Ask a question

Posted Jul 25, 2011
9:42:55 AM
View profile
No Coverage In Metal Building At Work

I have the IPhone4.  Outside I get 4 to 5 bars and 3g.  When I walk inside I lose all service and 1 bar and 3g will periodically come for a few minutes.  This makes it impossible to use any of the functions of my IPhone that I want to use such as streaming ESPN radio, Netflix, Slingbox, or other apps because they crash almost immediately.

Does anyone have a solution to this?  Maybe something I can buy to give myself a signal and 3g service?

No Coverage In Metal Building At Work

6 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2011 10:10:59 PM
(0)
Scholar

you honestly, think a giant metal building isnt going to degrade service at all? lol. solution: WIFI at work. 

Re: No Coverage In Metal Building At Work

2 of 7 (817 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2011 12:59:37 AM
(0)
Employee
wifi or microcell, wifi will be the best option.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 7 (810 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2011 1:14:35 PM
(0)
Expert
does anyone that hs a cellphone get good 2G signal inside the building?

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

When the going gets rough, hide in a pillow fort and pretend you don't exist.

4 of 7 (802 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2011 2:03:46 PM
(0)
Professor

wilcre wrote:
does anyone that hs a cellphone get good 2G signal inside the building?

Not unless he happens to be standing at a window with full view of the cell tower.

5 of 7 (798 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2011 10:16:20 AM
(0)
Expert
well then that would mean that there is nothing that could be done that wont cost someone money, this is the design flaw of the building unfortunately.

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

When the going gets rough, hide in a pillow fort and pretend you don't exist.

6 of 7 (732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 3:24:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

OKAY.  Our church has a large multi-purpose metal building behind the main church building.  I installed a wireless router (ethernet connection to U-Verse Gateway in main church office).  All is great for WiFi DATA but, of course, the cell coverage is only 1 and sometimes, 2 bars.

I installed the AT&T Microcell by first initializing it in the church office where 4 bar LTE service is available.  The GPS was also available, I gave it a few cell phone numbers to allow access. And it finished installing in about 30 minutes- I got the text msg indicating it had finished.  I moved the microcell into the metal building and connected it to the wireless router which has an ethernet connection to the U-Verse Gateway.  WiFi is still great but the cell phone coverage does not appear to be improved.  Only about 20 feet from the microcell.  I expected to see the microcell access name but I do not, even after re-booting the phone.  Does there need to be a GPS signal after the initialization?  Should I purchase an antenna for the microcell?  Not sure where I could place the end point of the antennae.

7 of 7 (488 Views)