Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 30, 2013
9:10:50 AM
Possible for at&t to bill separately for family plan?

We have a family plan of 4. My brother recently moved off to college. Is it possible for at&t to bill him separately? 

We have a family plan of 4. My brother recently moved off to college. Is it possible for at&t to bill him separately? 

Possible for at&t to bill separately for family plan?

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 10:20:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The short answer is no if he remains part of the same family plan. 

The longer answer would be it depends.  Your brother's line could be split off from the family plan onto an individual plan, but under the same account.  The downfall here is that total cost would probably rise and your brother's expenses are almost sure to rise.

There are probably some other scenarios, but I doubt that any would be financially better for you than what you have now unless you all are willing to give up some of the features and services that you currently have.

The short answer is no if he remains part of the same family plan. 

The longer answer would be it depends.  Your brother's line could be split off from the family plan onto an individual plan, but under the same account.  The downfall here is that total cost would probably rise and your brother's expenses are almost sure to rise.

There are probably some other scenarios, but I doubt that any would be financially better for you than what you have now unless you all are willing to give up some of the features and services that you currently have.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Possible for at&t to bill separately for family plan?

2 of 7 (6,116 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 10:54:10 AM
(0)
Employee

You can dial 877-971-6092 - AT&T Transfer of Billing Department.
Our representatives there can split that account up for you, a $18 transfer fee will apply.

You can also start the process online in MyATT, it's a little longer, but it's free!

You can dial 877-971-6092 - AT&T Transfer of Billing Department.
Our representatives there can split that account up for you, a $18 transfer fee will apply.

You can also start the process online in MyATT, it's a little longer, but it's free!

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 7 (6,109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 10:57:50 AM
(0)
Employee
Wireless Services > Wireless Service Changes >Transfer Billing Responsibility .
Wireless Services > Wireless Service Changes >Transfer Billing Responsibility .
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 7 (6,108 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 2:33:05 PM
(0)
Tutor
I think that transfers the full responsibility, no?

5 of 7 (6,085 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 3:42:45 PM
(0)
Guru

ASpec818 wrote:

That step does transfer full reponsibility over along with a credit check involved. As was stated previously, it is possible to separate the line into it's own individual plan under the same account, but bill would be mailed to same address. You can request a 'splitting of the bill' which would separate that one line into it's own account number, meaning you can get the bill mailed out to a different address since it has it's own account number.

Since splitting the bill/account involves keeping the same owner and social security number, there is no credit check involved. Either way, if you keep it under same account number or split the bill, in total, you end up paying more because of that individual plan. 

ASpec818 wrote:

That step does transfer full reponsibility over along with a credit check involved. As was stated previously, it is possible to separate the line into it's own individual plan under the same account, but bill would be mailed to same address. You can request a 'splitting of the bill' which would separate that one line into it's own account number, meaning you can get the bill mailed out to a different address since it has it's own account number.

Since splitting the bill/account involves keeping the same owner and social security number, there is no credit check involved. Either way, if you keep it under same account number or split the bill, in total, you end up paying more because of that individual plan. 

6 of 7 (6,081 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 5:13:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The brother can also use the online account manager so he won't have to have the bill mailed to him at a different address and can make payments from his college location(s).

The brother can also use the online account manager so he won't have to have the bill mailed to him at a different address and can make payments from his college location(s).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 7 (6,075 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments