Ask a question

Posted Aug 16, 2013
    11:59:51 PM
    New phone.

I am on my mothers galaxy so pardon my grammar.

I hate touchscreens for texting, it takes forever, its almost impossible and it beats the purpose of it.

I am looking for a phone that is the best for texting and has a physical keyboard.  

A phone that could also go on pandora and other music sites and possibly youtube and that means a touchscreen to be able to do that.  I also need a phone that has loud volume, the galaxy's isnt the best, it seems too low for enjoyment, atleast with these headphones.

I need a phone for music and texting. a phone where I could listen to music without transfering files since my laptop is broken. The iphone maybe but there isnt a keyboard.  The galaxy is good but doesnt have a keyboard which I nees because just typing this is taking forever.

I hope I get replies and this is in the right section because I cant repost this :/

I needa phone for texting, some web browsing and loud music.

could anyone help and give me ideas with reviews?

r

New phone.

16 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (16)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 17, 2013 4:19:32 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert
    Edited by Dcookie on Aug 17, 2013 at 4:22:53 AM

If you want a phone with a physical keyboard, it seems only the Quick Messaging phones have that feature.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/quickmessagingphones.html

As for using Youtube from a Quick Messaging device, I would suppose you can. Pandora, on the other hand, I think not. Pandora may not run smoothly from a non smartphone. I would have NO idea about the loudness of any of these phones, since I've had no experience with them. You may want to head to an ATT Store and check them out for yourself. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: New phone.

[ Edited ]
    2 of 17 (1,617 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 17, 2013 10:35:47 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor
    Perhaps the Blackberry Q10? I haven't really tested this device but worth putting out there. Smiley Tongue
    ~Sunshine :)
    - Sunshine :)
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 17 (1,572 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 18, 2013 9:21:56 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    Some case manufacturers make slide-out keyboards for a few iPhone models. Pretty neat, really. Take a look here: http://www.thereaderseye.com/add-a-physical-slide-out-keyboard-to-your-iphone-4-with-boxwaves-keyboard-buddy-case/

I'm not sure if they make slide-out keyboards like these for Android phones, Windows phones, etc. Personally I am a fan of iPhones and iOS. I would recommend getting one if you're interested!

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

4 of 17 (1,518 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 18, 2013 9:37:17 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Any more ideas? I am looking at the Q10 and I like it. AT&T should add some more phones. I am thinking about the iPhone but I am a messager. Touchscreen is a must though. I'm better at using the virtual keyboard now. It's just that messaging on the go would not be simple. I like the Galaxy S4 because I could do what I need to, music, messaging and browsing. Also videos. I am going to be on the AT&T service because my mother is on it. Has anyone used the new iPhone? How is the music loudness? Could you download free music? I have albums I have gotten from Piratebay but the laptop screen is broken so I am unable to get the music files to any phone.
    I also an unable to do anything on a website I spend time on, Mylol.
    Is the iPhone better than a Galaxy when it comes to internet searching, video watching, messaging and getting/listening to music on Pandora and Spotify?
    Would you recommend a touchscreen and/or any of these phones?
    Like I have said, I am doing better at using this virtual keyboard. It is taking rather long though. Especially during school, I would be making a lot of errors.
    I wish that they would make a phone like the iPhone or Galaxy and add a functional slideout keyboard.
    Currently I am looking at the Galaxy S3, iPhone 5 and the Blackberry Q10.
    I do not know much about the iPhone.

5 of 17 (1,514 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 18, 2013 9:49:00 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Wild Banchi, dude, that's awesome. Exactly the type of thing that I'm looking for. I could do everything I want on the touchscreen with a physical keyboard. Would it function with the iPhone 5? What is the difference between the iPhone 4 and 5? I would get 4 if the keyboard only works for it. Why isn't this more popular? Are there any trustworthy reviews for it? Is the company trustworthy? I'm sorry I'm asking a lot of questions, but now I'm excited. However it is pricey.

6 of 17 (1,511 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 18, 2013 10:20:46 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    On Amazon it has a 2.8/5.

7 of 17 (1,508 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 18, 2013 10:35:18 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    For the iPhone 5 version it has 1.8/5.

8 of 17 (1,505 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 20, 2013 2:20:56 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

AnarchistRebel wrote:
    Any more ideas? I am looking at the Q10 and I like it. AT&T should add some more phones. I am thinking about the iPhone but I am a messager. Touchscreen is a must though. I'm better at using the virtual keyboard now. It's just that messaging on the go would not be simple. I like the Galaxy S4 because I could do what I need to, music, messaging and browsing. Also videos. I am going to be on the AT&T service because my mother is on it. Has anyone used the new iPhone? How is the music loudness? Could you download free music? I have albums I have gotten from Piratebay but the laptop screen is broken so I am unable to get the music files to any phone.
    Is the iPhone better than a Galaxy when it comes to internet searching, video watching, messaging and getting/listening to music on Pandora and Spotify?
    Like I have said, I am doing better at using this virtual keyboard. It is taking rather long though. Especially during school, I would be making a lot of errors.
    I wish that they would make a phone like the iPhone or Galaxy and add a functional slideout keyboard.

I have no experience with the iPhone 5 as I do not need one and am perfectly content with my 4 model. All around, it's supposed to be a better phone, so I guess you couldn't go wrong with either models (4, 4S, 5) if you were to go the iPhone route. The speaker volume on my iPhone 4 is not as loud as it was on my original Samsung Captivate Galaxy S. With that being said, the speaker on the iPhone is still pretty good, but there is a noticeable difference in loudness compared to my Captivate. I would assume the Galaxy S4's speaker volume and quality would be equivalent or perhaps better than the original Galaxy S. There are apps that you can download from the App Store to support free music. I use one myself on my phone. It's unarguably my favorite app. 

As for the second set of your questions, all of the answers are YES, in my humble opinion. Even before I had my iPhone, I had an iPod Touch that I would go to right away when I wanted to browse the web, watch videos, use iMessage, etc. I refused to use my Captivate unless I had to (which was usually after my iPod's battery had died) because it was SO DARN SLOW. It was so clumsy and difficult to use the web and e-mail browsers on the phone. iOS has a MUCH better design. Again, this is my own opinion. The iPhone was made for multitasking. Android phones can usually only handle one or two things at a time before getting overwhelmed - at least, when it came to using my Captivate. 

I hope I'm not sounding like an Android hater because I'm not. Android really is a wonderful OS through and through, with so many options to customize your phone to make it truly unique to your personality. One of the biggest things I miss is the ability to support live wallpapers. Those were so cool! But after dealing with numerous lagginess, force closes, battery pulls, and other issues, I decided that it was time to throw in the towel on the Android OS. I very much enjoy Apple's iOS software, but don't think for a minute that I haven't thought about making the switch back -- or at least having the opportunity to use both platforms at the same time. 

The Galaxy S4 (and HTC One) looks like an amazing pair of phones, and I would probably enjoy using them very much! When it all boils down, though, the iPhone's rock solid reliability, speeds, and stability within the OS is what makes me leery of purchasing another Android device, no matter how cool or beautiful they are. 

9 of 17 (1,420 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 20, 2013 2:31:32 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

AnarchistRebel wrote:
    Wild Banchi, dude, that's awesome. Exactly the type of thing that I'm looking for. I could do everything I want on the touchscreen with a physical keyboard. Would it function with the iPhone 5? What is the difference between the iPhone 4 and 5? I would get 4 if the keyboard only works for it. Why isn't this more popular? Are there any trustworthy reviews for it? Is the company trustworthy? I'm sorry I'm asking a lot of questions, but now I'm excited. However it is pricey.

Dude, it is awesome. Smiley Happy

Yes, physical slide-out keyboards also are compatible with the iPhone 5 model. The main differences between the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 is that the iPhone 5 is two years newer; therefore, it boasts better features including but not limited to a larger screen, (by 0.5") sleeker aluminum construction, upgraded cameras, 1080P video recording, (if I'm not mistaken) Siri, Lightning charging connection, (as opposed to the 30 dock universal dock connector) and a few other features. I think you would be happy with either phones! Keep in mind, the iPhone 4 was released in 2010, the iPhone 4S (just a re-vamped 4) in 2011, iPhone 5 in 2012, and there's a new model iPhone (5S or 6) due out this fall. 

Not sure why the keyboards aren't more popular. I guess people may have just gotten used to typing with virtual touchscreen keyboards. I was able to type this post and the one above it with mine, so I guess I'm just a natural! I can't say much about the reviews/reliability of the product or the trustworthiness about the companies that sell them as I have no experience with using them. There are many keyboards to choose from. Just google "iPhone 4 keyboard" or "iPhone 5 keyboard." 

Hope this helps! 

