Pay as you go phone

Contributor

Pay as you go phone

Why am I being charged 10 cents per call on my pay as you go phone and not 10 cents PER MINUTE

Message 1 of 5 (1,201 Views)
Master

Re: Pay as you go phone

The 10 cent charge is billed in increments of the next rounded minute. A 45 second call would cost 10 cents, even if it didn't reach a full minute. A 1 minute, 1 second call would cost 20 cents despite reaching the remaining 59 seconds. That's just the way calls are billed. It's the same on every other carrier.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 5 (1,113 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

It gets worse.

I agree that calls are SUPPOSED TO BE rounded up to the next minute.  However, this isn't what AT&T is doing.  If I make a 48 second phone call, I get charged 20 cents, not 10.  This happens consistently.  If I make a 10 second phone call, AT&T will charge 10 cents, which makes sense because they would round up to full minutes.  However, I've been finding that calls that are longer than 48 seconds (maybe even lower than 48), but less than a minute, get charged 20 cents.  Or a call that is 3 minutes and 48 seconds gets charged 50 cents.  This is fraud since the plan clearly states 10 cents per minute.

These over-rounding errors may not seem like much, but they add up quickly, and this practice is, indeed, fraud.

I wanted to E-mail AT&T about this, but there seems to be no way to do so.  I feel that it's best to leave a paper trail of correspondence rather than simply calling a representative.  If I call a representative, they'll probably just say that there's nothing that they can do.  But to start a documented E-mail dialogue would allow me to build a documented case, which could lead to change.

This is something that AT&T really ought to fix. 

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Message 3 of 5 (685 Views)
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello evansste,

I apologise for the confusion. Calls are billed from the moment they're initiated, when you press "send" key on your phone and it starts ringing and until your recipient answers and the call ends. Pay as you go charges are for the total network use time, so the system counts "ringing" time plus the actual conversation time (Phones only count conversation time).

To explain your example, if you initiated the call and it took couple of seconds to establish a connection with the other end, and 10-15 seconds for the other person to answer, then your conversation lasted 48 seconds, it'll be counted as 2 + 15 + 48 seconds = 1 minute 5 seconds, so the charge is for 2 minutes.

I hope this clarifies it for you.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 5 (657 Views)
Master

ATTDmitriyCM wrote:

Hello evansste,

I apologise for the confusion. Calls are billed from the moment they're initiated, when you press "send" key on your phone and it starts ringing and until your recipient answers and the call ends. Pay as you go charges are for the total network use time, so the system counts "ringing" time plus the actual conversation time (Phones only count conversation time).

To explain your example, if you initiated the call and it took couple of seconds to establish a connection with the other end, and 10-15 seconds for the other person to answer, then your conversation lasted 48 seconds, it'll be counted as 2 + 15 + 48 seconds = 1 minute 5 seconds, so the charge is for 2 minutes.

I hope this clarifies it for you.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

+1. I was going to say the same thing. 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 5 of 5 (599 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.