Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Reply
Posted Mar 10, 2014
12:19:02 PM
Phone insurance
Phone insurance is a scam. Over the years I have paid over a thousand dollars for insurance and I have never made a claim. The other day I busted my iPhone screen. The deductible is more than two times the cost of having the screen fixed on my phone. What have I been paying insurance for. It is nothing more than a money making scheme.
Phone insurance is a scam. Over the years I have paid over a thousand dollars for insurance and I have never made a claim. The other day I busted my iPhone screen. The deductible is more than two times the cost of having the screen fixed on my phone. What have I been paying insurance for. It is nothing more than a money making scheme.

Phone insurance

1,606 views
15 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
Reply
View all replies
(15)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2014 12:13:40 PM
0
(0)
Tutor
AT&T does not appreciate your business. They used to. Now they are a greedy corporation who could care less about loyal customers. Go phone participants recieve more breaks and respect than long term loyal customers. My contract will be up in August; thank God!!!
AT&T does not appreciate your business. They used to. Now they are a greedy corporation who could care less about loyal customers. Go phone participants recieve more breaks and respect than long term loyal customers. My contract will be up in August; thank God!!!

AT&T

1 of 16 (975 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2014 3:20:44 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

Joelsalter69 wrote:
Phone insurance is a scam. Over the years I have paid over a thousand dollars for insurance and I have never made a claim. The other day I busted my iPhone screen. The deductible is more than two times the cost of having the screen fixed on my phone. What have I been paying insurance for. It is nothing more than a money making scheme.

That is exactly what any insurance is. If it wasn't a "money making scheme", insurance companies wouldn't be in business. If you don't feel the risk of loss in case of damage or theft is worth the monthly premium, then drop the insurance. 


Joelsalter69 wrote:
Phone insurance is a scam. Over the years I have paid over a thousand dollars for insurance and I have never made a claim. The other day I busted my iPhone screen. The deductible is more than two times the cost of having the screen fixed on my phone. What have I been paying insurance for. It is nothing more than a money making scheme.

That is exactly what any insurance is. If it wasn't a "money making scheme", insurance companies wouldn't be in business. If you don't feel the risk of loss in case of damage or theft is worth the monthly premium, then drop the insurance. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Phone insurance

3 of 16 (921 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2014 12:04:27 PM
0
(0)

Next time don't purchase the insurance through AT&T or any carrier.

 

Use Worth Avenue Group. 

 

You can insure $400 for like $40 a year with a $50 deductible. 

 

I don't work for them but I do insure through them.

 

 

 

 

Next time don't purchase the insurance through AT&T or any carrier.

 

Use Worth Avenue Group. 

 

You can insure $400 for like $40 a year with a $50 deductible. 

 

I don't work for them but I do insure through them.

 

 

 

 

Re: Phone insurance

4 of 16 (895 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2014 4:02:55 PM
0
(0)
Expert

Todd F wrote:

Next time don't purchase the insurance through AT&T or any carrier.

 

Use Worth Avenue Group. 

 

You can insure $400 for like $40 a year with a $50 deductible. 

 

I don't work for them but I do insure through them.

 

 

 

 


Kind of curious - did you read the policy coverage and the specific state overrides, not to mention doing a review of ratings on the company beyond the usless BBB?


Todd F wrote:

Next time don't purchase the insurance through AT&T or any carrier.

 

Use Worth Avenue Group. 

 

You can insure $400 for like $40 a year with a $50 deductible. 

 

I don't work for them but I do insure through them.

 

 

 

 


Kind of curious - did you read the policy coverage and the specific state overrides, not to mention doing a review of ratings on the company beyond the usless BBB?

Re: Phone insurance

5 of 16 (867 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 5:42:26 AM
0
(0)
Edited by Anonymous on Mar 12, 2014 at 5:47:13 AM

I've gone through the policy very closely. Nothing in there that would stop me from buying again. Pretty much common sense stuff like no coverage if you leave your car unlocked and the device is stolen or you lose it. This is damage and theft insurance.

