Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 31, 2011
8:03:45 PM
View profile
Possible to upgrade GoPhone Online?

I am not clear on this. I thought I saw this somewhere abut I cannot now find it.  Is it possible to upgrade a GoPhone online (AT&T)? If so, what are the steps? On the getting a number steop, do I transfer current number or get a new number? Thanks.

I am not clear on this. I thought I saw this somewhere abut I cannot now find it.  Is it possible to upgrade a GoPhone online (AT&T)? If so, what are the steps? On the getting a number steop, do I transfer current number or get a new number? Thanks.

Possible to upgrade GoPhone Online?

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2011 4:47:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Jun 1, 2011 at 4:48:22 AM

Yes, you would just purchase one of the GoPhone packages from the at&t website and choose the "give me a new number" option.  The "transfer my number" option is if you are wanting to port a number from another wireless carrier.

Once the GoPhone and new SIM arrive, simply move your existing SIM to the new phone and begin using it.  Do not activate the new SIM with the new phone as the phone/SIM may become "locked" to one another for a certain timeframe.  ("Activation" instructions for using the phone on an existing account should be included in the box.)  Your account/plan information and phone number are tied to the SIM, not the device itself - so once you move your existing SIM to the new phone, that's all you need to do. Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Yes, you would just purchase one of the GoPhone packages from the at&t website and choose the "give me a new number" option.  The "transfer my number" option is if you are wanting to port a number from another wireless carrier.

Once the GoPhone and new SIM arrive, simply move your existing SIM to the new phone and begin using it.  Do not activate the new SIM with the new phone as the phone/SIM may become "locked" to one another for a certain timeframe.  ("Activation" instructions for using the phone on an existing account should be included in the box.)  Your account/plan information and phone number are tied to the SIM, not the device itself - so once you move your existing SIM to the new phone, that's all you need to do. Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Possible to upgrade GoPhone Online?

[ Edited ]
2 of 7 (7,989 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2011 9:10:38 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by fifteen89 on Jul 29, 2011 at 9:13:29 PM

So you can just buy a new phone (from anywhere including ebay)?

Can it be any phone?

Does it have to be an "unlocked" phone?

Does it have to be an "ATT" phone or "ATT gophone" phone?

And you just put the sim card from your current gophone in the new phone?

And you can keep your original gophone number? 

What happens to the new number/gophone plan you signed up for?

You don't need to be "eligible for an upgrade" or anything?

Can it be any phone?

[ Edited ]
3 of 7 (7,862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2011 7:22:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

fifteen89 wrote:

Can it be any phone?

Most certainly. You can purchase any AT&T phone you'd like to use (it does not have to be unlocked) on a GoPhone plan. It does NOT have to be a GoPhone, but it will eventually become a GoPhone once you place your prepaid GoPhone SIM card into the phone.

Yes, you simply can just transfer your existing SIM into the new phone and keep everything, including your phone number, account balance, feature packages, and account information. You can even store your contacts on the SIM so you don't have to manually enter each and every one into the new phone.

The new plan/phone number would just not be used and would eventually expire on its own unless you wanted to use it as a spare or another reason you may think of. "Upgrade eligibility"? Please. That does not exist with prepaid. Smiley Happy You can upgrade your phone how often and whenever you'd like. You can even use smartphones, like I am currently using on my GoPhone plan.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

fifteen89 wrote:

Can it be any phone?

Most certainly. You can purchase any AT&T phone you'd like to use (it does not have to be unlocked) on a GoPhone plan. It does NOT have to be a GoPhone, but it will eventually become a GoPhone once you place your prepaid GoPhone SIM card into the phone.

Yes, you simply can just transfer your existing SIM into the new phone and keep everything, including your phone number, account balance, feature packages, and account information. You can even store your contacts on the SIM so you don't have to manually enter each and every one into the new phone.

The new plan/phone number would just not be used and would eventually expire on its own unless you wanted to use it as a spare or another reason you may think of. "Upgrade eligibility"? Please. That does not exist with prepaid. Smiley Happy You can upgrade your phone how often and whenever you'd like. You can even use smartphones, like I am currently using on my GoPhone plan.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 7 (7,849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 8:37:50 AM
(0)
Contributor

To be clear, if I already have a GoPhone, want to keep my number and want to order a new phone online, I just need to swap out the SIM card when it arrives?

To be clear, if I already have a GoPhone, want to keep my number and want to order a new phone online, I just need to swap out the SIM card when it arrives?

5 of 7 (5,190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 2:16:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

wlcth wrote:

Yes, it is really that simple. Smiley Happy

Be aware that if you are considering upgrading to a smartphone, the SIM cards may be of different sizes. 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

wlcth wrote:

Yes, it is really that simple. Smiley Happy

Be aware that if you are considering upgrading to a smartphone, the SIM cards may be of different sizes. 

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

6 of 7 (5,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2015 3:08:40 PM
(0)
Contributor

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

SMOOTHSHAZ

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

SMOOTHSHAZ