No future LTE in wisconsin?

Tutor

No future LTE in wisconsin?

I have been enjoying relatively fast and reliable 3G and hspa+ in Madison, Wisconsin for sometime now and haven't had any major reason to leave AT&T.

However, I have been looking into getting an LTE phone probably by the end of the year and since AT&T hasn't announced any plans to put LTE in Madison I find myself in a conundrum.

Verizon has our area well covered with LTE (with speed tests showing 24Mbps) but naturally their 3G service isn't nearly as fast as AT&T's here.  Verizon download speeds on 3G are around 500kbps where as AT&T on hspa+ is giving me closer to 2Mbps per second.  Pretty substantial difference not to mention Verizons 3G restriction of no data and voice at the same time.

If AT&T was planning on putting LTE here soon I would stick with them but if I will get LTE coverage 98% of the time on verizon I might find myself switching for the first time in nearly 8 years.

Anyone at AT&T care to elaborate on any future LTE coverage here before I find myself too tempted and switch for superior network speeds?

Message 1 of 40 (11,033 Views)
Master

Re: No future LTE in wisconsin?

There are some articles I found via Google but here is a link to ATT's network site.  http://www.att.com/network/

I am not seeing any announcements yet for Wisconsin.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 40 (10,977 Views)
Scholar

AT&T holds 30Mhz of the 700Mhz band in Dane county. That is more than enough to deploy 4G LTE in your area. This will probably occur next year or late this year. In comparison, Verizon has a nationwide 22 Mhz slice of 700Mhz spectrum. So in your county, AT&T actually has more spectrum for LTE and therefore may perform better than Verizon. 

Message 3 of 40 (10,974 Views)
Mentor

I would not leave at&t just to get Verizon's LTE. As it was pointed out, at&t has more capacity than Verizon, thus, at&t will have faster speeds. It may take a little while for at&t to get LTE to your area, but hey, if its going to be better I think it would be well worth the wait.
Message 4 of 40 (10,950 Views)
Tutor

It does sound like AT&T LTE will probably be faster than Verizon's but it still makes me wonder how long I will have to wait to get LTE in our area on AT&T. If its likely to be here by sometime in early 2013 then that's not bad at all. But if it's going to be years then I might want to switch.
Message 5 of 40 (10,947 Views)
Mentor

I would recomend waiting on at&t. Even on their "4g" HSPA+ network I get faster speeds than Verizon's LTE network.
Message 6 of 40 (10,931 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

althe3rd wrote:
It does sound like AT&T LTE will probably be faster than Verizon's but it still makes me wonder how long I will have to wait to get LTE in our area on AT&T. If its likely to be here by sometime in early 2013 then that's not bad at all. But if it's going to be years then I might want to switch.
Should be sometime in 2013. This comes from the AT&T network news page: AT&T expects its LTE deployment to be largely complete by year-end 2013.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 40 (10,888 Views)
Teacher

Actually i was having issues with my phone recently and AT&T tech told me they are installing LTE in milwaukee as we speak and should be deployed in the coming months. Not sure if they were blowing smoke at me and making excuses for poor data coverage bu...
Message 8 of 40 (10,606 Views)
Teacher

AT&T has the spectrum in Wisconsin on lockdown i can't see why they would push off deploying it. I was told by Public Relations for Wisconsin/Illinois that milwaukee is the 21st largest market if AT&T can't see why they would wait
Message 9 of 40 (10,612 Views)
Teacher

Check FCC filing...they purchased 700mhz spectrum from redwood wireless which gives them access to all of southern WI and MN. They already have 6mhz E Block spectrum for LTE download back up. They are building it right now...stay tuned
Message 10 of 40 (10,534 Views)
Teacher

My concern is at&t won't tell us anything. We have waited and waited. I have been with at&t for over 7 years and my three Lines will be off contract in October and we are seriously considering leaving for US cellular or Verizon, don't want to but I need at&t to tell or show us a commitment to truly improving Wisconsins network.
Message 11 of 40 (10,315 Views)
Teacher

LTE will be here long before October just not sure if they will finish it before that they are talking about a complete build out from Milwaukee to Madison and ...Racine, Kenosha to Chicago.

I would just be patient...I've seen US Cellular LTE and its nothing compared with AT&T. Verizon network is constantly down and CDMA network gets congested with large amounts of people. I was the only one who could use my phone at summerfest last night
Message 12 of 40 (10,259 Views)
Contributor

I live in Kenosha, and just got an LTE device from AT&T. Personally I am just fine with their "4g" for now. The way I see it, I will save battery life not having LTE on, and the "4g" speeds are already fast enough for me. Although I would definitely like to see how fast lte is, as I have never tried it.
Message 13 of 40 (10,184 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

ATT just turned on LTE in madison today!! holy crap im getting 32 mb

Thats faster then i get on charter internet.

WOW

US Cellular with your 10 mb lte

[Inappropriate content removed]

Message 14 of 40 (6,966 Views)
Tutor

^ Source?

Message 15 of 40 (6,907 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.