Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 12, 2014
12:47:09 AM
View profile
Pls put on your thinking cap for me-Dropping main line off Family plan

Hi, I need someone that is smarter than me to think it thru for me.

I have 2 iphone4 in my family plan paying $130~$150 ( coroperate rate) depends on texting/data volume.  No texting plan, with 700 min. The main line is heavy Data user, but managed to cap under 2Gb, and it's contract has long expired.  2nd line is minimal data user, uses 20% of  300Mb, and contract won't expired until May, 2014.  We uses less than 20% of voice minutes.

1. Would it possible to drop my main line, and let my 2nd line stand alone?

2. If my 2nd line can stand alone, what would be my best option (phone/data plan) to go with? There's no other device to share data with.  And what would my monthly ATT bill end up?  ( I understand recently AT&T has new plan rolling out). Frankly, he even suggested that he would be just fine using a dumbphone.

3. Would Att Go Phone prepaid plan be a good option for my mainline (iphone4)?  I'm not familiar with Go Phone, and not aware of any restriction Go phone has regarding to iphone.  Or any prepaid on the market.

My goal is to bring down the phone bills.  Any advice is welcome.  I hope I 'm not ending up paying more by splitting up family plan.  Thanks in advance!

Hi, I need someone that is smarter than me to think it thru for me.

I have 2 iphone4 in my family plan paying $130~$150 ( coroperate rate) depends on texting/data volume.  No texting plan, with 700 min. The main line is heavy Data user, but managed to cap under 2Gb, and it's contract has long expired.  2nd line is minimal data user, uses 20% of  300Mb, and contract won't expired until May, 2014.  We uses less than 20% of voice minutes.

1. Would it possible to drop my main line, and let my 2nd line stand alone?

2. If my 2nd line can stand alone, what would be my best option (phone/data plan) to go with? There's no other device to share data with.  And what would my monthly ATT bill end up?  ( I understand recently AT&T has new plan rolling out). Frankly, he even suggested that he would be just fine using a dumbphone.

3. Would Att Go Phone prepaid plan be a good option for my mainline (iphone4)?  I'm not familiar with Go Phone, and not aware of any restriction Go phone has regarding to iphone.  Or any prepaid on the market.

My goal is to bring down the phone bills.  Any advice is welcome.  I hope I 'm not ending up paying more by splitting up family plan.  Thanks in advance!

Pls put on your thinking cap for me-Dropping main line off Family plan

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 7:50:14 AM
(0)
Employee

Hi Citigroup, 

It is possible to drop your first line and leave it on its own, but your rates might not necessary stay the same. 

Assuming you stay on a legacy minute plan, the secondary line would go to a 450 minute plan with its 300 MB plan would be about $60 a month before discount and taxes and any text usages. 

GoPhone could be an option, however if you are a heavy data user, you would want to go onto the $60 Unlimted Talk, Text and 2GB Of data. 

A better soultion to look into is our Mobile Share Value plans. I don't know what your exact usage is, but you could get Unimited Talk, Text and 2GB of data for $120 a month ($55 for the group, $25 for the main line being out of contract and $40 for the line in contract). excuding tax and discount. The best part with this plan, come May when the other line goes out of contract you'll start saving an additional $15 a monh brining your cost down to $105 a month. 4GB of data would be $135. 

If you dropped the secondary line down to a basic device. That would bring the bill down a little bit, but not much until the line goes out of contract. A Basic line on the Mobile Share Value plan is $20 a month, while a smartphone out of contract, or on AT&T Next is $25 a month. 

You can review all the new Mobile Share Value Plans Here

Hope this helps! 

Hi Citigroup, 

It is possible to drop your first line and leave it on its own, but your rates might not necessary stay the same. 

Assuming you stay on a legacy minute plan, the secondary line would go to a 450 minute plan with its 300 MB plan would be about $60 a month before discount and taxes and any text usages. 

GoPhone could be an option, however if you are a heavy data user, you would want to go onto the $60 Unlimted Talk, Text and 2GB Of data. 

A better soultion to look into is our Mobile Share Value plans. I don't know what your exact usage is, but you could get Unimited Talk, Text and 2GB of data for $120 a month ($55 for the group, $25 for the main line being out of contract and $40 for the line in contract). excuding tax and discount. The best part with this plan, come May when the other line goes out of contract you'll start saving an additional $15 a monh brining your cost down to $105 a month. 4GB of data would be $135. 

If you dropped the secondary line down to a basic device. That would bring the bill down a little bit, but not much until the line goes out of contract. A Basic line on the Mobile Share Value plan is $20 a month, while a smartphone out of contract, or on AT&T Next is $25 a month. 

You can review all the new Mobile Share Value Plans Here

Hope this helps! 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Pls put on your thinking cap for me-Dropping main line off Family plan

2 of 3 (239 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 11:26:00 AM
(0)
Employee

Hey,

logo412 covered most of the details really well.

Officially, Family talk plans require 2 lines minimum and it would need to change.

Not so officialy, if the line was ported out. Something where the line was removed from your account, without AT&T interaction, then the secondary line would then become the primary line. ( will only save the cost of a secondary + any individual features basically)

Visit www.myattrpc to see the pricing, for both the old plans and some of the new ones that might save you some money.

-Alex

Hey,

logo412 covered most of the details really well.

Officially, Family talk plans require 2 lines minimum and it would need to change.

Not so officialy, if the line was ported out. Something where the line was removed from your account, without AT&T interaction, then the secondary line would then become the primary line. ( will only save the cost of a secondary + any individual features basically)

Visit www.myattrpc to see the pricing, for both the old plans and some of the new ones that might save you some money.

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Pls put on your thinking cap for me-Dropping main line off Family plan

3 of 3 (199 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments