Question about Sharing data?

Contributor

Question about Sharing data?

My 2 year contract with ATT has expired for over a year and I want to switch from my non-smartphone to a smartphone. 

Now today I found out you HAVE to purchase a data plan to activate a smartphone. I have looked all over the internet for ways around this but to no success. So I've accepted it.

Then i remember reading a post called about Data Sharing? Is that it? If i understand the name that means 2 people can share one data plan?

Currently my grandma is currently paying for my bill for just Talk and Text. And she recently got a smartphone I think. I don't know what type of data plan she has though. 

So I'm wondering If I can get a smartphone and put it on Data Sharing. Then turn off the Data Receiving option on my phone so she can just use the data. And instead of having 2 data plans and 2 Talk and Text plans, it will be 1 data plan (hopefully the same price) and 2 talk and text plans like before.

Am I correct on this?

I have no intention of using data, just wifi

Message 1 of 4
Expert

Re: Question about Sharing data?

Ginkey wrote:

My 2 year contract with ATT has expired for over a year and I want to switch from my non-smartphone to a smartphone. 

Now today I found out you HAVE to purchase a data plan to activate a smartphone. I have looked all over the internet for ways around this but to no success. So I've accepted it.

Then i remember reading a post called about Data Sharing? Is that it? If i understand the name that means 2 people can share one data plan?

Currently my grandma is currently paying for my bill for just Talk and Text. And she recently got a smartphone I think. I don't know what type of data plan she has though. 

So I'm wondering If I can get a smartphone and put it on Data Sharing. Then turn off the Data Receiving option on my phone so she can just use the data. And instead of having 2 data plans and 2 Talk and Text plans, it will be 1 data plan (hopefully the same price) and 2 talk and text plans like before.

Am I correct on this?

I have no intention of using data, just wifi

It's called mobile share. unlimited talk and text and you pick the amount of data. You can turn off the cellular data but there are drawbacks, you will not be able to send or recieve MMS messages, the attached files require cellular data, if the phone has visual voicemail that will not work either.

Message 2 of 4
Contributor

I won't mind not sending MMS. I bet there are apps that can be used to send images or videos that I can use with just wifi

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Expert

Ginkey wrote:

I won't mind not sending MMS. I bet there are apps that can be used to send images or videos that I can use with just wifi

Yes, there are and there are some that the other person/ people also have to have installed on their phones in order to use them to send your pics or videos.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support