 

Reviews? Try checking out the reviews for Asurion or whoever the carriers use. 

 

The policy I received from Worth has nothing regarding state overrides. 

 

Do you know something that I dont?

 

I've gone through the policy very closely. Nothing in there that would stop me from buying again. Pretty much common sense stuff like no coverage if you leave your car unlocked and the device is stolen or you lose it. This is damage and theft insurance.

 

Reviews? Try checking out the reviews for Asurion or whoever the carriers use. 

 

The policy I received from Worth has nothing regarding state overrides. 

 

Do you know something that I dont?

 

Re: Phone insurance

[ Edited ]
6 of 16 (840 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 7:08:29 AM
0
(0)
Expert

Todd F wrote:

I've gone through the policy very closely. Nothing in there that would stop me from buying again. Pretty much common sense stuff like no coverage if you leave your car unlocked and the device is stolen or you lose it. This is damage and theft insurance.

 

Reviews? Try checking out the reviews for Asurion or whoever the carriers use. 

 

The policy I received from Worth has nothing regarding state overrides. 

 

Do you know something that I dont?

 


Funny they did not include them with the main policy - go to their website, look for the pdf versions of the policy, there are state overrides there. 

 

 


Todd F wrote:

I've gone through the policy very closely. Nothing in there that would stop me from buying again. Pretty much common sense stuff like no coverage if you leave your car unlocked and the device is stolen or you lose it. This is damage and theft insurance.

 

Reviews? Try checking out the reviews for Asurion or whoever the carriers use. 

 

The policy I received from Worth has nothing regarding state overrides. 

 

Do you know something that I dont?

 


Funny they did not include them with the main policy - go to their website, look for the pdf versions of the policy, there are state overrides there. 

 

 

Re: Phone insurance

7 of 16 (832 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 12:02:34 PM
0
(0)

Here's the link for Worth's policys and state amendments:

 

http://www.worthavegroup.com/resources/policy-booklets/

 

I live in Ohio and this is the wording for amendment:

 

 

AMENDATORY ENDORSEMENT OHIO


1. Under Fraud and Misrepresentation, the section is deleted and replaced by the following:

This policy will not provide coverage if you mislead us, attempt to defraud us, or lie to us about
any matter concerning the insurance, either before or after a loss. Any person who, with intent to
defraud or knowing that he/she is facilitating a fraud against an insurer, submits an application or files
a claim containing a false or deceptive statement is guilty of insurance fraud. Unintentional errors or
oversights will not affect your coverage.

Here's the link for Worth's policys and state amendments:

 

http://www.worthavegroup.com/resources/policy-booklets/

 

I live in Ohio and this is the wording for amendment:

 

 

AMENDATORY ENDORSEMENT OHIO


1. Under Fraud and Misrepresentation, the section is deleted and replaced by the following:

This policy will not provide coverage if you mislead us, attempt to defraud us, or lie to us about
any matter concerning the insurance, either before or after a loss. Any person who, with intent to
defraud or knowing that he/she is facilitating a fraud against an insurer, submits an application or files
a claim containing a false or deceptive statement is guilty of insurance fraud. Unintentional errors or
oversights will not affect your coverage.

Re: Phone insurance

8 of 16 (812 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 1:31:05 PM
0
(0)
Mentor
Device insurance is indeed a scam. The fact that a thread like this gets started twice monthly, and yet AT&Ts typical response is "you should've read the fine print" just shows their complete disregard for customer satisfaction. Pay the shareholders. Do the bare minimum amount of customer service. That's att's policy. Pathetic.
Device insurance is indeed a scam. The fact that a thread like this gets started twice monthly, and yet AT&Ts typical response is "you should've read the fine print" just shows their complete disregard for customer satisfaction. Pay the shareholders. Do the bare minimum amount of customer service. That's att's policy. Pathetic.

Re: Phone insurance

9 of 16 (743 Views)
Highlighted
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 6:53:42 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

kpryan1982 wrote:
Device insurance is indeed a scam. The fact that a thread like this gets started twice monthly, and yet AT&Ts typical response is "you should've read the fine print" just shows their complete disregard for customer satisfaction. Pay the shareholders. Do the bare minimum amount of customer service. That's att's policy. Pathetic.

Those threads get created because  people think phone insurance should be a 'magic fairy' that replaces the phone at the drop of the hat. No other insurance policy for anything acts that way; why should phone insurance?

 

Indeed, a lot of the problems folks have with phone insurance is because of their misconception of what the insurance actually is, and, yes, that could be solved if people actually read the policy and made an informed decision about whether the insurance is right for them. 


kpryan1982 wrote:
Device insurance is indeed a scam. The fact that a thread like this gets started twice monthly, and yet AT&Ts typical response is "you should've read the fine print" just shows their complete disregard for customer satisfaction. Pay the shareholders. Do the bare minimum amount of customer service. That's att's policy. Pathetic.

Those threads get created because  people think phone insurance should be a 'magic fairy' that replaces the phone at the drop of the hat. No other insurance policy for anything acts that way; why should phone insurance?

 

Indeed, a lot of the problems folks have with phone insurance is because of their misconception of what the insurance actually is, and, yes, that could be solved if people actually read the policy and made an informed decision about whether the insurance is right for them. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Phone insurance

10 of 16 (712 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 8:30:59 AM
0
(0)
Mentor
Wrong. Read the threads. They almost universally are created because the customer was mislead by the salesperson. Why is it so common for salespeople to mislead customers on the cost of insurance?

Simple answer: because it's the only way to sell it. Sure, a few customers might still sign up even if they were aware of the deductible. But the majority would turn it down. When you're paying more in premiums and deductibles than it actually cost to repair a phone, you're being ripped off, plain and simple. Also, most customers don't know there are alternative vendors for phone insurance.

Here's the point: ATTs phone insurance is simply a way to profit on consumer ignorance. That's a horrible way to do business. It's legal, and uninformed customers are partly to blame for their own ignorance. But the simple fact is that ATTs approach to selling phone insurance is dishonest and exploitative.

It's a shame.

Wrong. Read the threads. They almost universally are created because the customer was mislead by the salesperson. Why is it so common for salespeople to mislead customers on the cost of insurance?

Simple answer: because it's the only way to sell it. Sure, a few customers might still sign up even if they were aware of the deductible. But the majority would turn it down. When you're paying more in premiums and deductibles than it actually cost to repair a phone, you're being ripped off, plain and simple. Also, most customers don't know there are alternative vendors for phone insurance.

Here's the point: ATTs phone insurance is simply a way to profit on consumer ignorance. That's a horrible way to do business. It's legal, and uninformed customers are partly to blame for their own ignorance. But the simple fact is that ATTs approach to selling phone insurance is dishonest and exploitative.

It's a shame.

Re: Phone insurance

11 of 16 (704 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 10:23:09 AM
0
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Mar 15, 2014 at 10:44:30 AM

Insurance, IMO is a decent deal, but not world shattering.

 

Figure you might do 1/replacement in a 2 year period.

Let's say you have full insurancen $9.99.month

$9.99 x 24 = ~$240

Expensive phone deductible ~$200

So you end up paying ~ $450

Average cost for a new expensive phone w/o contract ~$600

 

About $100-300 savings, not bad, and easier to budget. It's not earth shattering, but it's not bad either.

You're right that those things should have disclosed. It's not intented to be a scam, at least according to the insurance company

 

-Alex

 

Insurance, IMO is a decent deal, but not world shattering.

 

Figure you might do 1/replacement in a 2 year period.

Let's say you have full insurancen $9.99.month

$9.99 x 24 = ~$240

Expensive phone deductible ~$200

So you end up paying ~ $450

Average cost for a new expensive phone w/o contract ~$600

 

About $100-300 savings, not bad, and easier to budget. It's not earth shattering, but it's not bad either.

You're right that those things should have disclosed. It's not intented to be a scam, at least according to the insurance company

 

-Alex

 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Phone insurance

[ Edited ]
12 of 16 (696 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 12:24:36 PM
0
(0)
Expert

kpryan1982 wrote:
Wrong. Read the threads. They almost universally are created because the customer was mislead by the salesperson. Why is it so common for salespeople to mislead customers on the cost of insurance?

Simple answer: because it's the only way to sell it. Sure, a few customers might still sign up even if they were aware of the deductible. But the majority would turn it down. When you're paying more in premiums and deductibles than it actually cost to repair a phone, you're being ripped off, plain and simple. Also, most customers don't know there are alternative vendors for phone insurance.

Here's the point: ATTs phone insurance is simply a way to profit on consumer ignorance. That's a horrible way to do business. It's legal, and uninformed customers are partly to blame for their own ignorance. But the simple fact is that ATTs approach to selling phone insurance is dishonest and exploitative.

It's a shame.


what you say is true about all insurance, not just phone insurance, all insurance is a scam. Consumer ingnorance is a false statement also, if people would read what they sign there would be no consumer ignorance.  They are not trying to hide it, there are brochures at the register in a corporate store, it is well documented on att's web site. Heck Best Buys black tie protection plan on phones are a joke also if you take the time to read everything


kpryan1982 wrote:
Wrong. Read the threads. They almost universally are created because the customer was mislead by the salesperson. Why is it so common for salespeople to mislead customers on the cost of insurance?

Simple answer: because it's the only way to sell it. Sure, a few customers might still sign up even if they were aware of the deductible. But the majority would turn it down. When you're paying more in premiums and deductibles than it actually cost to repair a phone, you're being ripped off, plain and simple. Also, most customers don't know there are alternative vendors for phone insurance.

Here's the point: ATTs phone insurance is simply a way to profit on consumer ignorance. That's a horrible way to do business. It's legal, and uninformed customers are partly to blame for their own ignorance. But the simple fact is that ATTs approach to selling phone insurance is dishonest and exploitative.

It's a shame.


what you say is true about all insurance, not just phone insurance, all insurance is a scam. Consumer ingnorance is a false statement also, if people would read what they sign there would be no consumer ignorance.  They are not trying to hide it, there are brochures at the register in a corporate store, it is well documented on att's web site. Heck Best Buys black tie protection plan on phones are a joke also if you take the time to read everything

Re: Phone insurance

13 of 16 (676 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2014 7:09:56 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

kpryan1982 wrote:
Wrong. Read the threads. They almost universally are created because the customer was mislead by the salesperson. Why is it so common for salespeople to mislead customers on the cost of insurance?

Simple answer: because it's the only way to sell it. Sure, a few customers might still sign up even if they were aware of the deductible. But the majority would turn it down. When you're paying more in premiums and deductibles than it actually cost to repair a phone, you're being ripped off, plain and simple. Also, most customers don't know there are alternative vendors for phone insurance.

Here's the point: ATTs phone insurance is simply a way to profit on consumer ignorance. That's a horrible way to do business. It's legal, and uninformed customers are partly to blame for their own ignorance. But the simple fact is that ATTs approach to selling phone insurance is dishonest and exploitative.

It's a shame.


I think you're taking a few threads on a forums designed for customers with problems and extrapolating meaning that isn't there. 

 

Have salespeople lied or otherwise misled customers about insurance? I'm  sure. Is that the norm? No. Is that the sales model AT&T has set up? No. I was in an AT&T store on Friday and overheard the rep clearly explaining the costs and deductible associated with insurance. 


kpryan1982 wrote:
Wrong. Read the threads. They almost universally are created because the customer was mislead by the salesperson. Why is it so common for salespeople to mislead customers on the cost of insurance?

Simple answer: because it's the only way to sell it. Sure, a few customers might still sign up even if they were aware of the deductible. But the majority would turn it down. When you're paying more in premiums and deductibles than it actually cost to repair a phone, you're being ripped off, plain and simple. Also, most customers don't know there are alternative vendors for phone insurance.

Here's the point: ATTs phone insurance is simply a way to profit on consumer ignorance. That's a horrible way to do business. It's legal, and uninformed customers are partly to blame for their own ignorance. But the simple fact is that ATTs approach to selling phone insurance is dishonest and exploitative.

It's a shame.


I think you're taking a few threads on a forums designed for customers with problems and extrapolating meaning that isn't there. 

 

Have salespeople lied or otherwise misled customers about insurance? I'm  sure. Is that the norm? No. Is that the sales model AT&T has set up? No. I was in an AT&T store on Friday and overheard the rep clearly explaining the costs and deductible associated with insurance. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Phone insurance

14 of 16 (640 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2014 4:24:44 PM
0
(0)
Employee

MicCheck wrote:

kpryan1982 wrote:
Wrong. Read the threads. They almost universally are created because the customer was mislead by the salesperson. Why is it so common for salespeople to mislead customers on the cost of insurance?

Simple answer: because it's the only way to sell it. Sure, a few customers might still sign up even if they were aware of the deductible. But the majority would turn it down. When you're paying more in premiums and deductibles than it actually cost to repair a phone, you're being ripped off, plain and simple. Also, most customers don't know there are alternative vendors for phone insurance.

Here's the point: ATTs phone insurance is simply a way to profit on consumer ignorance. That's a horrible way to do business. It's legal, and uninformed customers are partly to blame for their own ignorance. But the simple fact is that ATTs approach to selling phone insurance is dishonest and exploitative.

It's a shame.


I think you're taking a few threads on a forums designed for customers with problems and extrapolating meaning that isn't there. 

 

Have salespeople lied or otherwise misled customers about insurance? I'm  sure. Is that the norm? No. Is that the sales model AT&T has set up? No. I was in an AT&T store on Friday and overheard the rep clearly explaining the costs and deductible associated with insurance. 


I for one clearly explain it to every customer. Approximately 60% of customers take the insurance...


MicCheck wrote:

kpryan1982 wrote:
Wrong. Read the threads. They almost universally are created because the customer was mislead by the salesperson. Why is it so common for salespeople to mislead customers on the cost of insurance?

Simple answer: because it's the only way to sell it. Sure, a few customers might still sign up even if they were aware of the deductible. But the majority would turn it down. When you're paying more in premiums and deductibles than it actually cost to repair a phone, you're being ripped off, plain and simple. Also, most customers don't know there are alternative vendors for phone insurance.

Here's the point: ATTs phone insurance is simply a way to profit on consumer ignorance. That's a horrible way to do business. It's legal, and uninformed customers are partly to blame for their own ignorance. But the simple fact is that ATTs approach to selling phone insurance is dishonest and exploitative.

It's a shame.


I think you're taking a few threads on a forums designed for customers with problems and extrapolating meaning that isn't there. 

 

Have salespeople lied or otherwise misled customers about insurance? I'm  sure. Is that the norm? No. Is that the sales model AT&T has set up? No. I was in an AT&T store on Friday and overheard the rep clearly explaining the costs and deductible associated with insurance. 


I for one clearly explain it to every customer. Approximately 60% of customers take the insurance...

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Phone insurance

15 of 16 (593 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 8:02:48 AM
0
(0)
Tutor
Att is a joke. Their customer service is pitiful. They have lost a ten year customer when my contract expires in august
Att is a joke. Their customer service is pitiful. They have lost a ten year customer when my contract expires in august

Re: Phone insurance

16 of 16 (554 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Share this post
Share this post