Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 20, 2013
6:18:04 AM
View profile
Question about ported phone numbers being associated with wrong iPhones in order summary

Switched back to AT&T from Verizon today - porting five numbers - and ordered a bunch of iPhones. (Had to do it over the phone as the internet process was flaky.) In the Order Confirmation e-mail they sent me, two of the numbers are associated with the wrong phones. Normally, I wouldn't consider this an issue, however one of the numbers that is supposed to be associated with an iPhone 5S is instead attached to an iPhone 4S - and vice versa.

I called back to see if they could correct the number association and was told the order was already processing because I accepted the TOS. However, she also told me that it wasn't an issue and that when I receive the phones to simply call AT&T and they would change the number associations. I wasn't sure this was possible though because I thought the 5S and 4S use different type SIM cards. She said not to worry.

So...can anybody shed some light on this for me? Will it be no problem or not? Thanks in advance.

Switched back to AT&T from Verizon today - porting five numbers - and ordered a bunch of iPhones. (Had to do it over the phone as the internet process was flaky.) In the Order Confirmation e-mail they sent me, two of the numbers are associated with the wrong phones. Normally, I wouldn't consider this an issue, however one of the numbers that is supposed to be associated with an iPhone 5S is instead attached to an iPhone 4S - and vice versa.

I called back to see if they could correct the number association and was told the order was already processing because I accepted the TOS. However, she also told me that it wasn't an issue and that when I receive the phones to simply call AT&T and they would change the number associations. I wasn't sure this was possible though because I thought the 5S and 4S use different type SIM cards. She said not to worry.

So...can anybody shed some light on this for me? Will it be no problem or not? Thanks in advance.

Question about ported phone numbers being associated with wrong iPhones in order summary

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2013 7:52:46 AM
(0)
Expert

bsangs wrote:

it can be done, better to go into a corporate store to handle it with the sim differences.Have a feeling you are going to be waiting for a while if you ordered 5S's

bsangs wrote:

it can be done, better to go into a corporate store to handle it with the sim differences.Have a feeling you are going to be waiting for a while if you ordered 5S's

Re: Question about ported phone numbers being associated with wrong iPhones in order summary

2 of 9 (666 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2013 7:52:49 AM
(0)
Former Employee

bsangs wrote:

If you call before you activate the SIM cards, yes they should be able to change the number associations. However, if you activate the SIM cards before calling, then you will need new SIM's since you won't be able to swap between 5S and 4S.

bsangs wrote:

If you call before you activate the SIM cards, yes they should be able to change the number associations. However, if you activate the SIM cards before calling, then you will need new SIM's since you won't be able to swap between 5S and 4S.

Re: Question about ported phone numbers being associated with wrong iPhones in order summary

3 of 9 (665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2013 7:55:35 AM
(0)
Expert

sandblaster wrote:

bsangs wrote:

If I recall correctly the 4S and 5S use different size sim's so a trip to a corporate store is pretty much required, iphone 5s uses a nano sim, the 4s uses a micro sim

sandblaster wrote:

bsangs wrote:

If I recall correctly the 4S and 5S use different size sim's so a trip to a corporate store is pretty much required, iphone 5s uses a nano sim, the 4s uses a micro sim

4 of 9 (660 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2013 8:08:21 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by bsangs on Sep 20, 2013 at 8:10:22 AM

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a "corporate store?"

And yes, I'm aware we'll be waiting a bit for the 5Ss. No big deal. Smiley Happy Though you'd think that the anticipated long wait would have made it easier to correct their mistake this morning, but once it hits the "processing" stage, they can't change it according to the rep I spoke with.

And yes, I'm aware we'll be waiting a bit for the 5Ss. No big deal. Smiley Happy Though you'd think that the anticipated long wait would have made it easier to correct their mistake this morning, but once it hits the "processing" stage, they can't change it according to the rep I spoke with.

[ Edited ]
5 of 9 (653 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2013 9:14:20 AM
(0)
Expert

bsangs wrote:

A Corproate store is one that is actually owned and run by ATT, they also have authorized retail stores that are run by other companies or a franchise run by a indiviidual owner. Some authorized retail will give you a sim at no charge but a lot of them charge to replace a sim, have never had to pay for a sim card at any corporate store.

bsangs wrote:

A Corproate store is one that is actually owned and run by ATT, they also have authorized retail stores that are run by other companies or a franchise run by a indiviidual owner. Some authorized retail will give you a sim at no charge but a lot of them charge to replace a sim, have never had to pay for a sim card at any corporate store.

6 of 9 (617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2013 10:41:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

Gotcha, thanks.

Well, I was just on the phone with a rep for about 25 minutes, she talked to sales and some other people and insisted to me (very pleasantly I might add) that upon receipt of the phones, all I need to do is call the number porting department and they will take care of it for me over the phone, with no trip necessary to the store. So guess I'll give that a shot when the time comes and if that fails, make a trip to a company store. 

Gotcha, thanks.

Well, I was just on the phone with a rep for about 25 minutes, she talked to sales and some other people and insisted to me (very pleasantly I might add) that upon receipt of the phones, all I need to do is call the number porting department and they will take care of it for me over the phone, with no trip necessary to the store. So guess I'll give that a shot when the time comes and if that fails, make a trip to a company store. 

7 of 9 (593 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2013 12:51:46 PM
(0)
Former Employee

wingrider01 wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

bsangs wrote:

True once the new SIM cards are activated with the wrong number associated to it but if OP calls AT&T before activating the SIMs and they are able to re-associate the SIM's with the correct number, then new SIMs would not be needed.

wingrider01 wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

bsangs wrote:

True once the new SIM cards are activated with the wrong number associated to it but if OP calls AT&T before activating the SIMs and they are able to re-associate the SIM's with the correct number, then new SIMs would not be needed.

8 of 9 (574 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2013 12:54:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

sandblaster wrote:

Not to go all Michael Scott here, but yeah, that's what she said. Smiley Wink

sandblaster wrote:

Not to go all Michael Scott here, but yeah, that's what she said. Smiley Wink

9 of 9 (568 Views)