Wireless Forums

Posted Sep 9, 2010
2:12:55 PM
Need explanation of Data plans-vs-wireless internet device

I am a current AT &T customer with Family talk 3000 plan. I just recently purchased my daughter in law an AT & T wireless internet device for her newly purchased Netbook, and understood the sales person at best Buy to say it had 250 limit/ I am unsure if that is 250 min, MGB. GB etc. and How do I know how that interprets into web browsing, email check, with or without attachments etc? Also are data plans the same as wireless internet devices? I have data plans on 3 of my family plan smart phone, 1 iphone and tow others not sure which models. What advice to you have to monitor wireless internet usage without exceeding this 250 of whatever? This first bill I received is $403, generally my bills run around $350 for all 5 phones in my plan.

I am a current AT &T customer with Family talk 3000 plan. I just recently purchased my daughter in law an AT & T wireless internet device for her newly purchased Netbook, and understood the sales person at best Buy to say it had 250 limit/ I am unsure if that is 250 min, MGB. GB etc. and How do I know how that interprets into web browsing, email check, with or without attachments etc? Also are data plans the same as wireless internet devices? I have data plans on 3 of my family plan smart phone, 1 iphone and tow others not sure which models. What advice to you have to monitor wireless internet usage without exceeding this 250 of whatever? This first bill I received is $403, generally my bills run around $350 for all 5 phones in my plan.

Need explanation of Data plans-vs-wireless internet device

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2010 2:32:33 PM
(0)
Guru

Use this tool

http://www.att.com/standalone/data-calculator/index.html

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Re: Need explanation of Data plans-vs-wireless internet device

2 of 6 (992 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2010 4:17:34 PM
(0)
Tutor

I did try to use this tool, but it seems that this is a PREDICTOR of usage based on your ESTIMATED minute/hours doing each of those tasks, rather than ACTUAL analysis of past usage to try to determine avg usage is this correct? And I could not correctly estimate, i dont think, Is it asking how many minutes it takes you to browse web, download, or read email? What happens if you are a multitasker and login to web browse but then have to break away to do something else and want to come back later and staart up where you left off, is the web browsing continually running against your monthly alottment while you stepped away, without logging off? 

I did try to use this tool, but it seems that this is a PREDICTOR of usage based on your ESTIMATED minute/hours doing each of those tasks, rather than ACTUAL analysis of past usage to try to determine avg usage is this correct? And I could not correctly estimate, i dont think, Is it asking how many minutes it takes you to browse web, download, or read email? What happens if you are a multitasker and login to web browse but then have to break away to do something else and want to come back later and staart up where you left off, is the web browsing continually running against your monthly alottment while you stepped away, without logging off? 

3 of 6 (982 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2010 5:53:16 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by caseyhammerhead on Sep 9, 2010 at 6:04:10 PM

The 250 is 250 MB (mega byes).  Is this your daughter-in-law's only internet access?

If it is, you need to upgrade to the 5GB plan. And talk to a rep about back-dating it to the beginning of the current month's service.  This article here gives a description of what normal use is, and how fast the data can be used up.  Depending on what she's using the netbook for, 250 may be fine (occasional use to check email, quick up/download, etc).  It it is everyday use, she'll need the higher plan.

Just so you know, if she does any streaming (ie watching youtube, listening to music,) while actively connected to the internet, the data is eaten up very quickly.  If she does any downloading of video/audio through a peer-to-peer site (ie torrents).. the data use can be at LEAST Double what the file size is, because these sites use the downloading computer as a 'host' for other people get the data from as well.

Good news is, the AT&T Communication Manager has a built-in use meter which should give her some idea of what is going on.

The 250 is 250 MB (mega byes).  Is this your daughter-in-law's only internet access?

If it is, you need to upgrade to the 5GB plan. And talk to a rep about back-dating it to the beginning of the current month's service.  This article here gives a description of what normal use is, and how fast the data can be used up.  Depending on what she's using the netbook for, 250 may be fine (occasional use to check email, quick up/download, etc).  It it is everyday use, she'll need the higher plan.

Just so you know, if she does any streaming (ie watching youtube, listening to music,) while actively connected to the internet, the data is eaten up very quickly.  If she does any downloading of video/audio through a peer-to-peer site (ie torrents).. the data use can be at LEAST Double what the file size is, because these sites use the downloading computer as a 'host' for other people get the data from as well.

Good news is, the AT&T Communication Manager has a built-in use meter which should give her some idea of what is going on.

[ Edited ]
4 of 6 (976 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 11:34:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thank You soooo..  much that is exactly what I was looking for. It is a shame that this information is not as easily accessible directly form AT & T's "Manage My Account" pages. I even enlisted a Chat agent and asked the same questions, and searched & searched the answer pages and never was directed here. It seems if AT & T engineers/techs whatever they are called are smart enough to create phones, Iphone etcs with so many capabilities , that they could design or drive a website that offered helpful links based on each individuals plans they have on there accounts. For example they can show you a picture of the phone You have I assume reading from your sim card but this type of technical assistance or answers to commonly sought questions cannot be more user friendly?? I did make that comment on their suggestion area after reading it though so maybe someone will heed my recommendation?? Thanks for your help!

Thank You soooo..  much that is exactly what I was looking for. It is a shame that this information is not as easily accessible directly form AT & T's "Manage My Account" pages. I even enlisted a Chat agent and asked the same questions, and searched & searched the answer pages and never was directed here. It seems if AT & T engineers/techs whatever they are called are smart enough to create phones, Iphone etcs with so many capabilities , that they could design or drive a website that offered helpful links based on each individuals plans they have on there accounts. For example they can show you a picture of the phone You have I assume reading from your sim card but this type of technical assistance or answers to commonly sought questions cannot be more user friendly?? I did make that comment on their suggestion area after reading it though so maybe someone will heed my recommendation?? Thanks for your help!

5 of 6 (948 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 6, 2010 1:53:49 PM
(0)
Guru

AT&T doesn't create phones. Apple, Samsung, Nokia etc create phones. AT&T is only the service provider. Granted, the chat agent or other rep should have been able to easily answer your question for you.

As an AT&T employee, the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinion.

AT&T doesn't create phones. Apple, Samsung, Nokia etc create phones. AT&T is only the service provider. Granted, the chat agent or other rep should have been able to easily answer your question for you.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

6 of 6 (930 Views)