Ask a question

Posted Aug 27, 2013
    10:03:51 AM
    View profile
    Not eligible for NEXT

2nd line needs a new phone and is not eligible for an upgrade. We tried to do the AT&T Next program and was told this line was not eligible for that either. I don't understand, I thought the purpose of this program was to get a new phone when you are not eligible for an upgrade. Please help me understand

Not eligible for NEXT

17 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (17)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 27, 2013 10:46:55 AM
    (0)
    Expert

AMW323 wrote:

2nd line needs a new phone and is not eligible for an upgrade. We tried to do the AT&T Next program and was told this line was not eligible for that either. I don't understand, I thought the purpose of this program was to get a new phone when you are not eligible for an upgrade. Please help me understand

an existing line can only be put on the next plan when it is out of contract. This is stated on the description of the plan. Your current phone is eligible for upgrade but not currently out of contract. Still between 4 and 6 months to go depending on if you still have the 18th month upgrade advantage or the 20 month version.

Re: Not eligible for NEXT

2 of 18 (7,899 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 29, 2013 4:43:29 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor
    Edited by 21stNow on Aug 29, 2013 at 4:43:54 PM

Your second line would have to be completely out of contract in order for you to start the Next plan for a new device.  This program wasn't set-up for people who want a new phone but are not eligible for an upgrade; that was Verizon Wireless' plan that was the predecessor to VZW Edge.  The AT&T Next program is for people who want to get new phones more often, but don't want to pay the full price all at once.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
    3 of 18 (7,801 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 31, 2013 7:29:22 AM
    (0)
    Employee
    Incorrect . . As long as your line is eligible for an Upgrade, you will be also eligible for a Next Plan on an existing line as well .

Something else to look forward too: AT&T is expanding the AT&T Next offer to specific existing customers by accelerating their AT&T Next upgrade eligibility to sometime between October 1, and December 31, 2013. This accelerated eligibility includes customers whose contracts expire between March 1, and May 31, 2014.

Only Next upgrade eligibility is accelerated. Standard/Regular upgrade eligibility remains after 24 months since last upgrade or initial activation

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 18 (7,711 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 31, 2013 10:02:06 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor
    Hmm just to clarify, to qualify for AT&T Next, the line must NOT be under a 2 year agreement, as in all 24 months have been completed.

If you qualify for an early upgrade, you would not qualify for AT&T Next until you are out of the contract.
    ~Sunshine :)
    - Sunshine :)
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 18 (7,700 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 31, 2013 10:38:17 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

dtsxonxchoppas wrote:
    Incorrect . . As long as your line is eligible for an Upgrade, you will be also eligible for a Next Plan on an existing line as well .

Something else to look forward too: AT&T is expanding the AT&T Next offer to specific existing customers by accelerating their AT&T Next upgrade eligibility to sometime between October 1, and December 31, 2013. This accelerated eligibility includes customers whose contracts expire between March 1, and May 31, 2014.

Only Next upgrade eligibility is accelerated. Standard/Regular upgrade eligibility remains after 24 months since last upgrade or initial activation

You are correct that the line has to be eligible for a standard upgrade to qualify for the Next program.  I apologize for posting the wrong information.

6 of 18 (7,692 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 31, 2013 11:42:57 AM
    (0)
    Employee
    No that's fine! I'm just trying to get on your status/level - ACE Professor Smiley Happy
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 18 (7,682 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 18, 2013 11:27:20 AM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Sprint is allowing existing customers to opt into their new program something At&t needs to consider especially with all this new competition going on.

8 of 18 (7,154 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 18, 2013 11:53:08 AM
    (0)
    Expert

madjei wrote:
    Sprint is allowing existing customers to opt into their new program something At&t needs to consider especially with all this new competition going on.

so is att, they ar ejust not letting people that are still under contract to do it until their current agreement that the are in that allowed them to get a 700+ dollar phone for a greatly reduced price.

9 of 18 (7,144 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 18, 2013 7:28:01 PM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Yes but sprint is allowing customers who are under contract the ability to opt in the program

10 of 18 (7,106 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 18, 2013 11:33:35 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor
    While that may be true, I'm certain that the customer will have to meet a certain criteria.. For example, 15 months of the contract completed etc. To let everyone just jump on the deal will really hurt their profits.

11 of 18 (7,074 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 19, 2013 3:22:30 AM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Existing customers who have been on contract for at least a year are also eligible, although the offer may be limited. Existing customers still on contract must trade in their existing phones, unless they are already up for a discounted upgrade. As with other plans, the existing phone has to be in good working order. Sprint prepaid customers aren't eligible for the program

12 of 18 (7,061 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 19, 2013 12:05:22 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor
    Ah then there's the catch, the customer must give up their phone before they can go on the program and Sprint makes some sort of profit when they resell it.

I do like the idea that they are reducing the monthly charges by $15, but before that can become appealing to anyone.. They must really work on the speeds for their network.

13 of 18 (7,016 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile

14 of 18 (6,923 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 20, 2013 4:56:54 AM
    (0)
    Expert

madjei wrote:
    http://www.sprint.com/landings/oneup/?INTCID=TSC:UHP:091213:Echo&adSelectData=1:Module_Echo_091213#.UjwZe3rD_qA

Interesting, although Sprint has built in failsafes for themselves

- *Unlimited while on the Sprint network. $15 monthly discount expires after final
    installment payment. Guarantee is valid while on qualified plan. Price and phone
    selection subject to change.

- Sprint One Up: Req. installment agmt w/ $0 down, 24 monthly
    payments (final payment amount varies; balance not to exceed full purchase
    price), 0% APR on approved credit & qualifying service plan. Sales taxes due
    at sale on full purchase price

- Customers participating in One Up may not be eligible to participate in other
    device offers until their installment agreement is paid in full.

- Usage Limitations: : Other plans may receive prioritized
    bandwidth availability. Streaming video speeds may be limited to 1 Mbps. Sprint
    may terminate service if off-network roaming usage in a month exceeds: (1) 800
    min. or a majority of min.; or (2) 100 MB or a majority of KB

- Are there any service discounts associated with Sprint One UpSM?

Yes, smartphone customers will receive a $15 monthly service discount off of Unlimited, My Way and My All-in plans. No other plans will receive the discount. The service discount will suspend once your device purchased through Sprint One UpSM is paid in full. This service discount does not apply for tablets.

- Who is eligible for Sprint One UpSM?

• New Consumer customers with qualifying credit
    • Existing customers must meet all of the following criteria:
      • Be in good payment standing with Sprint
      • Meet Sprint’s qualifying credit and customer criteria
      • Had at least 12 months pass since the last qualified phone activation or upgrade
      • Must give back current phone at time of purchase and the device must be in good working condition
        • Note: Existing customers that are upgrade eligible do not have to give back their device in order to participate.
      • Smartphones must be on or moved to one of the following plans: Unlimited, My Way or My All-in.

- What does good working condition mean when giving back my device to participate in Sprint One UpSM?

Good working condition is defined as power on and cannot have broken, cracked or missing pieces.

Lot of caveats, looks like they do a hard credit ping also since they specificly state in "good standing" Again, the carrier wins, especially if you have a existing contract with them and want to switch over, they get back a subsidized phone that must be in good working order and no physical damage, refurb it, resell it and make more profit. Plus they build in a minimum pan requirement AND specificly state overuse will be throttled.

15 of 18 (6,907 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 10, 2013 5:01:51 PM
    (0)
    Employee

So is it safe to assume that because I upgraded my phone earlier this year, that I would not be able to take advantage of the NEXT program until after the two years expires?

16 of 18 (4,521 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 10, 2013 5:32:23 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor
    That is correct lilybug. Smiley Happy

There is also those special exceptions like when new iPhones launch. At least for me (21 months into my contract), it says I'm eligible. So I guess it really depends. Smiley Happy

17 of 18 (4,517 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 13, 2013 10:57:13 AM
    (0)
    Employee

Hey lilybug

Although you are probably not able to take advanatage of ATT Next, you may check your upgrade eligiblity on your account see if/when you become available for partial discount pricing.

Additionally, you offer a trade in programm ( tradein-program.att.com ) and between the partial discount and trade, I've seen many people get close to the 2 year pricing on the phone, although ATT Next is still unavailable.

-Alex

18 of 18 (4,397 Views)