Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 21, 2014
2:45:42 PM
Q10 Overseas

I'm a U.S. resident and plan to use my (locked) AT&T Q10 with the BlackBerry Unlimited Data Plan in France for data and calling.  I might decide to also use it for messaging.

I know I need to set this up with AT&T in advance.  Here are my questions?

What exactly do I need to do to avoid billing surprises?  Especially surprises with roaming charges?

Any other things I should know???

Thanks!

. . . .  Pete

I'm a U.S. resident and plan to use my (locked) AT&T Q10 with the BlackBerry Unlimited Data Plan in France for data and calling.  I might decide to also use it for messaging.

I know I need to set this up with AT&T in advance.  Here are my questions?

What exactly do I need to do to avoid billing surprises?  Especially surprises with roaming charges?

Any other things I should know???

Thanks!

. . . .  Pete

Q10 Overseas

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 9:40:15 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hey Pete,

You will want to review international plans first, decide which plan will work for you and add them to your account before you leave, you can of course remove them when you come back.

You can view plans HERE, and add them via myAT&T or by contacting Customer Care.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hey Pete,

You will want to review international plans first, decide which plan will work for you and add them to your account before you leave, you can of course remove them when you come back.

You can view plans HERE, and add them via myAT&T or by contacting Customer Care.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Q10 Overseas

2 of 7 (435 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 10:36:12 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by petercreasey on Apr 23, 2014 at 10:37:30 AM

ATTDmitriyCM wrote:You will want to review international plans first, decide which plan will work for you and add them to your account before you leave
____________________________________________________________________________________
Dmitriy,  thanks for the reply!
And, yes, I have reviewed the plans.  Perhaps you're not aware, but there are often BIG surprises as to the expense of data usage; thus, I'm asking what the settings should be so that I have data and phone capability handy but without incurring huge $$$ charges, especially those due to roaming.

. . . .  Pete

ATTDmitriyCM wrote:You will want to review international plans first, decide which plan will work for you and add them to your account before you leave
____________________________________________________________________________________
Dmitriy,  thanks for the reply!
And, yes, I have reviewed the plans.  Perhaps you're not aware, but there are often BIG surprises as to the expense of data usage; thus, I'm asking what the settings should be so that I have data and phone capability handy but without incurring huge $$$ charges, especially those due to roaming.

. . . .  Pete

[ Edited ]
3 of 7 (430 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 11:47:56 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Might be the best to avoid using mobile data as much as possible and disable it in network setting until needed, and stick to wi-fi.

Honestly, last time I traveled internationally, I disabled data roaming all together and only used calls and texts.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Might be the best to avoid using mobile data as much as possible and disable it in network setting until needed, and stick to wi-fi.

Honestly, last time I traveled internationally, I disabled data roaming all together and only used calls and texts.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 7 (424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 12:15:56 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by petercreasey on Apr 23, 2014 at 12:18:43 PM

ATTDmitriyCM wrote:, last time I traveled internationally, I disabled data roaming all together

Dmitriy,  A few questions if data roaming is disabled:

1)  Can cell phone calls and email still be made and received with this approach?

2)  Will there be no data charges incurred with this approach?

3)  If only wifi is ON -- I have never connected to a hotspot so is this easily done, say, in France?  And is there any difficulty connected to wifi at, say, hotels, etc. using their password?

Thanks!

. . . .  Pete

ATTDmitriyCM wrote:, last time I traveled internationally, I disabled data roaming all together

Dmitriy,  A few questions if data roaming is disabled:

1)  Can cell phone calls and email still be made and received with this approach?

2)  Will there be no data charges incurred with this approach?

3)  If only wifi is ON -- I have never connected to a hotspot so is this easily done, say, in France?  And is there any difficulty connected to wifi at, say, hotels, etc. using their password?

Thanks!

. . . .  Pete

[ Edited ]
5 of 7 (417 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 2:40:36 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Sure.

1. If you disable Mobile Data or Data Roaming (pretty much the same effect overseas), you can still make and receive calls and text messages, but no emails or picture messages, you can receive email when you connect to wi-fi.

2. If you disable Mobile Data you won't see any data charges, your call will still cost extra per minute, depending on your plan, text messages might be included or have an extra charge too.

3. Wi-Fi works the same way there as it is here, you'll just need to go to your Wi-Fi settings, select an available network and enter a password if it's required.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Sure.

1. If you disable Mobile Data or Data Roaming (pretty much the same effect overseas), you can still make and receive calls and text messages, but no emails or picture messages, you can receive email when you connect to wi-fi.

2. If you disable Mobile Data you won't see any data charges, your call will still cost extra per minute, depending on your plan, text messages might be included or have an extra charge too.

3. Wi-Fi works the same way there as it is here, you'll just need to go to your Wi-Fi settings, select an available network and enter a password if it's required.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

6 of 7 (394 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 5:48:46 PM
(0)
Scholar

Dmitriy, I believe you have answered my questions. Thanks!

. . . . Pete

Dmitriy, I believe you have answered my questions. Thanks!

. . . . Pete

7 of 7 (386 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments