Out of country with International calling enabled

Contributor

Out of country with International calling enabled

I bought a phone to use when I am in Florida (I live in Canada) and I am on the 10 cent/minute plan with the International calling.  It works great calling back home from Florida.  I know that if I use the phone in Canada, I will incur a 10-cent/minute charge + a roaming fee, but I was wondering about another possible option.

As my home base # is a 407 area code, what would happen if I used the phone in Canada and dialled every number as a long distance number?  Would the phone then just take minutes off of my international long distance, or would I also incur some sort of roaming charge as well?

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
Scholar

Re: Out of country with International calling enabled

Is this a AT&T GoPhone? (GoPhone SIM or GoPhone SIM+Phone, aka AT&T prepaid?). If so it will roam in Canada/Mexico in addition to the USA. The rates are here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/gophone-international-roaming.jsp

Canada roaming rate is 0.39/minute deducted from your prepaid account for ALL calls made/received. Your domestic GoPhone plan/rates DO NOT apply (they only apply while in the USA.) Ditto for Mexico. This is due to AT&T's relationship with Bell/Telus and Rogers.

Message 2 of 6
Contributor

OK, so if I understand correctly, I would be charged .39 / minute for a domestic call (Canada), rather than .10 / minute + roaming fee if I wanted to make a call in Canada?  So basically the international calling option on the phone does not apply from within Canada, only from the US?  Just wanting to be clear before I try any of this out.

Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Scholar

Yes you are correct.

Message 4 of 6
Contributor

Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
ACE - Guru

All the AT&T rate plan in USA not apply when you roaming in Canada.
It is US$ 0.39/ min for domestic call in Canada.
Calling to US will be US$0.39/ min plus long distance charge.
I found out it is close to US$1 /min call to US!!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support