Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 22, 2013
12:15:34 PM
View profile
Port number from AT&T while under contract

Wanting to move from AT&T to another provider, to save money.  I have a few months left on my contract, so I know there will be a cancelation fee.  I plan to connect my existing phone to their network, versus purchasing another new phone.

This other provider says the steps are:

1.  Buy service from them.

2.  They ship me a SIM card with some other phone # on it.

3.  I stick this SIM card in and activate the service (this requires my phone be unlocked from any carrier).

4.  I call them back and initiate the number porting process.

5. ???

6. I'm on their service with my number ported.

I'm making a couple of assumptions (which may or may not be correct):

1.  I need the other provider to initiate the number port before I cancel my service, or I may lose the number and not be able to port.

2.  AT&T will not unlock my phone while I'm still under contract/first 24 months of my contract.

My concerns are.

1.  Based on assumption #2: I can't do step 3 because my phone is locked to AT&T.  AT&T is not going to unlock my phone unless I fulfil my obligation by either completing my contract or paying the early cancelation fee (right?).

2.  Based on assumption #1: If I call AT&T to cancel my contract, I can do step #3, but I'm concdrned steps #4 and beyond won't work, because I no longer own my phone number now that I canceled my AT&T service.

Can anyone correct any incorrect assumptions I've made, or otherwise tell me how I can leave AT&T, taking my phone # with me, while still under contract?

Thanks,

Wanting to move from AT&T to another provider, to save money.  I have a few months left on my contract, so I know there will be a cancelation fee.  I plan to connect my existing phone to their network, versus purchasing another new phone.

3.  I stick this SIM card in and activate the service (this requires my phone be unlocked from any carrier).

5. ???

1.  I need the other provider to initiate the number port before I cancel my service, or I may lose the number and not be able to port.

2.  AT&T will not unlock my phone while I'm still under contract/first 24 months of my contract.

My concerns are.

1.  Based on assumption #2: I can't do step 3 because my phone is locked to AT&T.  AT&T is not going to unlock my phone unless I fulfil my obligation by either completing my contract or paying the early cancelation fee (right?).

2.  Based on assumption #1: If I call AT&T to cancel my contract, I can do step #3, but I'm concdrned steps #4 and beyond won't work, because I no longer own my phone number now that I canceled my AT&T service.

Can anyone correct any incorrect assumptions I've made, or otherwise tell me how I can leave AT&T, taking my phone # with me, while still under contract?

Thanks,

Port number from AT&T while under contract

8 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 1:56:10 PM
(0)
Expert

madsteer wrote:

5. ???

My concerns are.

Thanks,

couple of things

1. your phone will not work on sprint or verizon. they are cdma providers, att is gsm, it will work on any gsm provider after it is unlocked

2. etf for smartphone is 325.00 - (10.00 * number of completed billing cycles) basic is 150.00 - (4.00 * number of completed billing cycles)

3. if your phone is a Iphone, you will not get it unlocked until after the etf and final bill has been paid, then you can submit the online reuqest to get it unlocked some other smartphones can be unlocked while under contract, newer exclusive models are not able to be unlocked for 6 to 12 months after release

4. you do not want to call and cancel the att contract, to keep your number you have to do a port, this will be done by the provider you are moving to.

madsteer wrote:

5. ???

My concerns are.

Thanks,

couple of things

1. your phone will not work on sprint or verizon. they are cdma providers, att is gsm, it will work on any gsm provider after it is unlocked

2. etf for smartphone is 325.00 - (10.00 * number of completed billing cycles) basic is 150.00 - (4.00 * number of completed billing cycles)

3. if your phone is a Iphone, you will not get it unlocked until after the etf and final bill has been paid, then you can submit the online reuqest to get it unlocked some other smartphones can be unlocked while under contract, newer exclusive models are not able to be unlocked for 6 to 12 months after release

4. you do not want to call and cancel the att contract, to keep your number you have to do a port, this will be done by the provider you are moving to.

Re: Port number from AT&T while under contract

2 of 9 (7,331 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 2:00:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

madsteer wrote:

5. ???

My concerns are.

Thanks,

Unfortunately, your assumptions are correct.

Your other option would be to buy an inexpensive phone from the new provider and port your number to it. After you pay the final bill (including ETF) to AT&T, then they will unlock the old phone and you can use it.

Or you can just wait a few month until you're out of contract to switch.

madsteer wrote:

5. ???

My concerns are.

Thanks,

Unfortunately, your assumptions are correct.

Your other option would be to buy an inexpensive phone from the new provider and port your number to it. After you pay the final bill (including ETF) to AT&T, then they will unlock the old phone and you can use it.

Or you can just wait a few month until you're out of contract to switch.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 9 (7,329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 9:58:01 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by madsteer on Aug 22, 2013 at 10:04:11 PM

Re: wingrider01:

Re: couple things.

1.  Well the phone has the CMA radio in it.  I've heard if you get the right person on the phone, you can get your IMEI number added to Verizon's database, after which you can in fact use it on a their network.  However, I'm not trying to use it on CDMA, so this is not a concern for me.

2. I'm aware of the costs, thanks.

4.  So, I'm screwed then?  I laid out, in my initial email, the steps that I would have to take with the new carrier (according to them), which did not include getting my number ported until after activation ... which can't happen if my phone is locked to AT&T.  Maybe I'll call them back, and a different person will have a different story.

Thanks,

Re: wingrider01:

Re: couple things.

1.  Well the phone has the CMA radio in it.  I've heard if you get the right person on the phone, you can get your IMEI number added to Verizon's database, after which you can in fact use it on a their network.  However, I'm not trying to use it on CDMA, so this is not a concern for me.

2. I'm aware of the costs, thanks.

4.  So, I'm screwed then?  I laid out, in my initial email, the steps that I would have to take with the new carrier (according to them), which did not include getting my number ported until after activation ... which can't happen if my phone is locked to AT&T.  Maybe I'll call them back, and a different person will have a different story.

Thanks,

[ Edited ]
4 of 9 (7,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 10:02:52 PM
(0)
Contributor
Re @MicCheck: I was considering something like that. Assuming Apple is offering a new phone in a month or so, I would just order the new phone via the carrier, and then after receiving it, I would port the number. Don't care about the old phone being locked at that point. A similar option would be to swap my phone out with Apple via the AppleCare+ and activate it straight to the new network.

I'm close enough to the end of my contract that I'll recoup the cancelation fees in short order, but far enough from it that I don't want to wait.

Thanks,
Re @MicCheck: I was considering something like that. Assuming Apple is offering a new phone in a month or so, I would just order the new phone via the carrier, and then after receiving it, I would port the number. Don't care about the old phone being locked at that point. A similar option would be to swap my phone out with Apple via the AppleCare+ and activate it straight to the new network.

I'm close enough to the end of my contract that I'll recoup the cancelation fees in short order, but far enough from it that I don't want to wait.

Thanks,

5 of 9 (7,290 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 12:55:28 AM
(0)
Explorer

Another option:  call new provider, have them begin port-in process and mail you the SIM for when the port & unlock completes.  As soon as port-out completes on AT&T, line will be auto-cancelled.  Then, go to the unlock site.  It can take a little time for that to complete, usually 24-48 hours, but I've seen it happen sooner!

Maybe?  While waiting for the unlock to complete, you'd be without a phone though...  Maybe you could pay off the contract with AT&T but not fully cancel?  Then unlock the phone.  Then begin port out?  Not sure if that is possible

Another option:  call new provider, have them begin port-in process and mail you the SIM for when the port & unlock completes.  As soon as port-out completes on AT&T, line will be auto-cancelled.  Then, go to the unlock site.  It can take a little time for that to complete, usually 24-48 hours, but I've seen it happen sooner!

Maybe?  While waiting for the unlock to complete, you'd be without a phone though...  Maybe you could pay off the contract with AT&T but not fully cancel?  Then unlock the phone.  Then begin port out?  Not sure if that is possible

6 of 9 (7,160 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 6:04:54 AM
(0)
Expert

megTED1 wrote:

ATT will not accept a unlock request for a Iphone until after the final bill and full etf has been paid and cleared to a zero balanace, unlocking a phone from a site that is not the carrier has been illegal in the US since 01.01.2013

megTED1 wrote:

ATT will not accept a unlock request for a Iphone until after the final bill and full etf has been paid and cleared to a zero balanace, unlocking a phone from a site that is not the carrier has been illegal in the US since 01.01.2013

7 of 9 (7,144 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 6:06:15 AM
(0)
Expert

madsteer wrote:

Thanks,

Unles you are planing on paying full retail price for the device no carrier will alllow you to order a phone without a signed agreement and a number assigned to the devie

madsteer wrote:

Thanks,

Unles you are planing on paying full retail price for the device no carrier will alllow you to order a phone without a signed agreement and a number assigned to the devie

8 of 9 (7,141 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 9:42:02 PM
(0)
Explorer

wingrider01 wrote:

megTED1 wrote:

When I say unlock site, I mean att.com/deviceunlock  OOPS!  

wingrider01 wrote:

megTED1 wrote:

When I say unlock site, I mean att.com/deviceunlock  OOPS!  

9 of 9 (7,088 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments