Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 28, 2013
12:51:32 AM
View profile
Question from a new ATT Customer

I am not sure if I am posting this in the right place or not, I have not done this kind off email before and do not understand how everything works:

I am interested in the 10 cents per minute plan and would add the $5 per 200 email messages option.  I do not need much Internet access when away from home, but it is useful at times (ie checking the weather).  I have an older ATT phone that I think would serve my needs, but need a new phone number to activate it.  Do I need to purchase a new sim card?  Also, which should I do first?  Buy the airtime card, and sim card if necessary?  Or set up an online account?  Would it be easier if I went to an ATT store? (Although I have been told they don't have the airtime cards.)  Is there anything else that I need to do, or consider?  This is all new to me, we used to have our cell phones bundled with our landline and DSL but have had to cut expenses and other family members are using other carriers.  Thank you for your help.

I am not sure if I am posting this in the right place or not, I have not done this kind off email before and do not understand how everything works:

I am interested in the 10 cents per minute plan and would add the $5 per 200 email messages option.  I do not need much Internet access when away from home, but it is useful at times (ie checking the weather).  I have an older ATT phone that I think would serve my needs, but need a new phone number to activate it.  Do I need to purchase a new sim card?  Also, which should I do first?  Buy the airtime card, and sim card if necessary?  Or set up an online account?  Would it be easier if I went to an ATT store? (Although I have been told they don't have the airtime cards.)  Is there anything else that I need to do, or consider?  This is all new to me, we used to have our cell phones bundled with our landline and DSL but have had to cut expenses and other family members are using other carriers.  Thank you for your help.

Question from a new ATT Customer

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 9:21:53 AM
(0)
Mentor

Keep in mind if you get a smartphone such as the Fusion 2, you will not be able to get data using the .10/min plan.

Why? They want to force you to get a more expensive plan.

Mike

Keep in mind if you get a smartphone such as the Fusion 2, you will not be able to get data using the .10/min plan.

Why? They want to force you to get a more expensive plan.

Mike

Re: Question from a new ATT Customer

2 of 4 (254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 11:35:37 AM
(0)
Voyager

Mike,

Thank you for your thoughts.  The possibility of upgrading to a smartphone is nigh impossible, at least until our income doubles (or triples) as we are having trouble keeping up with even the most basic costs of living. 

My cell phone is really considered optional.  I currently have no active account and am trying to find the most cost effective way to have *something* that will work on the rare occasions that I need it.

Mike,

Thank you for your thoughts.  The possibility of upgrading to a smartphone is nigh impossible, at least until our income doubles (or triples) as we are having trouble keeping up with even the most basic costs of living. 

My cell phone is really considered optional.  I currently have no active account and am trying to find the most cost effective way to have *something* that will work on the rare occasions that I need it.

3 of 4 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 12:17:35 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by FVShaw on Aug 28, 2013 at 12:22:43 PM

My questions remain:

1   I have an older ATT phone that I think would serve my needs well, but know that I do need a new phone number to activate it.  Do I need to purchase a new sim card?

2   Which should I do first?  Buy the airtime card, and sim card if necessary? (It will be a few days before I get there.)

Or, set up an online account? (I know I can do it online anytime.)

3   Would it be easier if I went to an ATT store? (Although I have been told they don't have the airtime cards.) 

4   Would this account be considered a "Go Phone" account?

5   Is there anything else that I need to do, or consider?

Thank you for your help.

My questions remain:

1   I have an older ATT phone that I think would serve my needs well, but know that I do need a new phone number to activate it.  Do I need to purchase a new sim card?

2   Which should I do first?  Buy the airtime card, and sim card if necessary? (It will be a few days before I get there.)

Or, set up an online account? (I know I can do it online anytime.)

3   Would it be easier if I went to an ATT store? (Although I have been told they don't have the airtime cards.) 

4   Would this account be considered a "Go Phone" account?

5   Is there anything else that I need to do, or consider?

Thank you for your help.

[ Edited ]
4 of 4 (231 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments