Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Mar 30, 2014
7:14:49 PM
View profile
Port number w/existing device and I'm not allowed to upgrade?
Edited by MissAllison on Mar 30, 2014 at 7:48:25 PM

Today I ported 2 mobile numbers from T-Mobile to ATT. One service line we purchased an upgrade on. On the other service line we used an off contract Moto-G with the intentions of picking up a Galaxy S5 at launch. 

We log onto the account to check the upgrade eligiblity of the off-contract line to go ahead and place the pre-order and it's showing an upgrade date of 9/2014. 

I tried using the chat to see if this can be reset because obviously the off-contract line is, guess what not on contract. After an unsuccessful chat attempt I decided to dial 611 and talk to someone in person. 

I'm getting the mess around now being told I can't upgrade for 6 months even though I'm not on contract. 

I see nothing on line stating such a restriction! What the heck is going on?!? Is there some disclosure somewhere that I missed? The salesman at the ATT store even stated I could upgrade right away...

Needless to say I am less than happy right now.

EDIT: Oh and to make matter worse nobody could tell me why I couldn't upgrade the line. I've been with AT&T on and off for years and I've never been through something as silly as this. 

Today I ported 2 mobile numbers from T-Mobile to ATT. One service line we purchased an upgrade on. On the other service line we used an off contract Moto-G with the intentions of picking up a Galaxy S5 at launch. 

We log onto the account to check the upgrade eligiblity of the off-contract line to go ahead and place the pre-order and it's showing an upgrade date of 9/2014. 

I tried using the chat to see if this can be reset because obviously the off-contract line is, guess what not on contract. After an unsuccessful chat attempt I decided to dial 611 and talk to someone in person. 

I'm getting the mess around now being told I can't upgrade for 6 months even though I'm not on contract. 

I see nothing on line stating such a restriction! What the heck is going on?!? Is there some disclosure somewhere that I missed? The salesman at the ATT store even stated I could upgrade right away...

Needless to say I am less than happy right now.

EDIT: Oh and to make matter worse nobody could tell me why I couldn't upgrade the line. I've been with AT&T on and off for years and I've never been through something as silly as this. 

Port number w/existing device and I'm not allowed to upgrade?

[ Edited ]
5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2014 8:04:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I think that I've seen comments from other customers saying that this happened to them in the past, but I don't know of an official policy on this.

I added a line to my family plan less than two years ago with a device that I already owned.  That line showed as upgrade eligible through the entire time that I had it on AT&T (less than a year).

I think that I've seen comments from other customers saying that this happened to them in the past, but I don't know of an official policy on this.

I added a line to my family plan less than two years ago with a device that I already owned.  That line showed as upgrade eligible through the entire time that I had it on AT&T (less than a year).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Port number w/existing device and I'm not allowed to upgrade?

2 of 6 (424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2014 8:31:08 AM
(0)
Professor
I've done that as well in the past and was never an issue. I can't seem to get an answer or a resolution.
I've done that as well in the past and was never an issue. I can't seem to get an answer or a resolution.

3 of 6 (421 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2014 2:50:33 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello @MissAllison 

It's hard to tell what might be causing this issue as it's account specific, but our team will be happy to help. If you haven't done so yet, please send us a private message by clicking here, please include your name, phone number, account number and the best time you can be reached.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello @MissAllison 

It's hard to tell what might be causing this issue as it's account specific, but our team will be happy to help. If you haven't done so yet, please send us a private message by clicking here, please include your name, phone number, account number and the best time you can be reached.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 6 (401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2014 4:43:15 PM
(0)
Professor

Hi Dmitriy, 

I was able to get this resolved today in a store, the store manager overrode the upgrade and was able to process it. 

I had reached out via PM here on this site and a CM got back to me and told me that numbers that are ported are with existing equipment have a 6 month waiting period before upgrading. I had never heard of that before nor was I informed. I've scoured this website and have seen nothing of that mentioned. 

Just wanted to include that in case anyone else runs into the issue. If you want to port to ATT you better upgrade your line as well or you're stuck for 6 months, so it seems. 

I'm happy this was quickly resolved. Smiley Happy

Hi Dmitriy, 

I was able to get this resolved today in a store, the store manager overrode the upgrade and was able to process it. 

I had reached out via PM here on this site and a CM got back to me and told me that numbers that are ported are with existing equipment have a 6 month waiting period before upgrading. I had never heard of that before nor was I informed. I've scoured this website and have seen nothing of that mentioned. 

Just wanted to include that in case anyone else runs into the issue. If you want to port to ATT you better upgrade your line as well or you're stuck for 6 months, so it seems. 

I'm happy this was quickly resolved. Smiley Happy

5 of 6 (389 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2014 12:06:58 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Great! Thank you for letting us know.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Great! Thank you for letting us know.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 6 (356 Views)