New AT&T Personal Hotspot Policy

New AT&T Personal Hotspot Policy

 

I received my new iPhone 5 yesterday and found out that I couldn't configure the Personal Hotspot feature on the phone.  When trying the phone told me I had to go to the AT&T site to configure it.  Well after 20 mins chatting with a AT&T rep I discovered that AT&T changed their data usage policy for those of us with a legacy unlimited data plan.  They want me to change from my $30 "unlimited data" plan to a $50 5GB data plan in order to use the personal hotspot!  Of course once you change to the higher cost lower data plan you can not go back!  This is a rip off plain and simple.  Funny how AT&T was happy with this arrangement when they thought it benefited them but now they have changed their tune.  How is this data different and why is it not part of the "unlimited data plan"?  So in the future will email be treated differently than say web or streaming video data?  Hey AT&T what don't you understand about your own term "UNLIMITED DATA"!  

 

I for one am thinking about moving to another carrier after being with AT&T for 13 years.  This in my opinion is a breach of a joint agreement I have honored as well as unethical.  I hope people flee from AT&T like they did when Netflix tried to screw over their loyal customers.  If they don't fix this within my 30 day new hardware trial period I am returning it and looking for alternatives.

Message 1 of 10 (57,766 Views)
Expert

Re: New AT&T Personal Hotspot Policy


joncee1949 wrote:

 

I received my new iPhone 5 yesterday and found out that I couldn't configure the Personal Hotspot feature on the phone.  When trying the phone told me I had to go to the AT&T site to configure it.  Well after 20 mins chatting with a AT&T rep I discovered that AT&T changed their data usage policy for those of us with a legacy unlimited data plan.  They want me to change from my $30 "unlimited data" plan to a $50 5GB data plan in order to use the personal hotspot!  Of course once you change to the higher cost lower data plan you can not go back!  This is a rip off plain and simple.  Funny how AT&T was happy with this arrangement when they thought it benefited them but now they have changed their tune.  How is this data different and why is it not part of the "unlimited data plan"?  So in the future will email be treated differently than say web or streaming video data?  Hey AT&T what don't you understand about your own term "UNLIMITED DATA"!  

 

I for one am thinking about moving to another carrier after being with AT&T for 13 years.  This in my opinion is a breach of a joint agreement I have honored as well as unethical.  I hope people flee from AT&T like they did when Netflix tried to screw over their loyal customers.  If they don't fix this within my 30 day new hardware trial period I am returning it and looking for alternatives.


It is not a new policy, it was in effect back when you could get the feature. You never where able to tether / hotspot on the unlimited plan, you hva the choice of going to the new shared plan or getting the 5GB plan

You choices will be

 

Sprint - unlimited data, hotspot and tethering extra with a cap on data, believe 2GB @ 19.99 and 6GB @ 49.99

Verizon - shared plans only, hotspot and tethering

ATT - tiered 5GB plan @ 49.99 or shared plan

 

This is not a "breach of your agreement" nor is it "unethical" since it never was in the agreement to allow hotspot or tethering on the unlimited plan.  Neither is throttling, as it is in the Fair use policy that has been in effect for years, you are just not getting the "unlimited data" and the speed you feel you deserve, it is not hard capped. You might as well do what you are saying you will, it will not be fixed within 30 days for you. Just be sure you read the terms of service and fari use polices to what ever carrier you go to so you understand what your limits are

Message 2 of 10 (57,729 Views)
Professor

Re: New AT&T Personal Hotspot Policy

Godd luck with that whole "look for alternatives" bit.

Message 3 of 10 (57,660 Views)
Contributor

Re: New AT&T Personal Hotspot Policy

Booo. This kind of action stinks worse than the new 'shared' data plans. So sad that this paradigm of profits before customers dominates the telcos. Its incredibly stifling and discouraging - but hey its just 'business' right?....yeah right.

Message 4 of 10 (57,293 Views)
Contributor

Re: New AT&T Personal Hotspot Policy

I just wish I could pay to add hotspot to my unlimited plan on either my wife's iPhone or mine. But like stated before, we would have to give up our data plans and for the ability to use more data. Brilliant corporate marketing. And can you say collusion? Or am I looking too much into the fact that Verizon's and AT&Ts shared plans are the exact same GB and $$$?!?
Message 5 of 10 (57,026 Views)
Expert

Re: New AT&T Personal Hotspot Policy


1DrummingAddict wrote:
I just wish I could pay to add hotspot to my unlimited plan on either my wife's iPhone or mine. But like stated before, we would have to give up our data plans and for the ability to use more data. Brilliant corporate marketing. And can you say collusion? Or am I looking too much into the fact that Verizon's and AT&Ts shared plans are the exact same GB and $$$?!?

they won't add anything to a grandfathered plan, any form of tethering was nver allowed on the unlimited data plan. At least you still have an option to get tiered plans at att, one of which allows both tethering and hotspot, were as with verizon, shared is all you can get. If you wlook at the price, it is different, especially in the device section

Message 6 of 10 (57,023 Views)
Contributor

Re: New AT&T Personal Hotspot Policy

Actually your wrong! Tethering was never in the original contract, gee another AT&T employee pretending to know crap... They disallowed it once IPhone was able to do it, it was a way for them to get people off the unlimited plans because they know they can rip more money off customers by using the other plans...Plus I still have my original contract and tethering is no where in it... So stop spreading your lies!!!
Message 7 of 10 (33,726 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Re: New AT&T Personal Hotspot Policy


Parkerdv wrote:
Actually your wrong! Tethering was never in the original contract, gee another AT&T employee pretending to know crap... They disallowed it once IPhone was able to do it, it was a way for them to get people off the unlimited plans because they know they can rip more money off customers by using the other plans...Plus I still have my original contract and tethering is no where in it... So stop spreading your lies!!!

1. first error - look at post dates before you respond on your first post, this thread is close to a year old.

 

2. second error -  I am not nor have I even been a employee of att or any of it's daughter corporations

3. third error - tethering was never in the unlimited plan's feature set, if you wanted to tether you needed to purchase an additonal feature set.

 

4. fourth error - the statement made was this "they won't add anything to a grandfathered plan, any form of tethering was never allowed on the unlimited data plan"

 

your turn

Message 8 of 10 (33,688 Views)
Contributor

Re: New AT&T Personal Hotspot Policy

All of the carriers are pulling the same crap. Since we spend a most if out time on data instead of phone minutes they have gone to cheap minute plans and expensive data plans. An everyone is trying to get rid of those of us with the legacy Unlimited Data. Verizon is doing the same thing.
Message 9 of 10 (33,554 Views)
Expert

Re: New AT&T Personal Hotspot Policy

[ Edited ]

Reddsonja1 wrote:
All of the carriers are pulling the same crap. Since we spend a most if out time on data instead of phone minutes they have gone to cheap minute plans and expensive data plans. An everyone is trying to get rid of those of us with the legacy Unlimited Data. Verizon is doing the same thing.

at least att is making it a personal responsiblity by only throttling you, you get to keep unlimited if you upgrade the phone at the minute. Unlike verizon's policy that if you want to keep unlimited you are required to pay full retail price for your upgrade, if you want subsidized price on a phone, switch to their shared plan.'

 

You need to remove the word "carriers" since broadband users are capping data usage also

Message 10 of 10 (33,477 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.