Posted Dec 30, 2013
11:06:35 AM
View profile
Problem moving sim cards between go-phones

Have used GO Phones for years, simply moving sim card from one to another as I needed a new phone.  Until recently, my sim still was branded Cingular  :smileyhappy: 

Then I bought a Z431 a couple of month ago and it gets really bad reception in my house even though we have ALWAYS had great ATT coverage here.  Seriously, It often says "emergency calls only" or simply "no service."  Turning off and on, removing and replacing battery and sim seem to have no effect.  It was suggested that my sim card was going bad so I replaced it with a brand new one. 

This has not solved the problem so I decided to put the sim back in my old phone and it wouldn't work.  Says invalid sim.  Have a brand new Alcatel that I tried it in to see if it got better service - same eroor message. 

I have never had this issue before.  Do you think my sim is bad again or Is my sim card now somehow locked to this phone?  Then why do the instructions on the new phone say to just put my old sim in? 

Also, If I call ATT for help, will they simply lock it to the new Alcatel phone?  If it isn't any better reception I may want to switch basck to my old phone.   Will I have to call ATT every time I want to experiment with this drawer full of old phones I have? By the way, these are not smart phones - just plain old talk and text phones.

Anyone know?

Have used GO Phones for years, simply moving sim card from one to another as I needed a new phone.  Until recently, my sim still was branded Cingular  :smileyhappy: 

Then I bought a Z431 a couple of month ago and it gets really bad reception in my house even though we have ALWAYS had great ATT coverage here.  Seriously, It often says "emergency calls only" or simply "no service."  Turning off and on, removing and replacing battery and sim seem to have no effect.  It was suggested that my sim card was going bad so I replaced it with a brand new one. 

This has not solved the problem so I decided to put the sim back in my old phone and it wouldn't work.  Says invalid sim.  Have a brand new Alcatel that I tried it in to see if it got better service - same eroor message. 

I have never had this issue before.  Do you think my sim is bad again or Is my sim card now somehow locked to this phone?  Then why do the instructions on the new phone say to just put my old sim in? 

Also, If I call ATT for help, will they simply lock it to the new Alcatel phone?  If it isn't any better reception I may want to switch basck to my old phone.   Will I have to call ATT every time I want to experiment with this drawer full of old phones I have? By the way, these are not smart phones - just plain old talk and text phones.

Anyone know?

Problem moving sim cards between go-phones

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 11:17:04 AM
(0)
Employee

Hi dklaux,

Is the replacement SIM you got branded as a GoPhone SIM? If so in most cases the SIM gets locked to the first IMEI that it sees and you need to get a replacement.

If it is just a regular SIM it could be defective. You can go to any Comapny retail store to get a replacement and ensure you GoPhone account is updated with the most recent IMEI that you are using. The new SIM won't be locked to the phone you have or any phones you put into.

I will say that if you are using older Cingular devices some of them if they are really old will not see the newer SIM cards. Some of our really older Cingular devices (GATE phones) can not be activated at all any more and will fail with the SIM cards. Any Company Retail store would be able to check this for you.

Hi dklaux,

Is the replacement SIM you got branded as a GoPhone SIM? If so in most cases the SIM gets locked to the first IMEI that it sees and you need to get a replacement.

If it is just a regular SIM it could be defective. You can go to any Comapny retail store to get a replacement and ensure you GoPhone account is updated with the most recent IMEI that you are using. The new SIM won't be locked to the phone you have or any phones you put into.

I will say that if you are using older Cingular devices some of them if they are really old will not see the newer SIM cards. Some of our really older Cingular devices (GATE phones) can not be activated at all any more and will fail with the SIM cards. Any Company Retail store would be able to check this for you.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Problem moving sim cards between go-phones

2 of 11 (3,820 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 12:11:34 PM
(0)
Tutor

My replacement sim was one that came with a go phone I previously bought.  Over the years, we have simply moved to old sims to new phones and stuck the brand new sims in a desk drawer.  This past year, we have had to replace the cingular sims on all the kids phones so it made sense to me that mine might be failing too.  I replaced it with one from the drawer - and yes they all say GO Phone on them.

If I understood your post, you are saying that if the sims say GO Phone on them they will be locked to the phone and I need a new sim for any GO Phone I buy and cannot simply move my old one over?  This does not jive with the information on the go phone quick start which says simply install your old sim in the new phone.

The phones that gave me the error message are not that old - in fact the Alcatel is brand new.  I used it for a few days and then discovered it did not have voice dialing - so I bought the Z431 which was described as having that feature (it does not by the way).  I have had no service at all on my phone for hours today (or i would call ATT) and am rather frustrated.

My replacement sim was one that came with a go phone I previously bought.  Over the years, we have simply moved to old sims to new phones and stuck the brand new sims in a desk drawer.  This past year, we have had to replace the cingular sims on all the kids phones so it made sense to me that mine might be failing too.  I replaced it with one from the drawer - and yes they all say GO Phone on them.

If I understood your post, you are saying that if the sims say GO Phone on them they will be locked to the phone and I need a new sim for any GO Phone I buy and cannot simply move my old one over?  This does not jive with the information on the go phone quick start which says simply install your old sim in the new phone.

The phones that gave me the error message are not that old - in fact the Alcatel is brand new.  I used it for a few days and then discovered it did not have voice dialing - so I bought the Z431 which was described as having that feature (it does not by the way).  I have had no service at all on my phone for hours today (or i would call ATT) and am rather frustrated.

3 of 11 (3,802 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 12:59:53 PM
(0)
Employee

When the GoPhones first came out, they were set to be locked to the device that it was first activated in. This was for security and in many cases still happens (this is so if someone was was to steal your phone and use it in their own device it would fail to work).

The simple solution is to get a non-GoPhone AT&T SIM. These are never locked to any one device, just tied to your account and you can move them back and forth as you see fit. The guide on the back of the phone and in the book are correct that you usually should just have to move the SIM over, but it seems that there is some sort of issue that is causing your SIM to be blocked.

The Alcatel and the ZTE should have no issues (I know both of those are newer devices within our device lineups). If you have any spare unactiaved SIM cards, you can attempt to call customer care (1-800-331-0500) to have it activated. I would hightly suggest at your earliest chance to get a non-AT&T SIM.

When the GoPhones first came out, they were set to be locked to the device that it was first activated in. This was for security and in many cases still happens (this is so if someone was was to steal your phone and use it in their own device it would fail to work).

The simple solution is to get a non-GoPhone AT&T SIM. These are never locked to any one device, just tied to your account and you can move them back and forth as you see fit. The guide on the back of the phone and in the book are correct that you usually should just have to move the SIM over, but it seems that there is some sort of issue that is causing your SIM to be blocked.

The Alcatel and the ZTE should have no issues (I know both of those are newer devices within our device lineups). If you have any spare unactiaved SIM cards, you can attempt to call customer care (1-800-331-0500) to have it activated. I would hightly suggest at your earliest chance to get a non-AT&T SIM.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 11 (3,793 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 2:32:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

logo412 wrote:

I would hightly suggest at your earliest chance to get a non-AT&T SIM.

I think you meant to say get a non-GoPhone SIM? Otherwise, the phone would not work with a SIM from another carrier. 

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

logo412 wrote:

I would hightly suggest at your earliest chance to get a non-AT&T SIM.

I think you meant to say get a non-GoPhone SIM? Otherwise, the phone would not work with a SIM from another carrier. 

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 11 (3,780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 7:54:33 PM
(0)
Employee
Yes I apologize, it should be a non-GoPhone AT&T SIM.

Yes I apologize, it should be a non-GoPhone AT&T SIM.

6 of 11 (3,759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2013 9:01:04 AM
(0)
Teacher

For what it's worth, a couple of weeks ago I bought a GoPhone-branded SIM from Radio Shack. I used it in an old phone initially for signal testing, then transferred it to my main phone after a few days. It worked fine in both. Maybe the rules are different for standalone SIMs vs. SIMs distributed with phones?

For what it's worth, a couple of weeks ago I bought a GoPhone-branded SIM from Radio Shack. I used it in an old phone initially for signal testing, then transferred it to my main phone after a few days. It worked fine in both. Maybe the rules are different for standalone SIMs vs. SIMs distributed with phones?

7 of 11 (3,732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2013 9:14:39 AM
(0)
Employee

The standalone SIM's that Radio Shack and other retailers sell are not tied to an IMEI and don't get locked into a device. If you buy a new GoPhone device and then activate the SIM that comes in the box with it, that is when it could lock it to that device.

The standalone SIM's that Radio Shack and other retailers sell are not tied to an IMEI and don't get locked into a device. If you buy a new GoPhone device and then activate the SIM that comes in the box with it, that is when it could lock it to that device.

8 of 11 (3,728 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2014 5:29:46 AM
(0)
Tutor
Hi,

I recently had the following experience:

- I bought a new Go Phone (Alcatel 510A), along with a refill card from AT&T's website
- In parallel, I ordered a new unlocked GSM phone
- After both the above arrived, I took the SIM that came with the 510A, and put it into the unlocked phone
- When I powered on the phone, I activated the SIM and entered the numbers on the refill card
- The unlocked phone worked
- I moved the SIM to the 510A
- When I powered the 510A on, it worked (on AT&T Go Phone)

So, at least in my case, the SIM that came with the 510A Go Phone didn't get locked to either the unlocked phone or to the Go Phone 510A.
Hi,

I recently had the following experience:

- I bought a new Go Phone (Alcatel 510A), along with a refill card from AT&T's website
- In parallel, I ordered a new unlocked GSM phone
- After both the above arrived, I took the SIM that came with the 510A, and put it into the unlocked phone
- When I powered on the phone, I activated the SIM and entered the numbers on the refill card
- The unlocked phone worked
- I moved the SIM to the 510A
- When I powered the 510A on, it worked (on AT&T Go Phone)

So, at least in my case, the SIM that came with the 510A Go Phone didn't get locked to either the unlocked phone or to the Go Phone 510A.

9 of 11 (3,692 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 10:20:27 AM
(0)
Tutor

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this board - I am still experiencing almost daily service outages with this darn Z431 -  just learnig to live with it (and I had several people at home on school break whose phones I could grab if I needed to.) 

Thanks for all the input -

I guess I will try the non-go phone sim thing and let you know if it works.    Someone else suggested that I try finding a signal booster for the phone but I find the need to do that really irksome since we have always had excellent service at this location - I am sure it has somethign to do with the phone though because my daughter was experiencing the same problem with the same phone when she was visiting here.  Everyone else in the house also had ATT but had no service interruptions.

Thanks again to you all for your assistance

Kathy

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this board - I am still experiencing almost daily service outages with this darn Z431 -  just learnig to live with it (and I had several people at home on school break whose phones I could grab if I needed to.) 

Thanks for all the input -

I guess I will try the non-go phone sim thing and let you know if it works.    Someone else suggested that I try finding a signal booster for the phone but I find the need to do that really irksome since we have always had excellent service at this location - I am sure it has somethign to do with the phone though because my daughter was experiencing the same problem with the same phone when she was visiting here.  Everyone else in the house also had ATT but had no service interruptions.

Thanks again to you all for your assistance

Kathy

10 of 11 (3,389 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2014 4:08:53 PM
(0)
Scholar

If possible, check to see if there's a date on the " SIM Card Bracket" that the SIM card was sealed in to. If that date is close to being expired the SIM card may not work properly( I believe you said you used, or saved older Sim cards). This may not be the case with ATT GoPhones, but its common amongst T-Mobile, and other GSM based networks.

If possible, check to see if there's a date on the " SIM Card Bracket" that the SIM card was sealed in to. If that date is close to being expired the SIM card may not work properly( I believe you said you used, or saved older Sim cards). This may not be the case with ATT GoPhones, but its common amongst T-Mobile, and other GSM based networks.

11 of 11 (3,009 Views)