Nokia Lumia 900 frozen screen and question mark in battery icon

Highlighted
Teacher

Nokia Lumia 900 frozen screen and question mark in battery icon

Just bought 2 of the Lumia 900 for the wife and me about 3 weeks ago. Very happy with the purchase until today when wife's phone got frozen screen after completing a call. The battery icon shows completely drained and there's a question mark inside the battery. This is impossible since the phone was fully charged overnight. Unable to power off to reset the phone since the screen is frozen and won't allow me to slide down to power off. Searched on line for solution and found one on another forum. Turns out this problem has happened before with Lumia 800 and Samsung Focus. The solution is to hold power button down for 10 seconds or more and release it. The screen will go dark, reset, and power back up. Then everything works fine afterward.

Is Nokia or AT&T aware of this problem? If yes, did they release a fix for it yet? After purchasing the phones, I did all the software updates, but still encountered this problem.  Nokia and Windows phone fans out there, any comments? Should I have gone with the iPhone 4S instead?

Message 1 of 19 (65,708 Views)
Mentor

Re: Nokia Lumia 900 frozen screen and question mark in battery icon

I have used many Windows Phones and haven't seen this issue before.  How many times has this occured?  If only once, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Message 2 of 19 (65,666 Views)
Scholar

If the phone works along w/ the buttons, but the touch screen doesn't work, it's prolly the digitizer that went out. This happened to my lumia 800. I couldn't get it fixed since it was an overseas phone, the only way to fix it is if I were to send it to the UK to get fixed. I went w/ the 900 after. This was a better choice since it was a US based phone. I'm on my 2nd lumia 900. My 1st one had a dead spot on the screen when I set it to landscape mode I could not type the the [J] & [N] buttons so I swapped it w/  a new one after 3 days of use. My 2nd one seems to be working fine. I suggest you exchange yours for a new one b4 your 30 days expires and also buy the AT&T mobile insurance for $6.99/mo, just to be on the safe side w/ your phone.

Message 3 of 19 (65,648 Views)
Teacher

xda-developers forum has a post with the exact problem (frozen screen and question mark in battery icon). According to the post, Lumia 800 and Samsung Focus had the same problem until a new software was released to fix it. So hopefully one for the Lumia 900 will be released soon. WPCentral has several posts with other Lumia 900 screen issues, some of which Nokia has acknowledged and promised a software fix soon (no exact date). Nokia.com support forum also list several options to fix a frozen screen. One of which is the soft reset (holding down the power button for 10 seconds). This soft reset did fix my problem. There are 2 other options, but these will wipe out your phone and reset everything to factory. Another suggestion is to power down your phone every once in a while, I guess to "cleanse" it and prevent screen freeze.

I realize every phone, including my old iPhone, will freeze every now and then. I can accept that. My Lumia 900 froze only once so far. I'm still a bit nervous because the phone is only 3 weeks old, plus other forums claim this problem occurred before on prior models and was fixed with a software update. I will chalk this up to being a fluke incident, but if it continues frequently, then ... Nokia, we have a problem.

I don't believe in extra insurance/warranty because if you have to get it, then the product is not worth purchasing in the first place.  Consumer Reports also advise against it.  I just hope I never have to regret buying the Lumia 900. I really wanted to see Nokia and Microsoft succeed just to give the consumers more choices than just Apple or Android.

Message 4 of 19 (65,619 Views)
Contributor

I had the exact same screen freeze this week. I finally used the side of my hand (since one finger wasn't budging the shade, tried 3 and it moved slightly) to close the window shade and turn off the phone. After I restarted it it was super senitive and scrolling crazy fast. Turned off and on again and has been ok since. The only other slight issue I had was during charging the battery level is a little over 3/4 then after you unplug it goes to full. Not sure what is up with that.

Keeping a very close eye on it, if anything screwy happens again this puppy is going right back for a replacement.

Message 5 of 19 (65,395 Views)
Contributor

Not sure about the question mark in battery icon, but my phone locked up several times last week. I was outside at an area without any cell service and powered the phone down to save battery power. Several times during the week I needed to use the camera, and held the power button until it vibrated. The phone seemed to power up correctly, but the screen would not allow me to "slide it up" and enter my password. I could feel it vibrate when hitting the menu and "back arrow" buttons, but there was no response when touching the screen in any way. I held the power button to turn it back off, waited a few minutes and tried it again. A couple times I had to power cycle it many times before the screen bacame functional. I had kept the phone in a jacket pocket while it was powered off and had wondered if the screen was too cold (or hot), my fingers were too cold, or if the jacket pocket caused static to build up on the screen. The "capacitive" screen responds to touch, but I cannot find anything on how the screen is affected by heat, cold, or static situations. If your wife had the phone up against her cheek for any length of time, the screen may have been heated up to the same body temp as her fingers. Anyone else notice hot/cold related issues with the screen freezing?

Message 6 of 19 (65,284 Views)
Contributor

I just shipped my third Lumia 900 back to Amazon. I haven't read of anyone with the same problems that I had, and AT&T support folks I talked to said that they had seen many problems, but not mine. All three phones behaved identically The phone would often - but not always - freeze when syncing with Google calendar and contacts. Less often it would freeze when syncing with Microsoft Live. When this occurred, the phone would get very hot - as though the processor was working itself to death - and then deplete the battery completely within two to three hours. Resetting the phone temporarily cured the problem, but it would ome back within a couple of hours. I have no wy of knowing if this was hardware or software, but after trying three times I've given up. I don't know what phone to try next...
Message 7 of 19 (65,211 Views)
Teacher

Doing a soft reset fixed my frozen screen. The problem hasn't re-occurred in over a month now. The soft reset consists of holding the power key down for about 10 seconds until the screen goes dark, then let go of the power key and let the phone reboot by itself. This soft reset does not wipe anything out.

After this soft reset, if you wish, you can also reset your phone to factory. Now that the screen is "unfrozen", you can go to Settings, About, Reset.  This method will wipe out all your data, so make sure to back it up first.  When I called AT&T tech support, they actually recommended that I did this.  I decided not to do it because after the soft reset mentioned above, I haven't had the screen freeze up on me again. So, perhaps Resetting to Factory is not necessary at this time.

There are also a couple of other methods to soft reset and hard reset your phone in case your screen freezes up on you. These entail holding down the Volume, Power, Camera keys in certain sequences. Quite a few sites have mentioned these methods. I cannot vouch for them since I haven't had the need to reset my phone yet. Here's a link to a site that has pretty detailed instructions on how to reset your Lumia 900.  Hope this helps.

http://www.freerepairguide.com/hard-reset-nokia-lumia-900.html

Message 8 of 19 (64,797 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for your post you just saved me another trip to an  ATT store,

I got my very good looking lumia 900 about a week ago and after just 3 days my screen was black and locked, I took it back to the ATT  store in Stamford, CT this past Tuesday,( Alex the rep was very helpful, credit to the all That's reps in general they are the best).

He graciously exchanged it  for me with a new unit that worked all  fine, until  this morning (3 days later) same issue, and thanks to your post I got it unlocked in 10 seconds or so.

I do not know if it's hardware issue in which case Nokia need to get their thing together or if it's a windows thing they need to patch it ASAP, because if this happens again a 3rd time, this white thing is going back to ATT and I am going back to the much hated but reliable Iphone.

Message 9 of 19 (64,473 Views)
Contributor

I have the same problem and it has been very annoying.  I don't have the issue with the battery question mark but my screen freezes way too often.  I had a Samsung Focus and when it froze, fewer times than the Nokia, I could just take the battery out to reset.  The Nokia is not that simple and I don't like this about the phone.  I thank you for the information about how to reset, AT&T techs couldn't even tell me that, and I called after the second time it happened a few months ago.  I've had my phone since about 3mons. 

I have another issue, when I went to update my phone it wouldn't accept the updates.  Anyone have this issue and if so any suggestions as to what to do about it?

Thanks

TML

Message 10 of 19 (61,482 Views)
Scholar

Have you plugged both of your phones into your PC and checked for updates?  If not, you should just to make sure you're on the latest version of everything...  

Message 11 of 19 (61,453 Views)
Contributor

I have had this problem 6 or more times my only solution has been to hold the on/off button 10 seconds and wait eventually it shuts down this morning it took 5 minutes from when I held the button to shut down. This is so bad I am afraid to go any where without a charger. I have days that I have made 2 calls and the battrie shows low in less than 12 hours.

Message 12 of 19 (60,969 Views)
Contributor

The exact same thing just happened to me. I didn't even answer the phone call, and after I reset it, my battery was at the same percentage as the night before when I plugged it in. So I'm guessing it's something with the battery and or charging.

Message 13 of 19 (59,902 Views)
Contributor

thank you for telling us how you fixed the problem!!

Message 14 of 19 (56,373 Views)
Contributor

Smiley Mad

Uggghhh where do I start with my disappointment in this phone,,, typically the stubborn me refused to go any other manufacturer as I've always had Nokia handsets..

this is more of a short story than a summary of issue and a request from fellow users for troubleshooting assistance!!! I at the point I'd rather it never work again so I have reason to get a new and different brand all together..

aside from it lacking so much in performance,, apps,,, basic functions other operating systems have as standard features  this phone has had too many faults in not even 4months...

1st issue ... After not even a month while on charge I hear it make the noise when it has been either plugged in or  has fully charged. I look over and notice the screen hasn't lit up.. So pick it up and its is completely dead... Won't turn on,,, find user reviews and followed instruction of to connect to computer with Zune software,,let it run in background and the phone will reboot and power on after a while- ...  it powered back on within 5minutes,, was happy at first with quick solution ..

2nd issue,, I am unable to make or receive calls without needing to have it on LoudSpeaker or headphones plugged in... I can hear fine but the person on the other end cannot hear me properly,,hear their own distorted echo etc etc... Was advised by carrier,,to remove sim,,,phone would be rebooted,,then reinsert, sim,,, for maybe 3 calls I didnot receive any complaints from my friends,,, then soon after I am unable to call unless on loudspeaker ..

3rd issue,,, at work maybe 2 months after purchase,,, i check phone ,,,its competely dead again.....

first chance drive straight home,,plugged into laptop with Zune running,,, hours later no  change,,,not even indication phone was charging..

i gave up and decided to try over weekend when I had more time,,,, that night out of habit,,,put it on charge,, few hours later I hear that powering up ding...my phone is alive.. Feelings of total relief / happiness but also pure frustration .

4th issue -month 3', randomly without being touched phone keeps switching from home screen to random installed tiles on front page,,, then switches out,,, then opens back up to the tile again... Only way to stop the glitching is to power off and turn back on ...

5th issue- early month 4 ,,, phone wont slide open,,, try it slowly as it had started lacking in function speed,,, no response,  try power off to reset,,, the "slide down to power off " appears,,, cannot slide,,,, home,search and arrow button are non responsive....

only button to cause any affect was off button,,,but then screen eventually just stays black unless connected to charger then it will momentarily light up..... Incoming calls cannot be answer as the slide up to answer doesn't respond..cant even "silence/ ignore ringing volume...

after many failed attempts and hours trying to power off... I give up then decide to give just one more attempt,,, it reboots and all functions are working again instantly .

This is my  second Nokia "smart" phone....I will not bother getting replacement / repaired handset as I had 3replacements each with a different fault before I finally has happy with my last phone... Nokia is so far behind the market that a new handset is released before they fix issues with previous model,,,while Samsung for example put  all there effort in fixing bugs and flaws in current phones before selling something new to consumers Just to keep up with marketshare?.. Don't care bout customer satisfaction and more  a do whatever it takes attitude And maybe deal with problems alter if have to ..

ok thats off my chest!! Thanks for taking the time to  read/skim through this clearly dissapointed review,,, 

comments are not required asi don't intend to get past any Futher flaws... just shaing my bad luck story in the hope that if I can influence a strangers decision to purchase of a product that is so below the standard it's claiming ,,then I have done my good dead for the day Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 19 (52,898 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.