Original Unlimited Plan and the New Mobile Share Plan

Contributor

Original Unlimited Plan and the New Mobile Share Plan

I have the original iPhone 'unlimited' data plan which I've had since 2007.

If I bought an iPad with 4G compatiblity, can I add this device to my existing plan for the advertised $10 additional fee per the AT&T Mobile Share plan?   If this is allowed, are there any additional catches or fees?  Will my original contract terms still be intact?  Any details would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 5 (757 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Original Unlimited Plan and the New Mobile Share Plan

No, you can't add that to your current data plan. The Mobile share plan allows a max amount of data and when you go over, you get charged extra. The unlimited plan is no longer available and you cannot add any other devices to that plan.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5 (753 Views)
ACE - Master

As kdfederer noted, your current unlimited plan is not the mobile share plan, hence you can not add devices to it.You could buy an ipad only data plan and add it to your account as a new line but that again is not mobile share and not $10/month.

If you want to add an ipad to a mobile share plan, you would have to convert your existing plan to a mobile share plan. You can change plans anytime you want without affecting your contract so changing to the mobile share plan would not effect your contract. However, once you give up your unlimited data plan, you won't be able to get it back since it is grandfathered and no longer offered.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 5 (702 Views)
Contributor

Now that I think of it, my wife is also bundled into my plan and we pay $30/mo for "DataPro 3GB for Smartphone" on her Android device.  I assume I could tack on the $10/mo share plan for using her device plan?

Message 4 of 5 (681 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

gorilla1969 wrote:

Now that I think of it, my wife is also bundled into my plan and we pay $30/mo for "DataPro 3GB for Smartphone" on her Android device.  I assume I could tack on the $10/mo share plan for using her device plan?

No, that is a different data plan all together. Mobile share is not just a data plan. Mobile share replaces your voice and text plan also. Your wife has a single user tiered plan for 3GB on her phone alone.

A mobile share plan is where you pick a set amount of data that will be shared between up to 10 devices. you pay for the data amount, unlimited voice minutes, unlimited texting and the ability to tether / hot spot. When you sign up for this, it forklifts out any previous plan that you have. For example

Current plan - 750 mins family with 2 smartphones and unlimited texting

50.00 - 750 minutes and 1st phone

30.00 - unlimited family texting

30.00 - grandfathered unlimited data on smartphone 1

09.99 - charge for second smartphone

30.00 - tiered data plan for second smartphone

Mobile shared going to set the example at a 6 GB base plan

90.00 - 6GB data for all devices, unlimited voice, unlimited text, tethering, hotspot

35.00 - first smartphone

35.00 - second smrtphone

10.00 - tablet

In your current contrat you are tied to cellular phones only, each smartphone is required to have a data plan and you are limited to 5 cell phones. In the mobile share example that is 6GB of data that will be shared between the 2 smartphones and the tablet, plus you can add up to 7 more devices.

Apologized I tend to get verbose when explaining and go with the Alice's resteraunt method - lots of words with cirles and arrows explaiing everything to the littlest detail. Hope it helps and does not offend.

Message 5 of 5 (657 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.