Old $20 Iphone unlimited data plan, forced upgrade.

Contributor

Old $20 Iphone unlimited data plan, forced upgrade.

So I've had the 1st gen Iphone for years, and almost a year ago I was given a Iphone 4 as a gift. Now all of a sudden as of earlier this month, I received both emails and text saying that I have a smartphone and is required to have a data plan, and that they've just upgrade me to one, which obviously I have, and had been using a data plan for a long time now. I called up customer service and was informed that because I am using a "new" iphone, I must upgrade my plan. They can however grandfather my unlimited plan over instead of upgrading to their 3GB plan which is $30 more, BUT the "new" grandfather plan is still going to cost me $15 more a month. Apparently they've been trying to contact me since Sept/Oct of last year which I don't think I've gotten the phone yet, but he seemed unsure as of when they've actually began to contact me, saying that because its a new phone with different data (2g.3g) that I simply couldn't receive the message, which I think is a lie since its just text, and they could have sent me a email as they did now, no reason why after so many months they miraculously can finally contact me and also upgrade my plan w/o my consent . So I'm asking here, if I can keep my plan as is, since obviously my plan "covers" or else it either wouldn't work, or they've billed me immediately.
Message 1 of 4 (2,963 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Re: Old $20 Iphone unlimited data plan, forced upgrade.

The plan you have/had at $20 was only offered for the original iPhone and could not be carried forward to future iPhones. Starting with the 3G, your plan was replaced with a $30 unlimited data plan but did not include any text messages like the original plan did. Under the terms of service you agree to by using the network, they can change your plan to the proper plan based on what iPhone you are using.  As to why they have not been able to reach you????????

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 4 (2,950 Views)
ACE - Master

So bottom line, no you can not keep the $20 plan as that was only for the original iphone. Also, the reason the new plan is costing $15 more is you are actually getting 2 new plans. $30 for unlimited data and $5 for 200 texts, both of which have been discontinued. The alternative to those two grandfathered plans is $30 for 3GB of data and $20 for unlimited texts. You should consider yourself fortunate they are allowing you to change to the grandfathered plans.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 4 (2,837 Views)
Community Manager

Hello, everyone!

For more information regarding the smartphone data plan requirements and grandfathering policies, click on the link below.

Smartphone Data and Grandfathering

Let me know if this helps!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 4 (2,826 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.