Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Feb 17, 2014
7:47:05 PM
View profile
Need help choosing a basic phone for child/2nd line!

I am so overwhelmed by all the choices in phones/plans/data/voice out there that I can't even narrow it down enough to make a choice on anything. I'm so confused. I'm basically just looking for a simple phone for my 11 year old to have at school or when away at her dad's so I can contact her. It really only needs voice and text and we will only use it sparingly on an as needed basis. I do not want her having anything fancy with data or ability to access the internet. I have an old AT&T plan with the $30 unlimited data and I don't want to lose that. Is there a phone I can add to my account with minimal expense/minutes/text that doesn't interfere with my current unlimited plan? I've been scrolling through phones for hours and everything seems to require $25+ data plans plus voice plus texting and forces me to change my plan which I'm very happy with and don't want to do. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Kalli

I am so overwhelmed by all the choices in phones/plans/data/voice out there that I can't even narrow it down enough to make a choice on anything. I'm so confused. I'm basically just looking for a simple phone for my 11 year old to have at school or when away at her dad's so I can contact her. It really only needs voice and text and we will only use it sparingly on an as needed basis. I do not want her having anything fancy with data or ability to access the internet. I have an old AT&T plan with the $30 unlimited data and I don't want to lose that. Is there a phone I can add to my account with minimal expense/minutes/text that doesn't interfere with my current unlimited plan? I've been scrolling through phones for hours and everything seems to require $25+ data plans plus voice plus texting and forces me to change my plan which I'm very happy with and don't want to do. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Kalli

Need help choosing a basic phone for child/2nd line!

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2014 2:58:47 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by lunarrush on Feb 18, 2014 at 2:59:34 AM

According to this support article it seems you would have to have at least two individual lines on your account prior to 10/25/2013 in order to have a family talk plan. If you only have one line active on the account right now then you wouldn't qualify to move to a family talk plan so that you can keep your unlimited data.  There is another option though.

You can add the line into its own individual mobile share 300 MB value plan.  This will add $40 per month to your att cellphone bill and will give the new phone unlimited talk and text messaging.  You are able to disable the data service on the line entirely using a mobile share data block, and the best part is that having this line in its own seperate group means your unlimited data remains untouched.

Now, as far as phones go the rule of thumb to remember here is that any phone listed as "Quick Messaging" or "Basic Phones" online, in store, or at customer care will work with this plan and allow you to not pay the extra you would for a smartphone.

Here's wishing you good luck with finding the right option for your family :-).

According to this support article it seems you would have to have at least two individual lines on your account prior to 10/25/2013 in order to have a family talk plan. If you only have one line active on the account right now then you wouldn't qualify to move to a family talk plan so that you can keep your unlimited data.  There is another option though.

You can add the line into its own individual mobile share 300 MB value plan.  This will add $40 per month to your att cellphone bill and will give the new phone unlimited talk and text messaging.  You are able to disable the data service on the line entirely using a mobile share data block, and the best part is that having this line in its own seperate group means your unlimited data remains untouched.

Now, as far as phones go the rule of thumb to remember here is that any phone listed as "Quick Messaging" or "Basic Phones" online, in store, or at customer care will work with this plan and allow you to not pay the extra you would for a smartphone.

Here's wishing you good luck with finding the right option for your family :-).

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Need help choosing a basic phone for child/2nd line!

[ Edited ]
2 of 4 (664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2014 5:32:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
If it is only going to be a limited use phone, you may want to consider a goPhone, You can even get a smartphone on a gophone plan and it does not require a data plan.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
If it is only going to be a limited use phone, you may want to consider a goPhone, You can even get a smartphone on a gophone plan and it does not require a data plan.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 4 (648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 5:51:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

kdfederer wrote:

+1. I was going to suggest the same thing. 

GoPhone is the way to go, especially for a younger user. This way, you can have peace of mind knowing that you will not have to worry about your daughter racking up overage charges as prepaid GoPhones have a set balance before the phone can incur additional charges. Believe it or not, your daughter can actually use a smartphone on a prepaid plan WITHOUT having to pay for a data plan. I do this myself and I love it. How's that for bragging to her friends? Smiley Tongue

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

kdfederer wrote:

+1. I was going to suggest the same thing. 

GoPhone is the way to go, especially for a younger user. This way, you can have peace of mind knowing that you will not have to worry about your daughter racking up overage charges as prepaid GoPhones have a set balance before the phone can incur additional charges. Believe it or not, your daughter can actually use a smartphone on a prepaid plan WITHOUT having to pay for a data plan. I do this myself and I love it. How's that for bragging to her friends? Smiley Tongue

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 4 (587 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments