it. I have a 920 and passed on the 1020 because of the lack of wireless charging just as you did. Hate to pass on the 1520 too but they are really gimping this phone.

Edit: Read some articles/posts on WPCentral over the weekend and there are rumors that there may be a 32GB version of the 1520 on AT&T. Someone had also posted a link to Nokia Developer that lists RM-938 which is believed to be a T-Mobile or Rogers version that has the global internals. AT&T version is apparently the RM-940.

That is my post. All thought the RM-938 was a global version. When the 1520 was listed on the developer site it came up as a US variant. It still has 32GB memory, Qi wireless charging and the T-Mobile LTE band. We will have to wait and see where it lands.  It may take a while to show up because of AT&T exclusivity.

Wireless charging is better than sliced bread.

Message 17 of 35 (12,001 Views)
Teacher

JohnnyWalkerBlue wrote:

kbilly70 wrote:

That is my post. All thought the RM-938 was a global version. When the 1520 was listed on the developer site it came up as a US variant. It still has 32GB memory, Qi wireless charging and the T-Mobile LTE band. We will have to wait and see where it lands.  It may take a while to show up because of AT&T exclusivity.

Wireless charging is better than sliced bread.

Ah, didn't realize that was you! Thanks for the heads up. I agree about the wireless. We have a number of 920s for our business with the charging plates and are spoiled now. It's nice to just walk into your office and plop it down on the plate. As I said above, was really excited to get some 1520s for the increased screen real estate but with the changes I'm just going to have to pass. Maybe we'll get a global variant.

Message 18 of 35 (11,998 Views)
Scholar

I guess I'll stick with my 920 for a lil bit longer...
Message 19 of 35 (11,880 Views)
Teacher

Editorial about the changes AT&T is making to the 1520. Pretty good read.

http://pocketnow.com/2013/10/25/lumia-1520-wireless-charging-disaster

Message 20 of 35 (11,815 Views)
Mentor

Creep! Noway I gonna buy this phone! I will wait for international unlocked or Verizon version of 1520 to come out. Whichever comes first gets my money!
Message 21 of 35 (11,789 Views)
Community Manager

[ Edited ]

Charging on the go represents a major convenience for consumers and with new wireless charging standards and participating device and service providers, it's becoming a reality. We fully support the concept of an industry standard for wireless power and believe it has to expand beyond the home and office.  

In an effort to move toward making this a reality for consumers worldwide, we've placed our support for the public ecosystem roll out led by Power Matters Alliance (PMA). The PMA continues to expand membership and is building a strong ecosystem for wireless charging. The PMA solution is already installed at leading coffee shops, airports, stadiums, restaurants, gyms and more, which enables customers to wirelessly charge their phone while on the go.  

Creating an effortless user experience for consumers is a high priority for us and it means ensuring every detail of compatibility has been well thought out and tested before products are made available.  We've asked our device suppliers to embed PMA certified wireless charging capability into their devices beginning in 2014.   In the interim, we are working with our accessory partners to develop solutions as quickly as possible.

Today, our customers are already enjoying PMA accessories for several devices in our portfolio.  The Nokia Lumia 1520 will support the PMA standard via a wireless charging accessory available around launch time.

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 22 of 35 (11,654 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

What about shrinking original storage by half? You didn't mention that part.

QI was perfectly fine on Lumia 920! Using every day. What are we going to do with all pads that we purchased less than 1 year ago?

"Rethink Possible"??  It's so shame that AT$T's rethink hits their costomers...

Message 23 of 35 (11,644 Views)
Tutor

"Charging on the go represents a major convenience for consumers and with new wireless charging standards and participating device and service providers, it's becoming a reality. We fully support the concept of an industry standard for wireless power and believe it has to expand beyond the home and office.  

In an effort to move toward making this a reality for consumers worldwide, we've placed our support for the public ecosystem roll out led by Power Matters Alliance (PMA). The PMA continues to expand membership and is building a strong ecosystem for wireless charging. The PMA solution is already installed at leading coffee shops, airports, stadiums, restaurants, gyms and more, which enables customers to wirelessly charge their phone while on the go.  

Creating an effortless user experience for consumers is a high priority for us and it means ensuring every detail of compatibility has been well thought out and tested before products are made available.  We've asked our device suppliers to embed PMA certified wireless charging capability into their devices beginning in 2014.   In the interim, we are working with our accessory partners to develop solutions as quickly as possible.

Today, our customers are already enjoying PMA accessories for several devices in our portfolio.  The Nokia Lumia 1520 will support the PMA standard via a wireless charging accessory available around launch time."

Nice copy-and-paste job.  Two problems though:

First, you didn't address the 16GB memory, cutting in half what every other carrier in the world is offering.  When will that be mentioned?

Second, you backed the wrong horse with the PMA thing, especially since you've already been selling Qi-charging phones AND chargers!  By the way, nobody wants to put a 'wireless charging accessory' on their phones.  Ditch the whole 'charging shell' idea and use the built-in wireless charging that comes from Nokia!

If you can't work with your handset manufacturers, get out of your contract and let Verizon get the 'exclusive' phones.  We're tired of you gutting these great handsets!

Message 24 of 35 (11,547 Views)
Contributor

Same with me. I am a Verizon customer with contract up 12/15/13. Was going to switch to AT&T for Nokia 1520 and now I find that AT&T has dumbed down the specs of a great phone. What a disappointment. I had considered the Nokia 929 that Verizon will offer as a far inferior device but now I will be reconsidering. I also wanted the YELLOW color and initially the AT&T web site was showing only white, red, & black although the Nokia site while bragging the phone was coming to AT&T prominently featured YELLOW. Basically this whole thing is a debacle and greatly detracts from trust in Microsoft, Nokia, and AT&T. Perhaps it will be reason enough to continue on as an Android user on Verizon rather than switching to Windows Phone on AT&T.
Message 25 of 35 (11,515 Views)
Scholar

When cool Japanese cars get imported to the states they get watered down. When the Lumia 1520 comes to the states AT&T waters the device down. AT&T = Altering Technology & Torture
Message 26 of 35 (11,505 Views)
Community Manager

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone, here is an official announcement:

Introducing the New Nokia Lumia 1520!

And some awesome news, it'll be available in both 16GB and 32GB versions, plus it's expendable with a microSD card slot that supports up to 64GB cards and Free 50GB Cloud storage.

It'll be available in Matte Black, White, Yellow, and Glossy Red colors.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 27 of 35 (11,451 Views)
Contributor

Why would ATT cripple such a great phone????  WHY????

It is not fair to us loyal paying customers; international version is much better and unrestricted, even if it costs more, I am sure people would be willing to pay $100 dollars more to get it.

Specs wise the 1520 could have been their best phone in their inventory, instead they choose to heavily promote the heck out of  outdated Crapple phones!

ATT is not even promoting this phone on their website, the only way to know about it is if you look for it.

Nokia makes terrific phones and ATT simply disrespect them.

Time to start looking for the international version and ditch ATT!

Message 28 of 35 (11,444 Views)
Mentor

For how long Nokia Lumia 1520 will be AT&T exclusive?

Message 29 of 35 (11,431 Views)

Usually this period is six months. I haven't been able to find out for sure if this is any different.

Message 30 of 35 (11,392 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.