Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 5, 2013
12:06:08 PM
View profile
Out of country with International calling enabled

I bought a phone to use when I am in Florida (I live in Canada) and I am on the 10 cent/minute plan with the International calling.  It works great calling back home from Florida.  I know that if I use the phone in Canada, I will incur a 10-cent/minute charge + a roaming fee, but I was wondering about another possible option.

As my home base # is a 407 area code, what would happen if I used the phone in Canada and dialled every number as a long distance number?  Would the phone then just take minutes off of my international long distance, or would I also incur some sort of roaming charge as well?

Any help would be appreciated.

I bought a phone to use when I am in Florida (I live in Canada) and I am on the 10 cent/minute plan with the International calling.  It works great calling back home from Florida.  I know that if I use the phone in Canada, I will incur a 10-cent/minute charge + a roaming fee, but I was wondering about another possible option.

As my home base # is a 407 area code, what would happen if I used the phone in Canada and dialled every number as a long distance number?  Would the phone then just take minutes off of my international long distance, or would I also incur some sort of roaming charge as well?

Any help would be appreciated.

Out of country with International calling enabled

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 7:44:59 PM
(0)
Scholar

Is this a AT&T GoPhone? (GoPhone SIM or GoPhone SIM+Phone, aka AT&T prepaid?). If so it will roam in Canada/Mexico in addition to the USA. The rates are here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/gophone-international-roaming.jsp

Canada roaming rate is 0.39/minute deducted from your prepaid account for ALL calls made/received. Your domestic GoPhone plan/rates DO NOT apply (they only apply while in the USA.) Ditto for Mexico. This is due to AT&T's relationship with Bell/Telus and Rogers.

Is this a AT&T GoPhone? (GoPhone SIM or GoPhone SIM+Phone, aka AT&T prepaid?). If so it will roam in Canada/Mexico in addition to the USA. The rates are here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/gophone-international-roaming.jsp

Canada roaming rate is 0.39/minute deducted from your prepaid account for ALL calls made/received. Your domestic GoPhone plan/rates DO NOT apply (they only apply while in the USA.) Ditto for Mexico. This is due to AT&T's relationship with Bell/Telus and Rogers.

Re: Out of country with International calling enabled

2 of 6 (375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 5:58:26 AM
(0)
Contributor

OK, so if I understand correctly, I would be charged .39 / minute for a domestic call (Canada), rather than .10 / minute + roaming fee if I wanted to make a call in Canada?  So basically the international calling option on the phone does not apply from within Canada, only from the US?  Just wanting to be clear before I try any of this out.

OK, so if I understand correctly, I would be charged .39 / minute for a domestic call (Canada), rather than .10 / minute + roaming fee if I wanted to make a call in Canada?  So basically the international calling option on the phone does not apply from within Canada, only from the US?  Just wanting to be clear before I try any of this out.

3 of 6 (354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 10:23:44 AM
(0)
Scholar

Yes you are correct.

Yes you are correct.

4 of 6 (341 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 11:34:41 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks!

Thanks!

5 of 6 (333 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 5:33:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

All the AT&T rate plan in USA not apply when you roaming in Canada.
It is US$ 0.39/ min for domestic call in Canada.
Calling to US will be US$0.39/ min plus long distance charge.
I found out it is close to US$1 /min call to US!!

All the AT&T rate plan in USA not apply when you roaming in Canada.
It is US$ 0.39/ min for domestic call in Canada.
Calling to US will be US$0.39/ min plus long distance charge.
I found out it is close to US$1 /min call to US!!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 6 (239 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments