Netgear 7550 wifi connectivity issues

Tutor

Netgear 7550 wifi connectivity issues

My iphone5 and Kindle Paperwhite will usually not automatically reconnect to wifi without powering the 7550 off/on, no fun when you have to do it all the time.  I know there are other similar topics about this problem, but there seems to be no definitive answer/solution- perhaps there is none with ATT DSL. And Uverse isn't available at my address...

I set Mixed b/g/n and Mixed WPA/WPA2.  My MacBook Pro, Old iPad and newest iPad Air have no problems, nor do my Windows PCs, my Roku, or my wife's iPhone 3GS.  So it certainly seems like a compatibility issue to me.  Sometimes the iphone5 will connect OK if I power it off/on, but this doesn't seem to work with the Kindle.

I tried turning off wifi on the 7550 and connecting a loaner Netgear N600 router to it (using the same SSID & Password), but this caused some strange happenings and although the wifi worked, I could never get on the internet...

I'm convinced that getting on the phone with ATT support will be of no productive use- does anyone think I'm wrong about this- what possibly could they do other than waste a bunch of time for both...  I have the latest software, I think, 06.04.20, and they update it automatically anyway, right?

So do I really need to call Comcast?!

Message 1 of 9 (3,922 Views)
Expert

Re: Netgear 7550 wifi connectivity issues

peedew wrote:

My iphone5 and Kindle Paperwhite will usually not automatically reconnect to wifi without powering the 7550 off/on, no fun when you have to do it all the time.  I know there are other similar topics about this problem, but there seems to be no definitive answer/solution- perhaps there is none with ATT DSL. And Uverse isn't available at my address...

I set Mixed b/g/n and Mixed WPA/WPA2.  My MacBook Pro, Old iPad and newest iPad Air have no problems, nor do my Windows PCs, my Roku, or my wife's iPhone 3GS.  So it certainly seems like a compatibility issue to me.  Sometimes the iphone5 will connect OK if I power it off/on, but this doesn't seem to work with the Kindle.

I tried turning off wifi on the 7550 and connecting a loaner Netgear N600 router to it (using the same SSID & Password), but this caused some strange happenings and although the wifi worked, I could never get on the internet...

I'm convinced that getting on the phone with ATT support will be of no productive use- does anyone think I'm wrong about this- what possibly could they do other than waste a bunch of time for both...  I have the latest software, I think, 06.04.20, and they update it automatically anyway, right?

Suggest opening a ticket with netgear would be a better solution and Amazon for the Kindle, amazon support is pretty good

Message 2 of 9 (3,883 Views)
ACE - Expert

From what I read, it is a customized router for AT&T and Netgear does not provide support for it. It must be done through AT&T..
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9 (3,880 Views)
Tutor

Thanks, I hadn't thought of trying Amazon for the Kindle issue.  I posted on their forum and it was suggested that in addition to powering the 7550 off/on that I reboot the Kindle (30 second depression of the power button).  I did so, still no wifi.  So in the Kindle settings I reentered the password for my SSID, and voila, it's been connecting now for a couple hours, but I don't expect it to last- I will repost in a day or so, expressing my amazement if it still connects.  Anyway I consider this a workaround, not a fix, but better than a poke in the eye...  And why did I have to re-enter my password when it was already there... or maybe a reboot zaps it for some reason...  Also interestingly my iphone5 has been connecting very nicely today, but I don't expect that to last either.  Maybe I just have a BA (bad attitude)!

Message 4 of 9 (3,817 Views)
Tutor

Update, it's the next morning and the Kindle and iphone5 won't automatically connect to wifi. Powering the iphone5 off/on allows me to reconnect, but not the Kindle- I rebooted it, no go. I reentered the password- it says incorrect password. How long will I be stuck with this 7550 incompatibility- does anybody know if there a new router in the works or maybe a software fix coming? Does ATT offer anything else that might help short of Uverse (which currently isn't available to my house)? Grrrrrrr
Message 5 of 9 (3,779 Views)
Tutor

ATT support chat guy told me today that some devices are more sensitive to your router's channel frequency, and had me switch from 2 (which I was using because no one else around me was) to channel 11. So far so good, but won't know for sure for a day or two...

Message 6 of 9 (3,764 Views)
Scholar

peedew wrote:

Do you have the latest firmware?

Message 7 of 9 (3,754 Views)
Tutor

This is from the Technician Readout: 9 Gateway DSL Firmware Version 4.4.9.12.1.1
10 Gateway Software Version VER:06.04.20
Message 8 of 9 (3,716 Views)
Contributor

I had multiple issues with the Netgear 7550 routers including "freeze ups" with new Windows 10 laptops.  I finally solved all my Netgear issues by convincing AT&T to swap the Netgear for a Pace 4111N modem/router and my problems went away.  It even solved by printer issues with always having to disconnect and reconnect in order to print.

One of the AT&T techs suggested this but it took 2 weeks to get their "boss" to decide to swap a new Pace for my old Netgear - at no cost to me.  I was told that the Pace is for "commercial" customers only and that residential customers could not get one.

Message 9 of 9 (1,669 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.