Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 19, 2014
11:24:35 AM
View profile
Note 3 / Microcell: Drops call when data is received such as a text or email
Edited by erturnerjr on Mar 19, 2014 at 11:27:31 AM

I have been dealing with this for several months now and it seems to somewhat be getting better and not as frequent, but it is still an issue.  When I am at home, connected to my microcell and on a call, if I get a text message, typically one with a picture attached to it, my Note 3 will drop the call.  It also happens on emails time to time as well.  After this happens, when I look at my phone, the 4G symbol is breifly displayed and then disappears.  My phone is connected to the Microcell and my WiFi.

Anyone else experience this issue?

I have been dealing with this for several months now and it seems to somewhat be getting better and not as frequent, but it is still an issue.  When I am at home, connected to my microcell and on a call, if I get a text message, typically one with a picture attached to it, my Note 3 will drop the call.  It also happens on emails time to time as well.  After this happens, when I look at my phone, the 4G symbol is breifly displayed and then disappears.  My phone is connected to the Microcell and my WiFi.

Anyone else experience this issue?

Note 3 / Microcell: Drops call when data is received such as a text or email

[ Edited ]
8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 11:36:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

By Note 3 I'm assuming this is the Galaxy Note 3? There were quite a few issues a few months back with the Galaxy Note 3's and it had something to do with the Note 3 and the Android OS which required an update by Samsung to fix. Have you updated your phone recently?

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

By Note 3 I'm assuming this is the Galaxy Note 3? There were quite a few issues a few months back with the Galaxy Note 3's and it had something to do with the Note 3 and the Android OS which required an update by Samsung to fix. Have you updated your phone recently?

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Note 3 / Microcell: Drops call when data is received such as a text or email

2 of 9 (1,114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 11:52:07 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, the Galaxy Note 3.  Is there any other Note 3 that connects to the microcell?  Anywho...yes, I was quite involved with the issues several months ago, but that was related to the Galaxy Note 3 NOT CONNECTING to the microcell.  AT&T pushed out a microcell firmware update that resolved this issue, as well as, I got the "new" sim card.

I had this issue occuring during the same time and the connecting issue, but could only fight one fire at a time.  I have not updated my phone since the last small update that AT&T released that some believe were some minor fixes in perpartion for KitKat.

I wanted to post here before I got AT&T on the horn again for this issue and see if anyone else has experienced it.

Yes, the Galaxy Note 3.  Is there any other Note 3 that connects to the microcell?  Anywho...yes, I was quite involved with the issues several months ago, but that was related to the Galaxy Note 3 NOT CONNECTING to the microcell.  AT&T pushed out a microcell firmware update that resolved this issue, as well as, I got the "new" sim card.

I had this issue occuring during the same time and the connecting issue, but could only fight one fire at a time.  I have not updated my phone since the last small update that AT&T released that some believe were some minor fixes in perpartion for KitKat.

I wanted to post here before I got AT&T on the horn again for this issue and see if anyone else has experienced it.

Re: Note 3 / Microcell: Drops call when data is received such as a text or email

3 of 9 (1,107 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 11:57:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Somebody else just posted a problem with the Note 3 so it would seem that Galaxy issues are appearing for some. There were quite a few people whose phones starting working just fine after the Samsung/AT&T fix. No one has posted back with issues for a few months until now so we can only assume that there aren't any. I've been hearing about data issues (mostly incorrect usage) with the Galaxy's so maybe there's another Android problem cropping up.

Somebody else just posted a problem with the Note 3 so it would seem that Galaxy issues are appearing for some. There were quite a few people whose phones starting working just fine after the Samsung/AT&T fix. No one has posted back with issues for a few months until now so we can only assume that there aren't any. I've been hearing about data issues (mostly incorrect usage) with the Galaxy's so maybe there's another Android problem cropping up.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 9 (1,103 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 7:19:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

@ OP - What are your subscribed download and upload speeds from your ISP?

@ OP - What are your subscribed download and upload speeds from your ISP?

5 of 9 (1,076 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 9:18:31 AM
(0)
Teacher
50 Down / 5 Up..... I'm sure my Internet speed is not an issue.
50 Down / 5 Up..... I'm sure my Internet speed is not an issue.

6 of 9 (1,018 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 9:35:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Mar 22, 2014 at 9:36:02 AM

Dropped calls can be caused by the ISP and their latency (and other) issues. Speed doesn't guarantee that VoIP will work reliably (see the VoIP section of my Guide, link in my sig).

Data should be handled by your WiFi connection and only voice on the MicroCell's 3G connection. At least that's how mine works. If could be that your phone has difficulty handling both at the same time so it preferentially drops the call over the data stream. If all of the MicroCell lights are solid green, and your phone works fine when you are just on a call, then my initial reaction would be the phone having issues when incoming data happens at the same time as a call.

The update that was pushed out by AT&T sometime ago was done in conjunction with Samsung. It wasn't an AT&T only update.

Dropped calls can be caused by the ISP and their latency (and other) issues. Speed doesn't guarantee that VoIP will work reliably (see the VoIP section of my Guide, link in my sig).

Data should be handled by your WiFi connection and only voice on the MicroCell's 3G connection. At least that's how mine works. If could be that your phone has difficulty handling both at the same time so it preferentially drops the call over the data stream. If all of the MicroCell lights are solid green, and your phone works fine when you are just on a call, then my initial reaction would be the phone having issues when incoming data happens at the same time as a call.

The update that was pushed out by AT&T sometime ago was done in conjunction with Samsung. It wasn't an AT&T only update.

[ Edited ]
7 of 9 (1,015 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 9:49:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I was just curious if the OP's ISP plan/connection quality was marginal in bandwidth and the simultaneous transmittal of voice and text/email caused the drop due to lack of bandwidth.

Highly unlikely but at the rate things are going here, anything is a possibility.....

I was just curious if the OP's ISP plan/connection quality was marginal in bandwidth and the simultaneous transmittal of voice and text/email caused the drop due to lack of bandwidth.

Highly unlikely but at the rate things are going here, anything is a possibility.....

8 of 9 (1,009 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 9:59:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

As you say, anything is possible. Back to the conspiracy theories, I think as time goes by, ISPs are going to be looking hard at what their networks are being "used" for. And if there are competing services, like VoIP, we will proably start seeing a degradation of service unless one is using the ISPs VoIP service. VZ has already started doing this in select markets for some services.

As you say, anything is possible. Back to the conspiracy theories, I think as time goes by, ISPs are going to be looking hard at what their networks are being "used" for. And if there are competing services, like VoIP, we will proably start seeing a degradation of service unless one is using the ISPs VoIP service. VZ has already started doing this in select markets for some services.

9 of 9 (1,006 Views)