10 of 17 (1,413 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 22, 2013 6:48:20 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    What do you think of an iPod touch or something? I need something to listen to music on. My mother said that I may not have data on my phone if I do get one. I don't think my mom could afford a $300 phone and not an iPod Touch which is the same amount. If my mom can't get data on a phone for me then I am going to need something for music. However I can't add music through my iTunes because the laptop screen is broken and if there isn't any data then it would be pointless because I am not in places to use free wifi.
    I don't know about any other cheaper alternative to a music device because it would be the same problem.
    I can't get data because I would go over and AT&T doesn't offer unlimited data.
    Apple products are too much money, and without my laptop getting an iPod seems useless.
    Getting a Galaxy seems useless without data, listening to music on their won't work.
    Also to get a good amount of songs on an iPod would require to purchase a version with more GB and that would be more money. Things are too overpriced.
    My mom can't change phone services. Why doesn't AT&T have unlimited data? About my problem what do you think?

11 of 17 (1,320 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 22, 2013 7:20:02 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert
    Edited by Dcookie on Aug 22, 2013 at 7:38:33 PM

AnarchistRebel wrote:
    What do you think of an iPod touch or something? I need something to listen to music on. My mother said that I may not have data on my phone if I do get one. I don't think my mom could afford a $300 phone and not an iPod Touch which is the same amount.
    I think you should forget about an iPod Touch, which seems to be about the same $$ as a smartphone that you don't think your mom can afford, anyway. Just MY opinion.
    If my mom can't get data on a phone for me then I am going to need something for music.
    Did you ever consider a plain old MP3 player with a good set of earbuds?? Again, Just MY opinion. I have one and it works great for music!! No data or wifi needed but you can't listen to Pandora, etc...
    However I can't add music through my iTunes because the laptop screen is broken and if there isn't any data then it would be pointless because I am not in places to use free wifi.
    I don't know about any other cheaper alternative to a music device because it would be the same problem.
    Apple products are too much money, and without my laptop getting an iPod seems useless.
    Getting a Galaxy seems useless without data, listening to music on their won't work.
    Also to get a good amount of songs on an iPod would require to purchase a version with more GB and that would be more money. Things are too overpriced.
    My mom can't change phone services. Why doesn't AT&T have unlimited data?
    Because it was discontinued quite awhile ago. Maybe it was due to the fact that many customers complained about having to pay $30/mo for it...who knows??? 
    About my problem what do you think? 
    Check my second answer....good luck!! 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

[ Edited ]
    12 of 17 (1,310 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 22, 2013 9:52:20 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

AnarchistRebel wrote:
    What do you think of an iPod touch or something? I need something to listen to music on. My mother said that I may not have data on my phone if I do get one. I don't think my mom could afford a $300 phone and not an iPod Touch which is the same amount. If my mom can't get data on a phone for me then I am going to need something for music. However I can't add music through my iTunes because the laptop screen is broken and if there isn't any data then it would be pointless because I am not in places to use free wifi.
    My mom can't change phone services. Why doesn't AT&T have unlimited data? About my problem what do you think?

If you are unable to get a smartphone (which is completely fine!), then I would highly recommend getting an iPod touch. They're great for listening to music and performing other wireless functions. They're pretty much like an iPhone, yet they are unable to make/receive phone calls and are significantly cheaper. You could even purchase a slightly used one off eBay or your local Craigslist if you're worried about the higher prices associated with the models that carry larger gigabyte capacities. If the iPod Touch is still not your thing, portable MP3 players (Zune, Sansa, iPod classic to name a few) are available for you to purchase. 

Many people that I know used to carry around two devices with them - their iPod touches and their non-smartphones. They eventually upgraded to iPhones to have everything they need in one device as opposed to carrying around two. But again, it's completely fine if you are unable to get a smartphone! Some feature phones are just as nice. Smiley Happy

Like Dcookie said before me, AT&T likely dropped their unlimited data plan in an effort to save customers money. Many people, so they claim, did not consume nearly as much data as once thought. This was before smartphones were capable of performing very advanced tasks that hogged a lot of bandwidth. Because of this, AT&T dropped the unlimited plan and moved to tiered plans. It seems that everyone that was complaining of the high unlimited plan prices are now kicking themselves for essentially "giving up" what is now so desperately desired. AT&T is not the only carrier to do this - Verizon Wireless and other smaller carriers have also adopted this policy.

13 of 17 (1,274 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 22, 2013 10:09:50 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

Wild Banchi wrote:

AnarchistRebel wrote:

I have no experience with the iPhone 5 as I do not need one and am perfectly content with my 4 model. All around, it's supposed to be a better phone, so I guess you couldn't go wrong with either models (4, 4S, 5) if you were to go the iPhone route. The speaker volume on my iPhone 4 is not as loud as it was on my original Samsung Captivate Galaxy S. With that being said, the speaker on the iPhone is still pretty good, but there is a noticeable difference in loudness compared to my Captivate. I would assume the Galaxy S4's speaker volume and quality would be equivalent or perhaps better than the original Galaxy S. There are apps that you can download from the App Store to support free music. I use one myself on my phone. It's unarguably my favorite app. 

As for the second set of your questions, all of the answers are YES, in my humble opinion. Even before I had my iPhone, I had an iPod Touch that I would go to right away when I wanted to browse the web, watch videos, use iMessage, etc. I refused to use my Captivate unless I had to (which was usually after my iPod's battery had died) because it was SO DARN SLOW. It was so clumsy and difficult to use the web and e-mail browsers on the phone. iOS has a MUCH better design. Again, this is my own opinion. The iPhone was made for multitasking. Android phones can usually only handle one or two things at a time before getting overwhelmed - at least, when it came to using my Captivate. 

I hope I'm not sounding like an Android hater because I'm not. Android really is a wonderful OS through and through, with so many options to customize your phone to make it truly unique to your personality. One of the biggest things I miss is the ability to support live wallpapers. Those were so cool! But after dealing with numerous lagginess, force closes, battery pulls, and other issues, I decided that it was time to throw in the towel on the Android OS. I very much enjoy Apple's iOS software, but don't think for a minute that I haven't thought about making the switch back -- or at least having the opportunity to use both platforms at the same time. 

The Galaxy S4 (and HTC One) looks like an amazing pair of phones, and I would probably enjoy using them very much! When it all boils down, though, the iPhone's rock solid reliability, speeds, and stability within the OS is what makes me leery of purchasing another Android device, no matter how cool or beautiful they are. 

Not that I have any experience with an iPhone but I'd have to say that you're comparing the iPhone to an older phone...Galaxy S4 is a 4G LTE phone and VERY fast compaired to a Capivate. So I wouldn't say the iPhone would be any faster ...would you Wild Banchi??? 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

14 of 17 (1,267 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 22, 2013 10:23:16 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    Edited by Wild Banchi on Aug 22, 2013 at 10:27:33 PM

Dcookie wrote:
    Not that I have any experience with an iPhone but I'd have to say that you're comparing the iPhone to an older phone...Galaxy S4 is a 4G LTE phone and VERY fast compaired to a Capivate. So I wouldn't say the iPhone would be any faster ...would you Wild Banchi??? 

That is true, the S4 is significantly newer than the Captivate (1st gen. Galaxy S). It is 4G LTE capable as opposed to just 3G, which does make it faster overall. The "speeds" I was referring to are actually how fast the phone responds when the screen is swiped, tapped, pressed, etc. The Captivate and iPhone 4 were each released around the same time frame; I think no more than a month in between each other. My iPhone just responds so much quicker than my Captivate did, which is a plus!

I played with an S4 demo model and there still seemed to be just a slight hint of lag. No doubt that it is an amazing and beautiful phone, though! Smiley Tongue

[ Edited ]
    15 of 17 (1,255 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 23, 2013 10:36:49 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    An iPhone does seem nice, however I have looked at multiple reviews about the iphone 5 vs Galaxy 4 and they said it was better because you could do more, the speed, the screen size, etc. It makes more sense to get a Galaxy based on the reviews. Getting a iPod with wifi and a touchscreen also makes more sense if the laptop isn't fixed, because then I would have at least wifi access some places to download free music via the browser and Pandora.
    Getting an MP3 would be pointless if I don't have a laptop. I could maybe get on the school computers.
    Maybe my mother could get a good deal and get data for my phone. However a smartphone and an iPod would cost more than it would to get the laptop fixed.

16 of 17 (1,178 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 1, 2013 9:06:12 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

I have an LG Xpression and I really like it.  It has a full physical QWERTY slide out keyboard and it's great for texting on.  I like using it more than an iPhone for typing.  I have a third generation iPod Touch and the keyboard is a bit cramped.  The iPod Touch is good for listening to music, though.  The iPod also does not require a data plan, if you are someone who does not want or need a data plan.  

17 of 17 (955 Views)