Prepaid SIM for overseas visitor

Contributor

Prepaid SIM for overseas visitor

Hi everyone - I'm an Australian visiting the US for 3 weeks next month. I would like to purchase an AT&T prepaid SIM to use during my time there and have a few questions;

1. Will I be able to purchase a prepaid service from an AT&T store since I am not a US citizen?
  2. Can I use cash to purchase it or will I need to use a credit card? If so, am I able to use an Australian MasterCard?
  3. I am not interested in talk and text and would prefer a data-only plan; can I use a data-only or tablet SIM with my iPhone?
  4. Are AT&T pre-paid services auto-renewing? Will I need to cancel before I leave or does the service simply expire if I don't recharge after a certain amount of time?
  5. What process can I expect to follow when purchasing the service? Do I need to complete any paperwork or is it more of an in-and-out thing?

Thanks very much!

Message 1 of 3
Scholar

Re: Prepaid SIM for overseas visitor

1. YES

2. Cash is ok also your down under creditcard

3. NO!!!   tablet plans only works on tablets!!!!! For a Iphone you need a smartphone plan!

4. Only when you aktivate the auto-renewing --- use Refill-Pincodes there is no auto-renewing possible 

5. Go in a Store, buy the sim, acitivate in internet or in store, refill it ---- that´s it

Message 2 of 3
Master

Re: Prepaid SIM for overseas visitor

mtraynor.au wrote:

Hi everyone - I'm an Australian visiting the US for 3 weeks next month. I would like to purchase an AT&T prepaid SIM to use during my time there and have a few questions;

1. Will I be able to purchase a prepaid service from an AT&T store since I am not a US citizen?
  2. Can I use cash to purchase it or will I need to use a credit card? If so, am I able to use an Australian MasterCard?
  3. I am not interested in talk and text and would prefer a data-only plan; can I use a data-only or tablet SIM with my iPhone?
  4. Are AT&T pre-paid services auto-renewing? Will I need to cancel before I leave or does the service simply expire if I don't recharge after a certain amount of time?
  5. What process can I expect to follow when purchasing the service? Do I need to complete any paperwork or is it more of an in-and-out thing?

Thanks very much!

Hello! Osttiroler pretty much covered everything, but I would just like to add a few more details. 

3. In the past, (earlier this year, I believe) you actually could use smartphones/tablets on a prepaid plan without having to necessarily use a voice plan. People still had to select one, but it was their choice whether or not they wanted to use the plan for talking. This plan was the $0.10 per minute plan.

Now, AT&T has tweaked their policies a little. A voice plan is still required to use a smartphone such as an iPhone or a tablet. Before, all you had to do was select the $0.10 per minute plan and pay $25 (or more, depending on usage) for data only, plain and simple. Now, customers are confined to paying a monthly premium to use a smartphone or tablet, even if they do not desire to use voice or text capabilities. You have either one of two "logical" choices based on the cheapest plans with the largest data allotment. 

•  The $40 monthly plan, which includes 200MB of data usage with the option of purchasing extra amounts in 100MB increments. 500 nationwide voice minutes and unlimited messaging are also included as "goodies" -- in your case, "excess." Smiley Tongue

•  The $60 monthly plan, which includes 2GB of data usage with the option of purchasing extra amounts in 1GB increments. Unlimited nationwide voice minutes and unlimited messages are also included. If you are a heavier data user, this plan might be the best for you. Again, you do not have to use the voice or text part of the plan, but it's an added bonus if you do decide to pay for it. 

4. AT&T does have an auto renewal feature. When setting up a new account either online or in-store, be sure to make it clear that you DO NOT want to sign up for auto renewal. I have seen many times where an international visitor that visited the US was still charged on their credit card even when they were already back home in their native country. When you are not signed up for auto renewal, your service expires on it's own after a certain period of time. 

Hope this helps! 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 3 of 3
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support