No future LTE in wisconsin?

Tutor

No future LTE in wisconsin?

I have been enjoying relatively fast and reliable 3G and hspa+ in Madison, Wisconsin for sometime now and haven't had any major reason to leave AT&T.

However, I have been looking into getting an LTE phone probably by the end of the year and since AT&T hasn't announced any plans to put LTE in Madison I find myself in a conundrum.

Verizon has our area well covered with LTE (with speed tests showing 24Mbps) but naturally their 3G service isn't nearly as fast as AT&T's here.  Verizon download speeds on 3G are around 500kbps where as AT&T on hspa+ is giving me closer to 2Mbps per second.  Pretty substantial difference not to mention Verizons 3G restriction of no data and voice at the same time.

If AT&T was planning on putting LTE here soon I would stick with them but if I will get LTE coverage 98% of the time on verizon I might find myself switching for the first time in nearly 8 years.

Anyone at AT&T care to elaborate on any future LTE coverage here before I find myself too tempted and switch for superior network speeds?

Message 1 of 40 (11,029 Views)
Tutor

Re: No future LTE in wisconsin?

Woah, nevermind. I have it too! Nice!
Message 16 of 40 (6,896 Views)
Teacher

I noticed it last night too.. Its awesome, its way faster, and turned my Lumia 920 even better phone. THank you AT&T

Message 17 of 40 (6,811 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

scottadus seems to have a personal vendetta against US Cellular Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 40 (6,730 Views)
Teacher

They are a good network but they are always somehow behind

They dont even have visual voicemail

Unacceptable and the same devices on us cellular dont work right

I think their software engineers are amateur

Message 19 of 40 (6,706 Views)
Contributor

Unless I'm mistaken, it must be back off now.  I had the signal earlier today when I was having breakfast, went out of town... and when I came back, back to H+.  

I  don't mind the speeds, but it was nice to see LTE for a little while.  Perhaps it was a test?

Message 20 of 40 (6,468 Views)
Teacher

Nope still on

Message 21 of 40 (6,354 Views)
Tutor

It's on for me still but I notice it isn't very wide spread in Madison. I can get LTE at work but not in the surrounding areas or at home yet. I imagine that just may be because its still being rolled out.
Message 22 of 40 (6,348 Views)
Contributor

I hope that's the case (not yet done with rollout).  It would be pretty cheezy to have LTE in "Madison" only covering Madison proper when a good percentage of what people think of as madison is actually Monona, Verona, Fitchburg, Middleton, etc.

I can get LTE signal when I'm at the gas station across from my workplace, but not at my workplace.  I can't get it at home, which is less than 5 min away from said gas station - and technically still in Madison.  

Message 23 of 40 (5,980 Views)
Teacher

Just be patient guys. It was a solid 5 months from then testing at Miller Park to the full launch. They are most likely trying to get coverage to reach from Madison straight to Milwaukee and down to Chicago. Big area to cover
Message 24 of 40 (5,147 Views)
Teacher

Anyone know of LTE coming to the Port Washington Area? I'm just north of the Milwaukee LTE buildout, and it drives me nuts everytime I have to go back to HSPA + from LTE!!

Message 25 of 40 (4,255 Views)
Tutor

Looks like they are working on Appleton WI. I get 2-3 bars of LTE when I drive through the center if town. It drops back to H+ at my house 5 blocks south. Hopefully the 2-3 bars is just because all the towers aren't lit or they bring them on at lower power first.
Message 26 of 40 (4,222 Views)
Teacher

That's good to know. Hopefully it'll extend around to Fondy and Sheboygan. I travel to these locations enough too! It would be nice to have consistant LTE the whole way, or in the Cities at the least.

Message 27 of 40 (4,207 Views)
Explorer

They need to get it going in Central WI

Message 28 of 40 (4,187 Views)
Teacher

I agree. Hopefully they do. Someone I know said they heard AT&T is planning a buildout of LTE across the entire Lake Michigan Shore and I-43 and consistant HSPA+ "4G" in Door County for the tourists. I haven't seen that yet though.

Message 29 of 40 (4,161 Views)
Voyager

Appleton's LTE footprint seems to be growing daily. I have seen speeds of up to 30 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up. Keep it rolling AT&T!

Message 30 of 40 (4,043 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.