Phone stopped sending pictures in text mail after OS update

Teacher

Phone stopped sending pictures in text mail after OS update

I am using a Moto G on my 25 dollar a month Gophone account.  It activated and works flawlessly.  Up until the OS update to KitKat.  While that update fixed a wallpaper 'resizing' issue, it seems that I no longer am able to send pictures attached to text messages.  Text messages still send, and I can attach pictures, but they never finish sending.  This feature used to work on my plan and on this phone.  My kids can still send pictures through text messages, and they are on the same plan, but with feature phones.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 9 (815 Views)
ACE - Guru

Re: Phone stopped sending pictures in text mail after OS update

[ Edited ]

No one ask you to do the upgrade to KitKat so fast !!
This new Android update may not be for every brand/make/market of phones!
You may need to reset the phone and go back to Icecream.

This happen to my Sony Xperia,Offical KitKat only for Asia market,not for North America.
Try and update it,downloaded,but it don't work!!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9 (793 Views)
Teacher

The phone came with Kitkat.  (I bought it unlocked through Amazon and got a sim card from ATT).  From talking to my daughter, several of her high school friends have started complaining about this same issue, but they are using Iphones.  I wonder if it's an ATT change, rather than a phone.  Maybe forcing texts with images to go through a data plan instead of MMS or something.

Message 3 of 9 (770 Views)

@adidaskid808, the official, OTA KitKat update for the Moto G in the US came out a few months ago and has slowly been updating in countries around the world.  

@bgthigfist, there are a few things you may want to try.

• First is restart your device if you haven't already done so. 
  • Reseat the SIM Card, i.e. Remove It and Reinsert it.
  • Turn off Data, and turn it back on.
  • Reconfigure the APN settings. 

Things to remember, MMS go over data, so you must have your data connection active (even though the $25 plan doesn't include data). Group text messages, (and in some phones larger text messages) are considered MMS and go over DATA. 

Message 4 of 9 (764 Views)
Scholar

Can you connect thru ur mobile data? Go to settings> wireless & networks or mobile networks > check data enabled > scroll down to access point names , check if theres att phone> if not tap on menu key and click new apn

These are the fields to fill in, all others leave blank
Name: att phone
Apn: phone:
Mmsc: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
Mms proxy: 172.26.37.1
Mms port: 80

Tap menu key and tap save
Then select att phone make sure theres a green selection mark on att phone > check internet make sure wifi setting is off, turn on mobile data. If its not working, switch phone off anf back on then try again
Message 5 of 9 (746 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Guru

@julywashere ,I do know the offical Android update come out for lots of phones .
 4.3 or 4.4 ,but it may not be the best for all.
 For some brand of phones,they do ask you to do a back up .
 Download the update and reset the phone.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 9 (742 Views)
Contributor

Try out resarting a device hope it will work for u

Message 7 of 9 (677 Views)
Teacher

Well, the weird thing is, this phone previously was able to send Pictures in text messages WITHOUT a data plan.  My kids have feature phones (without data plans) and they can send text messages with pictures to each other.  They used to be able to send them to me as well, but can no longer do so.

I finally upgraded my account to a data plan and am now able to send pictures in text messages again.  I guess AT&T closed a loophole or something.  Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 9 (477 Views)
Community Manager

Hello @bgthigfist 

A data plan, at least a pay per use option, is required for MMS to work. Did you request a data block or made any plan changes before it stopped working?

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 9 (375 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.