Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 21, 2013
8:23:26 AM
View profile
Network Outage - Please Post Location

For all of you who are experiencing a Network Outage from what Support has told you, please respond with your location and when you think you first went down. I'd like to send one list, with locations and dates to the Admins. It may help the Network Engineers. Thanks.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

For all of you who are experiencing a Network Outage from what Support has told you, please respond with your location and when you think you first went down. I'd like to send one list, with locations and dates to the Admins. It may help the Network Engineers. Thanks.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Network Outage - Please Post Location

51 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(51)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 12:38:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Have you power cycled your MicroCell and router/gateway, deregistered/reregistered the MicroCell, or performed a hard reset in that order?

Have you power cycled your MicroCell and router/gateway, deregistered/reregistered the MicroCell, or performed a hard reset in that order?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Network Outage - Please Post Location

31 of 52 (873 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 7:32:57 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks Otto, my phone reconnected shortly after I deregistered and reregistered the Microcell. The only thing that I can report was that this issue seemed to have occured as soon as I added a friend's number to my approved user list via the 3G Microcell iPhone app.

Thanks Otto, my phone reconnected shortly after I deregistered and reregistered the Microcell. The only thing that I can report was that this issue seemed to have occured as soon as I added a friend's number to my approved user list via the 3G Microcell iPhone app.

32 of 52 (844 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 7:56:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

stevergnx wrote:

I think whatever caused the service area outage also affected the myATT account page (or the iPhone app, which I don't use) and modifications to your account just compounded the problems. As far as I can tell, the outage and resultant issues have been fixed but some areas still may have issues for a while longer becase fixes/updates don't happen at the same time for all affected service areas.

stevergnx wrote:

I think whatever caused the service area outage also affected the myATT account page (or the iPhone app, which I don't use) and modifications to your account just compounded the problems. As far as I can tell, the outage and resultant issues have been fixed but some areas still may have issues for a while longer becase fixes/updates don't happen at the same time for all affected service areas.

33 of 52 (841 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2013 12:10:49 PM
(0)
Voyager
  • Outage since Oct 10.  Cut and Shoot, Texas 77303
  • 3G blinks, goes solid for 2 seconds, then the unit shuts off.
  • ATT replaced unit, same problem.
  • Told by ATT tech service should be back on Thursday, Oct 24 and unit would automatically connect at that time. 
  • No service to date.

• Outage since Oct 10.  Cut and Shoot, Texas 77303
  • 3G blinks, goes solid for 2 seconds, then the unit shuts off.
  • ATT replaced unit, same problem.
  • Told by ATT tech service should be back on Thursday, Oct 24 and unit would automatically connect at that time. 
  • No service to date.

34 of 52 (767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2013 1:15:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

By unit shutting off I assume you mean the 3G light keeps blinking and you have no connectivity. How do you have the MicroCell setup? Have you tried to power cycle the MicroCell and your router/gateway?

By unit shutting off I assume you mean the 3G light keeps blinking and you have no connectivity. How do you have the MicroCell setup? Have you tried to power cycle the MicroCell and your router/gateway?

35 of 52 (766 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2013 3:05:43 PM
(0)
Tutor
I keep getting network error it started about 3pm Mountain Time and I'm in El Paso TX at Fort bliss
I keep getting network error it started about 3pm Mountain Time and I'm in El Paso TX at Fort bliss

36 of 52 (758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2013 3:07:59 PM
(0)
Tutor
Oh ignore my comment I'm in the wrong area I'm not using micro 3gs mine is on 4g lte
Oh ignore my comment I'm in the wrong area I'm not using micro 3gs mine is on 4g lte

37 of 52 (758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2013 4:44:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

Olympia, Washington. Outage started yesterday afternoon (October 29).

Otto, I have read through your detailed PDF. My MCell has worked well for several years, only needing the occasional reboot. This time, it showed the solid 3G light, but our phones would not connect. I went through the de-registration, hard reset, and re-registration. The process made it through the first three steps:

-Power up

-Software update

-Location verification

The last step, activation, has been going for nearly 9 hours now. I suspect this is an outage in my area? I haven't yet contacted ATT support, but will do so if I can't get any other resolution from these forums.

Thanks!

Olympia, Washington. Outage started yesterday afternoon (October 29).

Otto, I have read through your detailed PDF. My MCell has worked well for several years, only needing the occasional reboot. This time, it showed the solid 3G light, but our phones would not connect. I went through the de-registration, hard reset, and re-registration. The process made it through the first three steps:

-Power up

-Software update

-Location verification

The last step, activation, has been going for nearly 9 hours now. I suspect this is an outage in my area? I haven't yet contacted ATT support, but will do so if I can't get any other resolution from these forums.

Thanks!

38 of 52 (750 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2013 4:55:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Could be an outage in your area but I'd email  ATTCustomerCare and explain your problem to them.  I'm assuming you aren't having any problems with your internet connection.

Could be an outage in your area but I'd email  ATTCustomerCare and explain your problem to them.  I'm assuming you aren't having any problems with your internet connection.

39 of 52 (746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2013 6:02:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

obiesarmywife wrote:

FWIW, the MicroCell is 3G only. However, if you are using the MicroCell with a 4G/LTE connection, the  phone will connect at 3G to the MicroCell.

obiesarmywife wrote:

FWIW, the MicroCell is 3G only. However, if you are using the MicroCell with a 4G/LTE connection, the  phone will connect at 3G to the MicroCell.

40 of 52 (737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 9:05:58 AM
(0)
Voyager

Thank you for taking the time to help.

Unit shutting off - all green lights go off and the red power light goes on.  ATT Tech support rep said this will happen until the service is available.  Have power cycled in that order multiple times with same result.  

Set up:   Microcell connected to port on router which is connected to DSL modem.  At request of ATT rep, also tried Microcell connected to DSL modem without router. Same result.  No problem with DHCP assigning IP address through router. GPS location verification completes.  3G light blinks for 10 seconds. Then all green lights off and power light turns solid red.

As you recommended, sent a PM to ATT Customer Care.  

Thank you for taking the time to help.

Unit shutting off - all green lights go off and the red power light goes on.  ATT Tech support rep said this will happen until the service is available.  Have power cycled in that order multiple times with same result.  

Set up:   Microcell connected to port on router which is connected to DSL modem.  At request of ATT rep, also tried Microcell connected to DSL modem without router. Same result.  No problem with DHCP assigning IP address through router. GPS location verification completes.  3G light blinks for 10 seconds. Then all green lights off and power light turns solid red.

As you recommended, sent a PM to ATT Customer Care.  

41 of 52 (724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 9:57:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

If all of the lights are initially green (power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G) and then go off with the Power light turning red that sounds like a defective MicroCell. Service doesn't really have anything to do with that so you were unfortunately mis-informed. If adequate power is being supplied to the MicroCell, the Power light will be green and the ethernet light should be green as well indicating an active ethernet port. Service is dependent upon GPS verification and connecting to AT&T's servers (solid green 3G light).

I would check your ac adapter to make sure that it is functioning properly. If the ac adapter starts to fail and it delivers inconsistent or no power at all, that will cause all kinds of connection issues. The red power light is a good indicator. The specs for the ac adapter is listed in the Technical Guide (link in my sig).

If all of the lights are initially green (power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G) and then go off with the Power light turning red that sounds like a defective MicroCell. Service doesn't really have anything to do with that so you were unfortunately mis-informed. If adequate power is being supplied to the MicroCell, the Power light will be green and the ethernet light should be green as well indicating an active ethernet port. Service is dependent upon GPS verification and connecting to AT&T's servers (solid green 3G light).

I would check your ac adapter to make sure that it is functioning properly. If the ac adapter starts to fail and it delivers inconsistent or no power at all, that will cause all kinds of connection issues. The red power light is a good indicator. The specs for the ac adapter is listed in the Technical Guide (link in my sig).

42 of 52 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 10:37:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The symptoms that cs1410 describes would lead me to believe that the Mcell is faulty but since he had the Mcell replaced and the new one does the same thing, I would also suspect the AC adapter given the same symptoms.  I'm assuming that when cs1410 had his Mcell replaced, all AT&T sent was another Mcell and the AC adapter is the same one that came with the original Mcell.

You might be able to convince AT&T to send you another AC adapter or you can order an equivalent AC adapter to replace the 3A-153WU12 adapter that came with the Mcell.

http://www.amazon.com/ABLEGRID-Trademarked-Adapter-153WU12-Switching/dp/B00DLW74MQ

$9.98 plus $5.48 shipping unless you order something else that bumps the total cost over $25 and gets you free shipping.

The symptoms that cs1410 describes would lead me to believe that the Mcell is faulty but since he had the Mcell replaced and the new one does the same thing, I would also suspect the AC adapter given the same symptoms.  I'm assuming that when cs1410 had his Mcell replaced, all AT&T sent was another Mcell and the AC adapter is the same one that came with the original Mcell.

You might be able to convince AT&T to send you another AC adapter or you can order an equivalent AC adapter to replace the 3A-153WU12 adapter that came with the Mcell.

http://www.amazon.com/ABLEGRID-Trademarked-Adapter-153WU12-Switching/dp/B00DLW74MQ

$9.98 plus $5.48 shipping unless you order something else that bumps the total cost over $25 and gets you free shipping.

43 of 52 (717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 10:59:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks for the adapter link. I don't know if AT&T replaces MicroCell's with new ones under Warranty Exchange or ships a rebuilt. When I had to replace mine under warranty years ago I just picked up a new one from the local corporate store so I knew it was brand new. It came with an adapter but I don't know what the policy is now if they are shipped.

I contacted the Admins about the mis-information from Support so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the adapter link. I don't know if AT&T replaces MicroCell's with new ones under Warranty Exchange or ships a rebuilt. When I had to replace mine under warranty years ago I just picked up a new one from the local corporate store so I knew it was brand new. It came with an adapter but I don't know what the policy is now if they are shipped.

I contacted the Admins about the mis-information from Support so we'll see what happens.

44 of 52 (713 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 2:34:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

When AT&T sent me a replacement Mcell, that's all I got in the box and mine was under warranty.  No cables or adapter or even a User Guide.

When AT&T sent me a replacement Mcell, that's all I got in the box and mine was under warranty.  No cables or adapter or even a User Guide.

45 of 52 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 2:54:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Interesting. BTW, the Admins have taken care of this.

Interesting. BTW, the Admins have taken care of this.

46 of 52 (700 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 3:05:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Uh....taken care of what?

Uh....taken care of what?

47 of 52 (697 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 6:19:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

pm to you.

pm to you.

48 of 52 (685 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2014 9:13:12 PM
(0)
Moved for better exposure

Phil-101 • Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution.
You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

49 of 52 (419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2014 9:53:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks Phil. Not sure why this was here.

Thanks Phil. Not sure why this was here.

50 of 52 (411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 5:34:15 AM
(0)
Voyager

Outage in Zeeland, MI. First noticed 3/23/14. Tried power cycle/hard reset/remove/activate several times a day. Replaced Mcell on 3/24. Still have the same issue. After a hard reset it will connect until you try to make a call. It loses it at that point. If you do not try to make a call the solid 3G light will only last an hour or less then it starts blinking a again.

Outage in Zeeland, MI. First noticed 3/23/14. Tried power cycle/hard reset/remove/activate several times a day. Replaced Mcell on 3/24. Still have the same issue. After a hard reset it will connect until you try to make a call. It loses it at that point. If you do not try to make a call the solid 3G light will only last an hour or less then it starts blinking a again.

51 of 52 (279 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 8:15:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

pm CustomerCare (link in my sig) with your issue, what you have done to correct it, your account info, the best way to contact you, and your location. I'll see what I can find out, if anything.

pm CustomerCare (link in my sig) with your issue, what you have done to correct it, your account info, the best way to contact you, and your location. I'll see what I can find out, if anything.

52 of 52 (273 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments