Not being able to move aps to my SD on my S4

Contributor

Not being able to move aps to my SD on my S4

I just recently purchased the new Galaxy S4 and when i inserted my 32 gb SD card that i had in my Note 1 i tried to save certain Aps and discovered that you can not move them to the SD anymore.  I contacted Samsung and they advised that the option to move the apps has been removed from Android 4.0 and the Note 1 had Android 2.3.6 due to which i was able to move the apps.  However, I  can move the application whose file size is more than 1GB.  So basically anything under that i can't move which sucks when you have a 16 gb phone of which only 9.72 is available.  Another Samsung rep told me that i could format the SD card in FAT 32 format but that did nothing.  The only thing that i can think might work is to root the phone but that will void the warranty.  Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Message 1 of 7 (1,083 Views)
Professor

Re: Not being able to move aps to my SD on my S4

I'm not sure what you are asking.  What the first Samsung rep told you is true; you can't move apps under 1GB to the microSD card on phones using Ice Cream Sandwich or higher.  I don't know why the second rep told you to format your microSD card as a solution to this.

Message 2 of 7 (1,044 Views)
Contributor

I dunno either, that's what one rep told me.  Doesn't matter now, i went back and swapped for the 32 gb S4.

Message 3 of 7 (1,004 Views)
Mentor

The latest versions of Android has removed the ability to move apps to external SD cards.  Not sure why google did this.

Message 4 of 7 (927 Views)
Master

I was wondering the same thing...kind of a lame move as the S4 comes with less than 9GB or so out of the box due to the OS...

The 32GB model is a much better alternative if storage is a main concern. The 16GB model is probably aimed toward the budget conscious and the average everyday smartphone user, not the heavy users who keep their phones for a longer period of time. All of that content adds up over time.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 5 of 7 (869 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Google has publicly stated that they no longer support sd card implementation. This is the reason my Nexus 4 has no sd card slot. What is interesting is that Google will soon be selling a Google Edition S4 thru the Playstore that is vanilla Android and still has the sd card slot. It remains to be seen if this is an about face or not. We will find out when the next Nexus comes out.

Message 6 of 7 (824 Views)
Contributor

What about just using a bigger SD card?  Or, swapping the 32 GB card for higher?  Is 32 GB the highest?

Wild Banchi wrote:
I was wondering the same thing...kind of a lame move as the S4 comes with less than 9GB or so out of the box due to the OS...

The 32GB model is a much better alternative if storage is a main concern. The 16GB model is probably aimed toward the budget conscious and the average everyday smartphone user, not the heavy users who keep their phones for a longer period of time. All of that content adds up over time.

Message 7 of 7 (476 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.