Non-US Resident hoping to use AT&T SIM Card on Unlocked iPhone 4s on Prepaid basis

Highlighted
Contributor

Non-US Resident hoping to use AT&T SIM Card on Unlocked iPhone 4s on Prepaid basis

[ Edited ]

Hi there, I live in Canada but I visit the US often (every 2-3 months). I'm looking to upgrade my service and move it from Virgin to AT&T, but I will only do this if I'm able to: 1) buy a sim card for my iPhone 4s to use with AT&T, and 2) that I can use on a prepaid basis (either a daily rate plan, or a monthly plan that I can shut off and back on every 3 months or so), and 3) will accept a Canadian credit card or Paypal to top up with.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I noticed in the AT&T SIM card section for iPhone 4s something about a mandatory 2yr plan in order for it to work. Anyone know a way around this, if this is true? If not, I'm going to stick with Virgin. Joined them in 2008 and, while it's been good, I'm sick of the crappy handset.

Thank you!

Sandy

Message 1 of 2 (804 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Non-US Resident hoping to use AT&T SIM Card on Unlocked iPhone 4s on Prepaid basis

Prepaid does not require a 2yr commitment and it is possible to use it with an iPhone. I have no idea if it is easy to switch from a monthly prepaid to "pay as you go" plan and back, and I doubt about being able to pay with Paypal. In the past there were issues reported with using a foreign credit card to buy refills online from AT&T, but it's been possible to buy refill cards from eBay. Don't know if that is still possible.

Here's the AT&T prepaid plans page. Of course it doesn't have the information you need, but it'll give you an idea of what your options are.

Finally, I've used the $2/day plan with a smartphone quite successfully, but I had the data turned off on the smartphone, using Wi-Fi only when available. Not sure if that satisfies your need, but something to keep in mind.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 2 (763 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.