Wireless Forums

Posted Apr 10, 2012
7:46:07 AM
No future LTE in wisconsin?

I have been enjoying relatively fast and reliable 3G and hspa+ in Madison, Wisconsin for sometime now and haven't had any major reason to leave AT&T.

However, I have been looking into getting an LTE phone probably by the end of the year and since AT&T hasn't announced any plans to put LTE in Madison I find myself in a conundrum.

Verizon has our area well covered with LTE (with speed tests showing 24Mbps) but naturally their 3G service isn't nearly as fast as AT&T's here.  Verizon download speeds on 3G are around 500kbps where as AT&T on hspa+ is giving me closer to 2Mbps per second.  Pretty substantial difference not to mention Verizons 3G restriction of no data and voice at the same time.

If AT&T was planning on putting LTE here soon I would stick with them but if I will get LTE coverage 98% of the time on verizon I might find myself switching for the first time in nearly 8 years.

Anyone at AT&T care to elaborate on any future LTE coverage here before I find myself too tempted and switch for superior network speeds?

39 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(39)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2013 7:44:29 PM
(0)
Teacher
That's awesome!
That's awesome!

Re: No future LTE in wisconsin?

31 of 40 (1,013 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2013 8:00:37 AM
(0)
Teacher

Just looked at the new Coverage map of 5/8! LTE is now in Fondy/Appleton/Oshkosh. Sheboygan and Port Washington have missed this upgrade... Grrrrrrr.. Hopefully LTE is coming to the east soon!!!

Just looked at the new Coverage map of 5/8! LTE is now in Fondy/Appleton/Oshkosh. Sheboygan and Port Washington have missed this upgrade... Grrrrrrr.. Hopefully LTE is coming to the east soon!!!

32 of 40 (977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2013 6:58:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

I like seeing this type of progress in Wisconsin. I myself is hoping for some LTE soon in the Wausau area. Also Eau Claire.

I like seeing this type of progress in Wisconsin. I myself is hoping for some LTE soon in the Wausau area. Also Eau Claire.

33 of 40 (960 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 11, 2013 4:34:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

So, today my girlfriend made a trip to Stevens Point. She had picked up LTE down there. Last week sometime it appeared that 4G was finally available there after many long years of EDGE.

What really dissapoints is that there is no indication of LTE in the Wausau area yet. I have seen tower work being done north of Wausau in Merrill as well. Does this mean a straight jump to LTE there as well?

Wausau had 4G active since June of 2011. Is the Wausau area now left out because we got that first?

One last thing I find odd is the huge amounts of LTE expansion without any sort of notification. I had asked an AT&T rep on twitter about Wausau getting this and I got the classic response. I dont even have to say what it was.

So, today my girlfriend made a trip to Stevens Point. She had picked up LTE down there. Last week sometime it appeared that 4G was finally available there after many long years of EDGE.

What really dissapoints is that there is no indication of LTE in the Wausau area yet. I have seen tower work being done north of Wausau in Merrill as well. Does this mean a straight jump to LTE there as well?

Wausau had 4G active since June of 2011. Is the Wausau area now left out because we got that first?

One last thing I find odd is the huge amounts of LTE expansion without any sort of notification. I had asked an AT&T rep on twitter about Wausau getting this and I got the classic response. I dont even have to say what it was.

34 of 40 (885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2013 3:22:11 PM
(0)
Voyager

LTE is probably setup in Wausau already. They just need FCC to give them the green light to flip the "switch" and turn on LTE. I would say by the fall Wausau should have LTE. That's when appleton/oshkosh/fond du lac will be "officially" covered with LTE also.( This could change and LTE could come earlier than the fall but as of right now plan for the fall deployment)

LTE is probably setup in Wausau already. They just need FCC to give them the green light to flip the "switch" and turn on LTE. I would say by the fall Wausau should have LTE. That's when appleton/oshkosh/fond du lac will be "officially" covered with LTE also.( This could change and LTE could come earlier than the fall but as of right now plan for the fall deployment)

35 of 40 (808 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 24, 2013 4:09:55 PM
(0)
Tutor
Saw some chatter online from Sprint customers in Wausau today seeing LTE on their phones. That makes Verizon, Cellcom and Sprint with LTE. Time to hit the gas AT&T. You are getting beat in central Wisconsin.
Saw some chatter online from Sprint customers in Wausau today seeing LTE on their phones. That makes Verizon, Cellcom and Sprint with LTE. Time to hit the gas AT&T. You are getting beat in central Wisconsin.

36 of 40 (770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2013 12:42:41 PM
(0)
Teacher

Nice to see that some areas are getting LTE! I'm still waiting for it in the Sheboygan area. And not sure if anyone has noticed, but AT&T updated their maps from blue to orange, and they're terrible!! I could tell the blues apart, but the orange is so hard to decipher between LTE Orange and HSPA+ Orange!! :smileysad:

Nice to see that some areas are getting LTE! I'm still waiting for it in the Sheboygan area. And not sure if anyone has noticed, but AT&T updated their maps from blue to orange, and they're terrible!! I could tell the blues apart, but the orange is so hard to decipher between LTE Orange and HSPA+ Orange!! :smileysad:

37 of 40 (720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 5:58:43 PM
(0)
Teacher

Looks like AT&T has deployed LTE to the central area of the state along Interstate 39. Its good that they're expanding, but I still think it's rediculous that Sheboygan, Eau Claire, Wausau, and Manitowoc (areas of 40,000 or more) are still on 3G or 4G HSPA+. Not to mention that Door County is still that 2G nightmare for my iPad and iPhone.

Moral of my post... Good work, but there's more to be done!

Looks like AT&T has deployed LTE to the central area of the state along Interstate 39. Its good that they're expanding, but I still think it's rediculous that Sheboygan, Eau Claire, Wausau, and Manitowoc (areas of 40,000 or more) are still on 3G or 4G HSPA+. Not to mention that Door County is still that 2G nightmare for my iPad and iPhone.

Moral of my post... Good work, but there's more to be done!

38 of 40 (470 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2013 3:19:34 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have been interested in AT&T for some time now; however, I live in Baraboo where we are pretty much right on the edge of any coverage.  I have friends from the Dells that have AT&T and while they are in Baraboo they either roam, or have 2G service.

Does anyone know if with the 4G LTE upgrades they are also increasing total service area?  Another possible issue is that I work in Reedsburg, which has ZERO coverage from AT&T.  Not even partner 2G, nothing... 

I'm looking to get a family plan with 2 phones and a tablet...  Would like for that to possibly be AT&T, but right now it's looking like maybe Sprint (surprisingly has 4G LTE in Baraboo before Madison) or Verizon (which I would like to avoid).

I have been interested in AT&T for some time now; however, I live in Baraboo where we are pretty much right on the edge of any coverage.  I have friends from the Dells that have AT&T and while they are in Baraboo they either roam, or have 2G service.

Does anyone know if with the 4G LTE upgrades they are also increasing total service area?  Another possible issue is that I work in Reedsburg, which has ZERO coverage from AT&T.  Not even partner 2G, nothing... 

I'm looking to get a family plan with 2 phones and a tablet...  Would like for that to possibly be AT&T, but right now it's looking like maybe Sprint (surprisingly has 4G LTE in Baraboo before Madison) or Verizon (which I would like to avoid).

39 of 40 (453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2013 9:28:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

I would recomend waiting on at&t. Even on their "4g" HSPA+ network i buy quicker speeds than Verizon's LTE network.

I would recomend waiting on at&t. Even on their "4g" HSPA+ network i buy quicker speeds than Verizon's LTE network.

40 of 40 (268 Views)