Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 15, 2013
10:22:38 PM
View profile
New Family Plan

Hello,

I would like someones help on how I can go about setting up a new family plan with 4 lines. Unfortunately, this isn't a simple new plan. Here are the details:

1. I currently have a prepaid account with Tmobile. The phone number has an area code from Indiana

2. My wife and her parents are currently on a family plan that expired in July with area codes from California

3. I need to be the primary account holder to take advantage of discount I receive through my employer(this means I cannot simply be added to there existing plan and sign a new contract with them)

We would like to set up a Mobile share plan with 10GB of data. I called ATT customer service last week and was told that in order to do this I would want to open a new account with ATT on and Individual plan. At the same time the customer service rep, either instore or over the phone, can start the process of transfering billing responsibilty as long on the primary account owner on the already existing att plan is on the line. We can then change the contract to a family mobile share plan. 

This is does seem right and here's why:

1. If i start a new individual account i am locking into a 2 year contract. How can they then switch this to a family plan? 

2. I've read that you cannot have 2 different area codes on the same family plan.

Has anyone gone through this process? Did you run into any issues? What were they. 

Hello,

I would like someones help on how I can go about setting up a new family plan with 4 lines. Unfortunately, this isn't a simple new plan. Here are the details:

1. I currently have a prepaid account with Tmobile. The phone number has an area code from Indiana

2. My wife and her parents are currently on a family plan that expired in July with area codes from California

3. I need to be the primary account holder to take advantage of discount I receive through my employer(this means I cannot simply be added to there existing plan and sign a new contract with them)

We would like to set up a Mobile share plan with 10GB of data. I called ATT customer service last week and was told that in order to do this I would want to open a new account with ATT on and Individual plan. At the same time the customer service rep, either instore or over the phone, can start the process of transfering billing responsibilty as long on the primary account owner on the already existing att plan is on the line. We can then change the contract to a family mobile share plan. 

1. If i start a new individual account i am locking into a 2 year contract. How can they then switch this to a family plan? 

2. I've read that you cannot have 2 different area codes on the same family plan.

Has anyone gone through this process? Did you run into any issues? What were they. 

New Family Plan

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 4:30:22 AM
(0)
Expert

bkrill7 wrote:

Hello,

that is correct you cannot have different caling areas on the same plan, so either you or your wife / her parents would have to give up the number. If you are not in California, I am not sure you can open a new line of service with a CA area code

the mobile share plan and family plan are two different types of plans. you would start the mobile share plan with the data limit you want, then who ever the primary account holder on the other plan would do a tobr to your mobile share plan.

bkrill7 wrote:

Hello,

that is correct you cannot have different caling areas on the same plan, so either you or your wife / her parents would have to give up the number. If you are not in California, I am not sure you can open a new line of service with a CA area code

the mobile share plan and family plan are two different types of plans. you would start the mobile share plan with the data limit you want, then who ever the primary account holder on the other plan would do a tobr to your mobile share plan.

Re: New Family Plan

2 of 9 (1,017 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 7:05:07 AM
(0)
Employee
I will do some research on this question whenever I get back to work. Because I did hear that you can't have two different area codes, but it seems like you're wanting to port in -- keep in mind that portability is a Law.
I will do some research on this question whenever I get back to work. Because I did hear that you can't have two different area codes, but it seems like you're wanting to port in -- keep in mind that portability is a Law.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 9 (1,001 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 8:29:04 AM
(0)
Expert

dtsxonxchoppas wrote:

but porting in and combineing to different area codes into a single family plan are two different things. The question has been asked previously and the answer was that 2 different area codes could not be combined into a residential family plan

dtsxonxchoppas wrote:

but porting in and combineing to different area codes into a single family plan are two different things. The question has been asked previously and the answer was that 2 different area codes could not be combined into a residential family plan

4 of 9 (983 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 10:06:06 AM
(0)
Employee

I reviewed, and the only way AT&T can combined different area codes in one account if one number was with a business account -- claiming to be the only exception for that situation.. I had to make sure, because I remember seeing it before

Other than that, the area code will have to be changed to that "market" you're going to

I reviewed, and the only way AT&T can combined different area codes in one account if one number was with a business account -- claiming to be the only exception for that situation.. I had to make sure, because I remember seeing it before

Other than that, the area code will have to be changed to that "market" you're going to

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 9 (977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 5:36:30 PM
(0)
Contributor

So could my wife's parents sign a new contract for the mobile share and then add a new line porting in my number and then we can change the billing responsibility to me? Would this work?

So could my wife's parents sign a new contract for the mobile share and then add a new line porting in my number and then we can change the billing responsibility to me? Would this work?

6 of 9 (950 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2013 8:02:45 AM
(0)
Expert

bkrill7 wrote:

Unless it is a business account a number from a different area code cannot be ported in.a Alabama area code cannot be combined with a account that is a california area code.

bkrill7 wrote:

Unless it is a business account a number from a different area code cannot be ported in.a Alabama area code cannot be combined with a account that is a california area code.

7 of 9 (908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 8:20:56 AM
(0)
Voyager

You are incorrect in making the statement "that is correct you cannot have different caling areas on the same plan".  You most certainly can--I just did so two weeks ago.  Have family in Texas who've had a mobile share plan for years.  Doing research on various carriers/plans, found that by becoming a fifth line on their plan and upping the shared data from 4GB/month to 10GB/month, it'll actually trim their current monthly bill by $14.  My aunt called AT&T, put me on the account as a secondary authorized user to the account, walked in to a local AT&T store in Los Angeles and got a 310(LA) area code with no problem at all.  

I realize the discussion at hand refers to porting/combining existing lines from different service areas/area codes, a bit different than simply adding a new line. There may be reasons because of these differences that prevent existing numbers from different service areas to be put in one new family plan.  Just thought I'd clarify and make you aware of this information. 

\

You are incorrect in making the statement "that is correct you cannot have different caling areas on the same plan".  You most certainly can--I just did so two weeks ago.  Have family in Texas who've had a mobile share plan for years.  Doing research on various carriers/plans, found that by becoming a fifth line on their plan and upping the shared data from 4GB/month to 10GB/month, it'll actually trim their current monthly bill by $14.  My aunt called AT&T, put me on the account as a secondary authorized user to the account, walked in to a local AT&T store in Los Angeles and got a 310(LA) area code with no problem at all.  

I realize the discussion at hand refers to porting/combining existing lines from different service areas/area codes, a bit different than simply adding a new line. There may be reasons because of these differences that prevent existing numbers from different service areas to be put in one new family plan.  Just thought I'd clarify and make you aware of this information. 

\

8 of 9 (648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 9:35:29 AM
(0)
Expert

laxdude65 wrote:

\

suspect it is a premier account, they can have multiple area codes

laxdude65 wrote:

\

suspect it is a premier account, they can have multiple area codes

9 of 9 (640 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments