No service when power went down yesterday

Tutor

No service when power went down yesterday

AT&T let me down big time yesterday.  We had a bad ice storm in South Carolina that took power out for about 12 hours in my area.  You would think AT&T's tower would have a back up generator but apparently they do not.  I lost service during that power outage.  I had no ability to make calls or use the internet for most of that 12 hour outage.  My neighbors all had Verizon and they were working fine.  I have been with AT&T since 2007 and I'm so frustrated over this I will probably switch when my contract is over. 

I'm just wondering if this is common that A&T does not use back generators for their towers?

Message 1 of 3
Highlighted

Re: No service when power went down yesterday

I just got through the same storm but I didn't lose power or cell service -- I'm in Atlanta.  I don't know about the generators at the cell towers.  There may be other reasons why cell service went down.

Have you had trouble with coverage in rural areas -- where their map says there should be coverage and there's none at all?  I started a thread about this ("Problem Connecting in 2G Areas") and I still haven't gotten the answers I'm looking for.

I just switched from Verizon and, in spite of the problems I've had in rural areas, I like AT&T's network service much more than Verizon's.

Message 2 of 3
Tutor

Re: No service when power went down yesterday

The coverage where I go in SC has been fine.  I don't get more than 2/3 bars at home though, but Verizon is the same.  We also have AT&T land line service in my neighborhood and the traditional phone lines are still not working even though power was restored in our area.  The neighbors called AT&T and they said they have no power at the station and there is no backup generator there!

I am in the Summerville area of SC and it's not rural.  They clearly don't have the infrastructure when a power failure happens. 

Message 3 of 3
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support