Port out my current prepaid phone number

Mentor

Port out my current prepaid phone number

Dear all,

I want to port out my current prepaid phone number. From AT&T website, my current phone number is not portable since it is prepaid phone number and it doesn't have account number.

However, all of the carrier should apply or offer port service under FCC policy, is that true?

In addtion, I have about $100 balance remained in my current prepaid account. Could I get a new phone to keep this account alive? 

Many thanks,

Message 1 of 10 (2,253 Views)
Master

Re: Port out my current prepaid phone number

You should call AT&T CS and ask them if your phone number is eligible to port to another carrier. Chances are, they will allow you to. Dial 611 from your phone and say "customer service". Keep repeating the phrase after every voice prompt, and you will eventually be transferred.

As far as the $100 balance goes, the number is tied to the account. If you did port your number, you would lose the remaining balance on it. There would not be another way to tie another phone number to it because GoPhone account funds are non-transferable. Is there a way that you could wait to switch over and use the remaining $100 balance so that you don't lose all the money? Smiley Indifferent

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 10 (2,194 Views)
Mentor

Thanks, WB.
Message 3 of 10 (2,129 Views)
Master

You're welcome!

Message 4 of 10 (2,124 Views)
Teacher

If you have a current GoPhone your can switch phones and keep your number and balance, but you have to do this in store. They are not set up online to do this and you get much run arounds calling, so yes visit an AT&T store and they can fix you up.

Message 5 of 10 (2,115 Views)
Mentor

Thanks. They did but they couldn't keep my current number since it was not the same area code.

Message 6 of 10 (1,724 Views)
Mentor

Update!!!!
Thanks, Jolene Kyle. You are right. Everything could be done in AT&T only if you want to transfer from Gophone to postpaid account. However, AT&T has only data share plan now, that is, all of their plans are unlimited voice and text with data sharing. It would be to pricey for me if I start a contract with only single line, in addition, the ATT retail consultant said I had to call the customer service to join my wife's family plan.
Message 7 of 10 (1,689 Views)
Mentor

Update again. Joined my wife's family plan after spending 2 hours in AT&T store. They have to call the customer service to process my request. The remain balance will add to my wife's postpaid account as credit by 12/06/13. Finally, get it done.
Thanks all.
Message 8 of 10 (1,460 Views)
Master

Awesome! Glad to hear that everything went smoothly.

Message 9 of 10 (1,443 Views)
Mentor

Thanks so much.
Message 10 of 10 (1,326 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.