Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 18, 2013
5:15:28 AM
View profile
Next

My wife was eligible for an upgrade and chose the Next option by mistake last month.  The result - I am paying $25 a month for 20 months for an iPhone 5c even though I wanted to do the two year commitment, which would have cost just $99 total. The Next option also required a $99 payment.  I called customer support to see if I could change but was told it was too late.  Why is this company so inflexible? 

My wife was eligible for an upgrade and chose the Next option by mistake last month.  The result - I am paying $25 a month for 20 months for an iPhone 5c even though I wanted to do the two year commitment, which would have cost just $99 total. The Next option also required a $99 payment.  I called customer support to see if I could change but was told it was too late.  Why is this company so inflexible? 

Next

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 5:33:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
By the company rules, you have 14 days to return the incorrect purchase. After 14 days, your purchase stands as is.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
By the company rules, you have 14 days to return the incorrect purchase. After 14 days, your purchase stands as is.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Next

2 of 7 (684 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 6:45:41 AM
(0)
Contributor
The customer service rep mentioned that to me also. I didn't know that I had the installment option until today, long after the 14 days. I'm OK with phone but the terms are terrible.
The customer service rep mentioned that to me also. I didn't know that I had the installment option until today, long after the 14 days. I'm OK with phone but the terms are terrible.

3 of 7 (673 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 8:43:55 AM
(0)
Expert

mcreid99 wrote:

the next plan is based on the full retail price of the device, not the subsidized cost, full retail for a 5C starts at 599.99 for the 16GB. In addition the phone can be upgraded at 12 months instead of 24 months. The catch is that you need to trade in the current phone in good condition and working. Verizon and T-Mobile have similar plans 

mcreid99 wrote:

the next plan is based on the full retail price of the device, not the subsidized cost, full retail for a 5C starts at 599.99 for the 16GB. In addition the phone can be upgraded at 12 months instead of 24 months. The catch is that you need to trade in the current phone in good condition and working. Verizon and T-Mobile have similar plans 

4 of 7 (661 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 9:16:08 AM
(0)
Employee

Hey mcreid99,

AT&T wants to make sure you're comfortable with the details of the upgrade, so as a final added measure, AT&T usually emails you, something like it shows here, ( http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB413369 )

Now, since that's not really helpful going forward, I might reccomend this instead .

The new plans we have available, gives customers a discount from being under the typical 2 year contract,

http://www.myattrpc.com/

That's designed to help make the AT&T next more palatable.

If I remember right, you can also visit an AT&T store, and they can accelerate the payment, and you can pay off the rest of the phone, unlock it, sell it and get access to another upgrade.

-Alex

Hey mcreid99,

AT&T wants to make sure you're comfortable with the details of the upgrade, so as a final added measure, AT&T usually emails you, something like it shows here, ( http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB413369 )

Now, since that's not really helpful going forward, I might reccomend this instead .

The new plans we have available, gives customers a discount from being under the typical 2 year contract,

http://www.myattrpc.com/

That's designed to help make the AT&T next more palatable.

If I remember right, you can also visit an AT&T store, and they can accelerate the payment, and you can pay off the rest of the phone, unlock it, sell it and get access to another upgrade.

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 7 (659 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 4:48:59 AM
(0)
Contributor
I just can't believe that AT&T won't allow me to change to a two year commitment plan. I am on a family plan with 4 lines, am a Premiere customer, and have been with them for several years. I have no great desire to upgrade technology on an accelerated basis. I would think that they would want to keep me happy since I have been a loyal and long standing customer.. I am extremely disappointed. Thanks for your reply.
I just can't believe that AT&T won't allow me to change to a two year commitment plan. I am on a family plan with 4 lines, am a Premiere customer, and have been with them for several years. I have no great desire to upgrade technology on an accelerated basis. I would think that they would want to keep me happy since I have been a loyal and long standing customer.. I am extremely disappointed. Thanks for your reply.

6 of 7 (574 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2013 11:30:06 AM
(0)
Employee
The AT&T Next is under a unique type of contract that's different from the standard 2 year, but it's still effectively a contract. AT&T is as limited to the terms of the contract as you are. You're right, maybe contract should have more "out" options than the typical 14 days.
-Alex
The AT&T Next is under a unique type of contract that's different from the standard 2 year, but it's still effectively a contract. AT&T is as limited to the terms of the contract as you are. You're right, maybe contract should have more "out" options than the typical 14 days.
-Alex

7 of 7 (510 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments