Ask a question

Highlighted
Posted May 11, 2013
12:17:35 PM
View profile
Recycled AT&T numbers and google voice

Hi,

I took out a new AT&T contract and got a new AT&T number about a year ago.  AT&T had recycled this number - it was previously assigned to someone else who had a google voice account and was redirecting calls to the AT&T number.  I don't use google voice and had no idea it was set up on (what became) my AT&T number.

The problem I have been having is unsolicited calls.  As an example: One of the calls was coming monthly from the San Marcos utility company telling me to pay a utility bill.  This was a recorded call and whenever I called the utility company back they could not find my AT&T number in the system and hence could not stop the calls.

I finally realized what the issue when I googled "to accept press 1" and realized that this was probably a call being redirected by google.

There are three problems here:
1) Google voice gets permission to redirect calls if a phone number is in someone's permission when they set up their account.  The permission isn't revoked when the cellphone number is recycled by the wireless operator

2) I had no idea that these calls were coming via google voice.  I was suspecting that the autodialer in the utility company was at fault and that all the other callers just had the wrong number when they were calling me.

3) My AT&T number is on the 'do not call' list, but the google voice number wasn't.  Google was the conduit that was allowing people to bypass the 'do not call' list.

I'd like to suggest that AT&T add google to the list of companies they unsubscribe phone numbers from before recycling them.

Recycled AT&T numbers and google voice

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2013 1:01:50 PM
(0)
Expert

Have never seen a list of companies thay get notified that the number has changed hands, have had phone numbers for teh kids that used to be a dead beats and kept getting collection agency calls from about the previous owners until I requested a number change.

Re: Recycled AT&T numbers and google voice

2 of 6 (1,431 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2013 3:14:40 PM
(0)
Contributor

I've not seen the list, but it is mentioned here:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB102428&cv=820&title=Block%20incoming%20calls%20and%20messages%20to%20your%20device#fbid=NwNlJW25lQb

"If you recently activated or changed your wireless number and started receiving calls and messages from Third Parties, the previous owner of your number may have subscribed to those alerts. AT&T takes steps to end such subscriptions before recycling and reassigning wireless number"

3 of 6 (1,406 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2013 4:59:03 AM
(0)
Expert

chrlay01 wrote:

I've not seen the list, but it is mentioned here:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB102428&cv=820&title=Block%20incoming%20calls%20and%20messages%20to%20your%20device#fbid=NwNlJW25lQb

"If you recently activated or changed your wireless number and started receiving calls and messages from Third Parties, the previous owner of your number may have subscribed to those alerts. AT&T takes steps to end such subscriptions before recycling and reassigning wireless number"

takes steps does not alway mean preventive, it can men reactive also - have always had to call in when something like this happened, on all thec carriers. There is no possible way of know where a number is floating around and who the information was sold to by websites or "free offer" sites

4 of 6 (1,339 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2013 9:31:18 PM
(0)
Contributor

"takes steps does not alway mean preventive"

No, but "takes steps ...before" clearly does imply there is some preventitive action at their end.

But I am not arguing over whether they should have avoided this problem - my specific problem is in the past and I have resolved it.  I am providing an explanation and a suggestion of how this could be solved for future customers (as a 'good neighbor').

Whether or not AT&T do anything about this is their choice.  In my experience they tend to have good customer service and try to do right by their customers.  But I don't have any desire to get into a debate speculating on why they would/wouldn't take this onboard.

Note: This thread is all about call forwarding and not about marketting calls in general.

5 of 6 (1,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2013 1:33:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

Just an FYI because I have used google voice before. When you set up a Google Voice number it requires that you verify the number is yours by calling you with a code that you must enter to finish the set up. If you set up a google voice number of your own to your cell phone number it should deactivate the previous google voice number linked to it. I am not completely positive because this was some time ago, but it should work.

6 of 6 (1,281 Views)