Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 21, 2013
8:23:26 AM
View profile
Network Outage - Please Post Location

For all of you who are experiencing a Network Outage from what Support has told you, please respond with your location and when you think you first went down. I'd like to send one list, with locations and dates to the Admins. It may help the Network Engineers. Thanks.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

For all of you who are experiencing a Network Outage from what Support has told you, please respond with your location and when you think you first went down. I'd like to send one list, with locations and dates to the Admins. It may help the Network Engineers. Thanks.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Network Outage - Please Post Location

51 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(51)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 10:47:17 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am in the Raleigh Durham area of North Carolina.

My microcell had the flashing cell (bars) lite since the 16th. My wifes iPhone4 still worked, My Galaxy s2 did not. I followed your instructions to deregister the microcell from the web page, do a "hard" reset (paperclip hole on the back of the microcell) then re register. The cell ligt went solid green. However my Galaxy s2 which had worked flawlessly for 2 years stil will not connect.

Phone works fine on cellular network.

Phone works fine on Wi-Fi

I obtained a "new" SIM per care's instuctions, no change in connecctivity.

I really would like to get this working again...............my opinion is that this problem began with an cisco or at&t update to the microcell. It does seem to affect Samsung devices more than others, but perhaps that is only a reflection of the sheer number of Samsungs.

My Android version is 2.3.5 Kernal is 2.6.35.7 running Gingerbread.UCKJ2. AT&T XDM says there is no newer s/w version available. 

I am in the Raleigh Durham area of North Carolina.

My microcell had the flashing cell (bars) lite since the 16th. My wifes iPhone4 still worked, My Galaxy s2 did not. I followed your instructions to deregister the microcell from the web page, do a "hard" reset (paperclip hole on the back of the microcell) then re register. The cell ligt went solid green. However my Galaxy s2 which had worked flawlessly for 2 years stil will not connect.

Phone works fine on cellular network.

Phone works fine on Wi-Fi

I obtained a "new" SIM per care's instuctions, no change in connecctivity.

I really would like to get this working again...............my opinion is that this problem began with an cisco or at&t update to the microcell. It does seem to affect Samsung devices more than others, but perhaps that is only a reflection of the sheer number of Samsungs.

My Android version is 2.3.5 Kernal is 2.6.35.7 running Gingerbread.UCKJ2. AT&T XDM says there is no newer s/w version available. 

Re: Network Outage - Please Post Location

2 of 52 (2,419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 11:58:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The Galaxy Note 3's are having issues almost across the board so if AT&T (actually Samsung/Google) did push an update to correct it, that may have screwed up other Samsung phones. This is the first I've heard of S2's having issues. If other phones work on your MicroCell then it's not the MicroCell itself but how the phone is now "talking" to the MicroCell, or vice versa.

The Galaxy Note 3's are having issues almost across the board so if AT&T (actually Samsung/Google) did push an update to correct it, that may have screwed up other Samsung phones. This is the first I've heard of S2's having issues. If other phones work on your MicroCell then it's not the MicroCell itself but how the phone is now "talking" to the MicroCell, or vice versa.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 52 (2,405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 2:27:06 PM
(0)
Voyager

Michigan here, 48054 zip code.  Been out since about Oct 10.

Michigan here, 48054 zip code.  Been out since about Oct 10.

4 of 52 (2,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 3:05:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

Crested Butte, CO - 81224. Outage first noticed on the 19th (but was out of town until then).  Flashing green bars. Have power cycled and performed a hard reset. Have not unregistered/reregistered it yet.  iPhone 5 running iOS 7. 

Gripe: I am truly shocked at the complete failure of AT&T to support its product and service here. The only person doing a darn thing about helping us is you - and I don't think you even work for AT&T. In my 42 years on this rock of being a consumer and later a business person, I've never quite seen anything like this complete botch job from AT&T. I actually came back to AT&T from VZ for this stupid thing.  

Crested Butte, CO - 81224. Outage first noticed on the 19th (but was out of town until then).  Flashing green bars. Have power cycled and performed a hard reset. Have not unregistered/reregistered it yet.  iPhone 5 running iOS 7. 

Gripe: I am truly shocked at the complete failure of AT&T to support its product and service here. The only person doing a darn thing about helping us is you - and I don't think you even work for AT&T. In my 42 years on this rock of being a consumer and later a business person, I've never quite seen anything like this complete botch job from AT&T. I actually came back to AT&T from VZ for this stupid thing.  

5 of 52 (2,376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 3:14:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks. And yes, I do not work for AT&T. Just a consumer like the rest of you but I sort of got nominated to be the ACE for this forum because I too was frustrated with AT&T and it's lack of coherent support for the MicroCell (which BTW, is the only AT&T service I have).

Thanks. And yes, I do not work for AT&T. Just a consumer like the rest of you but I sort of got nominated to be the ACE for this forum because I too was frustrated with AT&T and it's lack of coherent support for the MicroCell (which BTW, is the only AT&T service I have).

6 of 52 (2,376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 5:04:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hampton nh my service on my galaxy note has been out since last monday oct 14th.  My husband's blackberry is connecting with  o problems. 

I have called everyday for the past week and no one told me there was a network outage.  I had a new sim card sent to me, did a factory reset on the phone and even got a new phone.

Why is the communication about this so poor

What  is the expected fix time.  

Hampton nh my service on my galaxy note has been out since last monday oct 14th.  My husband's blackberry is connecting with  o problems. 

I have called everyday for the past week and no one told me there was a network outage.  I had a new sim card sent to me, did a factory reset on the phone and even got a new phone.

7 of 52 (2,354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 5:08:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

For the sake of completeness, those who post here should also note what they have done to try reconnecting. Just saying that you don't have any service and you haven't tried anything to correct the problem may not mean that there is a network issue in your area.  The more information you provide, the better the chance that you can find help here.

For the sake of completeness, those who post here should also note what they have done to try reconnecting. Just saying that you don't have any service and you haven't tried anything to correct the problem may not mean that there is a network issue in your area.  The more information you provide, the better the chance that you can find help here.

8 of 52 (2,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 5:10:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

ciuffs wrote:

The brand new Galaxy Note 3 (if that's the one you have) is a separate issue. If the Blackberry connects, then you don't have an outage in your area, otherwise your Blackberry wouldn't be able to connect either. The Note 3's appear to have an OS issue that needs to be addressed by Samsung/Google. No ETA as far as I know.

ciuffs wrote:

The brand new Galaxy Note 3 (if that's the one you have) is a separate issue. If the Blackberry connects, then you don't have an outage in your area, otherwise your Blackberry wouldn't be able to connect either. The Note 3's appear to have an OS issue that needs to be addressed by Samsung/Google. No ETA as far as I know.

9 of 52 (2,351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 5:24:21 PM
(0)
Contributor

Greensboro, North Carolina. First noticed October 19.

Greensboro, North Carolina. First noticed October 19.

10 of 52 (2,344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 5:27:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Avedis53 wrote:

To follow up on what Avedis53 said, keep in mind that if you have two phones, and one works and the other one doesn't, it's not an outage. There are a couple of issues of late and one of them has to do with the new Galaxy Note 3's not being able to connect, so yes, please be specific on your problem and what you have done to try to re-establish connection. Noting the color of the 3G light and it's activity is also helpful.

Avedis53 wrote:

To follow up on what Avedis53 said, keep in mind that if you have two phones, and one works and the other one doesn't, it's not an outage. There are a couple of issues of late and one of them has to do with the new Galaxy Note 3's not being able to connect, so yes, please be specific on your problem and what you have done to try to re-establish connection. Noting the color of the 3G light and it's activity is also helpful.

11 of 52 (2,341 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 5:33:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

It is the note 2 not 3 but sounds like I have a different problem since the bb connects

Is there anyone at at&t that can troubleshoot this.

It is the note 2 not 3 but sounds like I have a different problem since the bb connects

Is there anyone at at&t that can troubleshoot this.

12 of 52 (2,333 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 6:03:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

What have you done, other than swapping SIMs, to re-connect? This is the second report I've seen about the Note 2 losing it's connection. I'll report this to the Admins but I'm thinking whatever Samsung/Google has done to correct the Note 3 problem (which doesn't seem to be fixed) has now broke the Note 2.

What have you done, other than swapping SIMs, to re-connect? This is the second report I've seen about the Note 2 losing it's connection. I'll report this to the Admins but I'm thinking whatever Samsung/Google has done to correct the Note 3 problem (which doesn't seem to be fixed) has now broke the Note 2.

13 of 52 (2,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 8:04:26 PM
(0)
Teacher

90069 - Los Angeles

Microcell flashes green on 3G bars and will not lock.

Started doing that overnight last THursday into Friday.

My guess is some update didn't go well.

90069 - Los Angeles

Microcell flashes green on 3G bars and will not lock.

Started doing that overnight last THursday into Friday.

My guess is some update didn't go well.

14 of 52 (2,300 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 8:23:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

That's a very real possibility. Support is apparently telling some that the registration/activation page is now having issues as well which is probably related to the update(?), area outages, or what ever.

That's a very real possibility. Support is apparently telling some that the registration/activation page is now having issues as well which is probably related to the update(?), area outages, or what ever.

15 of 52 (2,295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 9:22:31 PM
(0)
Teacher

I just performed a hard reset on the Microcell.  That has solved the problem.

I just performed a hard reset on the Microcell.  That has solved the problem.

16 of 52 (2,285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2013 4:33:31 AM
(0)
Tutor

woke up this morning to microcell service

Hope it is fixed and you all get your service back soon.

woke up this morning to microcell service

Hope it is fixed and you all get your service back soon.

17 of 52 (2,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2013 4:34:25 AM
(0)
Tutor
I did a factory reset and also reset the microcell.
I did a factory reset and also reset the microcell.

18 of 52 (2,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2013 8:52:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

If AT&T has indeed fixed what ever caused the outage a hard reset may be necessary to completely clear out the memory of the MicroCell and force it to reactivate as if it was brand new. I'd try to power cycle first (which reactivates the MicroCell as well). If that doesn't work, then a hard reset may be necessary. Keep in mind if this is (was) a true outage that cascaded across a couple of different regions, not everyone will come back up at the same time.

If AT&T has indeed fixed what ever caused the outage a hard reset may be necessary to completely clear out the memory of the MicroCell and force it to reactivate as if it was brand new. I'd try to power cycle first (which reactivates the MicroCell as well). If that doesn't work, then a hard reset may be necessary. Keep in mind if this is (was) a true outage that cascaded across a couple of different regions, not everyone will come back up at the same time.

19 of 52 (2,246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 8:26:50 AM
(0)
Mentor
Hattiesburg, MS 39401

I'm going to try a hard reset to see if it resolves my issue. I can connect but none of my authorized users can.
Hattiesburg, MS 39401

I'm going to try a hard reset to see if it resolves my issue. I can connect but none of my authorized users can.

20 of 52 (2,172 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 8:41:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

You may have to deregister/reregister them (delete their phone numbers and then add them back in).

You may have to deregister/reregister them (delete their phone numbers and then add them back in).

21 of 52 (2,168 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 8:57:30 AM
(0)
Mentor

phoenixms wrote:
Hattiesburg, MS 39401

After a hard reset my issues continues. Only my phone that's on my account is able to use the Microcell. The phone numbers that I've listed in authorized users are not connecting. This issue started last week.

phoenixms wrote:
Hattiesburg, MS 39401

After a hard reset my issues continues. Only my phone that's on my account is able to use the Microcell. The phone numbers that I've listed in authorized users are not connecting. This issue started last week.

22 of 52 (2,163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 8:58:28 AM
(0)
Mentor

Otto Pylot wrote:

I'll see if that works and reply with results.

Otto Pylot wrote:

23 of 52 (2,163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 9:12:02 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by phoenixms on Oct 23, 2013 at 9:20:12 AM

phoenixms wrote:

Otto Pylot wrote:

They still aren't able to connect to the Microcell. I'm the only one that can. They only thing I haven't tried is deactivating and add it back to my account.

phoenixms wrote:

Otto Pylot wrote:

They still aren't able to connect to the Microcell. I'm the only one that can. They only thing I haven't tried is deactivating and add it back to my account.

[ Edited ]
24 of 52 (2,163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 9:31:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

There were some issues with the myATT account page when modifying existing accounts which may have been related to the recent outage. It is odd that only you can connect and not any of the Guests so deregistering/reregistering may work.

There were some issues with the myATT account page when modifying existing accounts which may have been related to the recent outage. It is odd that only you can connect and not any of the Guests so deregistering/reregistering may work.

25 of 52 (2,156 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 9:50:10 AM
(0)
Mentor

Otto Pylot wrote:

I deactivated and reactivated the Microcell and Performed a Hard reset after that process and still the same results. I'm only allowed to connect. None of my Approved users are able to access.

Otto Pylot wrote:

I deactivated and reactivated the Microcell and Performed a Hard reset after that process and still the same results. I'm only allowed to connect. None of my Approved users are able to access.

26 of 52 (2,151 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 9:52:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

What kind of phones do they have? Maybe they need to reset their phones? Sounds a bit drastic though. You may have to PM CustomerCare (link in my sig) and see if they can do something with your account's Guest List.

What kind of phones do they have? Maybe they need to reset their phones? Sounds a bit drastic though. You may have to PM CustomerCare (link in my sig) and see if they can do something with your account's Guest List.

27 of 52 (2,149 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 10:10:22 AM
(0)
Mentor

Otto Pylot wrote:

I may have spoken too soon. As soon as the Microcell activated my phone connected but theirs did not. It took the guests about 10 more minutes or so before they were finally able to use it again. So I guess the deactivation and activation fixed my Guest user problem.

Otto Pylot wrote:

I may have spoken too soon. As soon as the Microcell activated my phone connected but theirs did not. It took the guests about 10 more minutes or so before they were finally able to use it again. So I guess the deactivation and activation fixed my Guest user problem.

28 of 52 (2,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 10:28:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

That's good news! Phones don't all get activated at the same time. It takes the network a while to detect and determine their status, especially after there has been network issues.

That's good news! Phones don't all get activated at the same time. It takes the network a while to detect and determine their status, especially after there has been network issues.

29 of 52 (2,141 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 12:07:29 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am in Nashville, TN and my phone lost connection with the Microcell on the evening of Sunday 10/13/13. My 3G indicator light has been on solid, but my phone will not connect. My phone is the primary number on the account. I had also added a friend's number to my approved users list earlier that evening before the service stopped working.

I am in Nashville, TN and my phone lost connection with the Microcell on the evening of Sunday 10/13/13. My 3G indicator light has been on solid, but my phone will not connect. My phone is the primary number on the account. I had also added a friend's number to my approved users list earlier that evening before the service stopped working.

30 of 52 (2,128 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments