Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 11, 2014
10:11:34 AM
View profile
Prorated charges for plan changes

Hello all,

I am very confused about the prorated charges on plan changes even after I chat with two reps. 

For the billing cycle 1/21-2/20, I was on $20 data plan. I changed it in the middle of the cycle to $30 data plan, and made it "BACK DATE EFFECTIVE".

Here is my question, if it was "BACK DATE EFFECTIVE", why am I still charged $10.67 for prorated plan? Where are the days for these charges? The $30 data plan should cover the whole 1/21-2/20 billing cycle as I understand. 

Hello all,

I am very confused about the prorated charges on plan changes even after I chat with two reps. 

For the billing cycle 1/21-2/20, I was on $20 data plan. I changed it in the middle of the cycle to $30 data plan, and made it "BACK DATE EFFECTIVE".

Here is my question, if it was "BACK DATE EFFECTIVE", why am I still charged $10.67 for prorated plan? Where are the days for these charges? The $30 data plan should cover the whole 1/21-2/20 billing cycle as I understand. 

Prorated charges for plan changes

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 12:31:16 AM
(0)
Employee

Att bills one full month in advance.

In your case, this means that you were charged, not only the price plan difference for the next month, but the amount that you "underpaid" for the previous month.  So, the prorated charges section should state that you are receiving a $30 charge and a $20 credit as you were given your full money back for the $20 plan and charged the full $30 for the new plan and then the next month's $30 was placed under your monthly charges section of your bill.

Att bills one full month in advance.

In your case, this means that you were charged, not only the price plan difference for the next month, but the amount that you "underpaid" for the previous month.  So, the prorated charges section should state that you are receiving a $30 charge and a $20 credit as you were given your full money back for the $20 plan and charged the full $30 for the new plan and then the next month's $30 was placed under your monthly charges section of your bill.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Prorated charges for plan changes

2 of 3 (714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 3:09:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

To expand on lunarrush's answer, here's basic timeline:

1/21: You were billed $20 for the data plan between 1/21 and 2/20.

1/31: You changed to $30 data plan effective 1/21.

2/21: New bill prints. You are billed the $30 data plan for 2/21 to 3/21. However, you also owe an additional $10 for the data plan between 1/21 and 1/31 that you haven't paid yet.

The extra $.67 is because AT&T's system bills you for both plan on the day of change. You can get that credited if you call. 

To expand on lunarrush's answer, here's basic timeline:

1/21: You were billed $20 for the data plan between 1/21 and 2/20.

1/31: You changed to $30 data plan effective 1/21.

2/21: New bill prints. You are billed the $30 data plan for 2/21 to 3/21. However, you also owe an additional $10 for the data plan between 1/21 and 1/31 that you haven't paid yet.

The extra $.67 is because AT&T's system bills you for both plan on the day of change. You can get that credited if you call. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Prorated charges for plan changes

3 of 3 (705 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments