Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 22, 2014
12:50:16 PM
View profile
Netgear 7550 wifi connectivity issues

My iphone5 and Kindle Paperwhite will usually not automatically reconnect to wifi without powering the 7550 off/on, no fun when you have to do it all the time.  I know there are other similar topics about this problem, but there seems to be no definitive answer/solution- perhaps there is none with ATT DSL. And Uverse isn't available at my address...

I set Mixed b/g/n and Mixed WPA/WPA2.  My MacBook Pro, Old iPad and newest iPad Air have no problems, nor do my Windows PCs, my Roku, or my wife's iPhone 3GS.  So it certainly seems like a compatibility issue to me.  Sometimes the iphone5 will connect OK if I power it off/on, but this doesn't seem to work with the Kindle.

I tried turning off wifi on the 7550 and connecting a loaner Netgear N600 router to it (using the same SSID & Password), but this caused some strange happenings and although the wifi worked, I could never get on the internet...

I'm convinced that getting on the phone with ATT support will be of no productive use- does anyone think I'm wrong about this- what possibly could they do other than waste a bunch of time for both...  I have the latest software, I think, 06.04.20, and they update it automatically anyway, right?

So do I really need to call Comcast?!

My iphone5 and Kindle Paperwhite will usually not automatically reconnect to wifi without powering the 7550 off/on, no fun when you have to do it all the time.  I know there are other similar topics about this problem, but there seems to be no definitive answer/solution- perhaps there is none with ATT DSL. And Uverse isn't available at my address...

I set Mixed b/g/n and Mixed WPA/WPA2.  My MacBook Pro, Old iPad and newest iPad Air have no problems, nor do my Windows PCs, my Roku, or my wife's iPhone 3GS.  So it certainly seems like a compatibility issue to me.  Sometimes the iphone5 will connect OK if I power it off/on, but this doesn't seem to work with the Kindle.

I tried turning off wifi on the 7550 and connecting a loaner Netgear N600 router to it (using the same SSID & Password), but this caused some strange happenings and although the wifi worked, I could never get on the internet...

I'm convinced that getting on the phone with ATT support will be of no productive use- does anyone think I'm wrong about this- what possibly could they do other than waste a bunch of time for both...  I have the latest software, I think, 06.04.20, and they update it automatically anyway, right?

Netgear 7550 wifi connectivity issues

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 4:35:42 PM
(0)
Expert

peedew wrote:

Suggest opening a ticket with netgear would be a better solution and Amazon for the Kindle, amazon support is pretty good

peedew wrote:

Suggest opening a ticket with netgear would be a better solution and Amazon for the Kindle, amazon support is pretty good

Re: Netgear 7550 wifi connectivity issues

2 of 9 (3,347 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 5:01:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
From what I read, it is a customized router for AT&T and Netgear does not provide support for it. It must be done through AT&T..
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
From what I read, it is a customized router for AT&T and Netgear does not provide support for it. It must be done through AT&T..
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 9 (3,344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2014 12:56:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks, I hadn't thought of trying Amazon for the Kindle issue.  I posted on their forum and it was suggested that in addition to powering the 7550 off/on that I reboot the Kindle (30 second depression of the power button).  I did so, still no wifi.  So in the Kindle settings I reentered the password for my SSID, and voila, it's been connecting now for a couple hours, but I don't expect it to last- I will repost in a day or so, expressing my amazement if it still connects.  Anyway I consider this a workaround, not a fix, but better than a poke in the eye...  And why did I have to re-enter my password when it was already there... or maybe a reboot zaps it for some reason...  Also interestingly my iphone5 has been connecting very nicely today, but I don't expect that to last either.  Maybe I just have a BA (bad attitude)!

Thanks, I hadn't thought of trying Amazon for the Kindle issue.  I posted on their forum and it was suggested that in addition to powering the 7550 off/on that I reboot the Kindle (30 second depression of the power button).  I did so, still no wifi.  So in the Kindle settings I reentered the password for my SSID, and voila, it's been connecting now for a couple hours, but I don't expect it to last- I will repost in a day or so, expressing my amazement if it still connects.  Anyway I consider this a workaround, not a fix, but better than a poke in the eye...  And why did I have to re-enter my password when it was already there... or maybe a reboot zaps it for some reason...  Also interestingly my iphone5 has been connecting very nicely today, but I don't expect that to last either.  Maybe I just have a BA (bad attitude)!

4 of 9 (3,281 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2014 7:00:57 AM
(0)
Tutor
Update, it's the next morning and the Kindle and iphone5 won't automatically connect to wifi. Powering the iphone5 off/on allows me to reconnect, but not the Kindle- I rebooted it, no go. I reentered the password- it says incorrect password. How long will I be stuck with this 7550 incompatibility- does anybody know if there a new router in the works or maybe a software fix coming? Does ATT offer anything else that might help short of Uverse (which currently isn't available to my house)? Grrrrrrr
Update, it's the next morning and the Kindle and iphone5 won't automatically connect to wifi. Powering the iphone5 off/on allows me to reconnect, but not the Kindle- I rebooted it, no go. I reentered the password- it says incorrect password. How long will I be stuck with this 7550 incompatibility- does anybody know if there a new router in the works or maybe a software fix coming? Does ATT offer anything else that might help short of Uverse (which currently isn't available to my house)? Grrrrrrr

5 of 9 (3,243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2014 11:25:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

ATT support chat guy told me today that some devices are more sensitive to your router's channel frequency, and had me switch from 2 (which I was using because no one else around me was) to channel 11. So far so good, but won't know for sure for a day or two...

ATT support chat guy told me today that some devices are more sensitive to your router's channel frequency, and had me switch from 2 (which I was using because no one else around me was) to channel 11. So far so good, but won't know for sure for a day or two...

6 of 9 (3,228 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2014 1:37:35 PM
(0)
Scholar

peedew wrote:

Do you have the latest firmware?

peedew wrote:

Do you have the latest firmware?

7 of 9 (3,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 8:05:35 AM
(0)
Tutor
This is from the Technician Readout: 9 Gateway DSL Firmware Version 4.4.9.12.1.1
10 Gateway Software Version VER:06.04.20
This is from the Technician Readout: 9 Gateway DSL Firmware Version 4.4.9.12.1.1
10 Gateway Software Version VER:06.04.20

8 of 9 (3,180 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2015 9:28:00 AM
(0)
Contributor

I had multiple issues with the Netgear 7550 routers including "freeze ups" with new Windows 10 laptops.  I finally solved all my Netgear issues by convincing AT&T to swap the Netgear for a Pace 4111N modem/router and my problems went away.  It even solved by printer issues with always having to disconnect and reconnect in order to print.

One of the AT&T techs suggested this but it took 2 weeks to get their "boss" to decide to swap a new Pace for my old Netgear - at no cost to me.  I was told that the Pace is for "commercial" customers only and that residential customers could not get one.

I had multiple issues with the Netgear 7550 routers including "freeze ups" with new Windows 10 laptops.  I finally solved all my Netgear issues by convincing AT&T to swap the Netgear for a Pace 4111N modem/router and my problems went away.  It even solved by printer issues with always having to disconnect and reconnect in order to print.

One of the AT&T techs suggested this but it took 2 weeks to get their "boss" to decide to swap a new Pace for my old Netgear - at no cost to me.  I was told that the Pace is for "commercial" customers only and that residential customers could not get one.

9 of 9 (1,133 Views)