Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 16, 2013
7:45:52 PM
View profile
Need Help on Plan Comparison / Data Usage Requirements

First post...so go easy...

I currently have the following:  2 Iphones on Fam700, unlimited data/200 texts (phone 1) and 200mb data/200 texts (phone2).   Approx cost is $60 + $30 + $5 phone1 and $9.99 + $15 + $5 phone2 for a monthly total of $125 + tax/fees.

I want to add an iPad to my plan. This is where I get confused on what my cost options are...

(1) If I add a personal hotspot to my plan, I assume the 5GB Data plan replaces my unlimited..right?  So I drop the unlimited and get 5GB (I typically only use ~2GB, so losing unlimited is not the end of the world to me).  My plan only goes up $20 per month ($145 total)...right???  But then this plan would be specific to my phone and the wife would still just have 200mb of data?

Also, let's say I purchase an wi-fi only Ipad refurb from Apple, can use the Ipad from anywhere with no usage / data costs (assuming my iPhone hotspot is nearby)??

(2) On the other hand, if I go with Mobile Share 6GB, I pay $90 +2 phones at $35 each + 1 Ipad at $10 for a total of $170.  Under this plan, unlimited talk/text and the 6GB shared between 3 devices.  Any additional costs I am missing?

Finally, with respect to tethering/hotspot option1, would we use data faster since an iPhone and secondary device would each be pulling data at the same time??  In other words, the 5GB would be used much quicker than the mobile share 6GB assuming the same exact usage patterns???

Any input is greatly appreciated.  I'd do more research myself, but I just decided to purchase the iPad for my wife's b-day and time is running out to pull it all together.

Thanks!!

I currently have the following:  2 Iphones on Fam700, unlimited data/200 texts (phone 1) and 200mb data/200 texts (phone2).   Approx cost is $60 + $30 + $5 phone1 and $9.99 + $15 + $5 phone2 for a monthly total of $125 + tax/fees.

I want to add an iPad to my plan. This is where I get confused on what my cost options are...

(1) If I add a personal hotspot to my plan, I assume the 5GB Data plan replaces my unlimited..right?  So I drop the unlimited and get 5GB (I typically only use ~2GB, so losing unlimited is not the end of the world to me).  My plan only goes up $20 per month ($145 total)...right???  But then this plan would be specific to my phone and the wife would still just have 200mb of data?

Also, let's say I purchase an wi-fi only Ipad refurb from Apple, can use the Ipad from anywhere with no usage / data costs (assuming my iPhone hotspot is nearby)??

(2) On the other hand, if I go with Mobile Share 6GB, I pay $90 +2 phones at $35 each + 1 Ipad at $10 for a total of $170.  Under this plan, unlimited talk/text and the 6GB shared between 3 devices.  Any additional costs I am missing?

Finally, with respect to tethering/hotspot option1, would we use data faster since an iPhone and secondary device would each be pulling data at the same time??  In other words, the 5GB would be used much quicker than the mobile share 6GB assuming the same exact usage patterns???

Any input is greatly appreciated.  I'd do more research myself, but I just decided to purchase the iPad for my wife's b-day and time is running out to pull it all together.

Thanks!!

Need Help on Plan Comparison / Data Usage Requirements

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 10:30:29 AM
(0)
Former Employee

See responses below:

brian6464 wrote:

Yes to all above.

Yes, no additional usage costs but obviously the ipad would be using your iphone's 5GB alotment.

You have the costs correct but also keep in mind you would also need to buy a 4G ipad, not wifi only. Alternatively, mobile share includes mobile hotspot for all devices. In other words, both your and your wife's phone would be mobile hotspot capable and you could use a wifi only ipad with either phone. Plus you would not have to pay the $10 per month to add the ipad. That $10 fee for an ipad is only required if you have a 4G ipad and want that ipad to be able to access data via the cellular network directly.

Regardless of which way you go, I don't think data will be consumed any faster. Whether the ipad is consuming data directly or via mobile hotspot, that data is independant of whatever data the iphone is consuming itself.

Thanks!!

See responses below:

brian6464 wrote:

Yes to all above.

Yes, no additional usage costs but obviously the ipad would be using your iphone's 5GB alotment.

You have the costs correct but also keep in mind you would also need to buy a 4G ipad, not wifi only. Alternatively, mobile share includes mobile hotspot for all devices. In other words, both your and your wife's phone would be mobile hotspot capable and you could use a wifi only ipad with either phone. Plus you would not have to pay the $10 per month to add the ipad. That $10 fee for an ipad is only required if you have a 4G ipad and want that ipad to be able to access data via the cellular network directly.

Regardless of which way you go, I don't think data will be consumed any faster. Whether the ipad is consuming data directly or via mobile hotspot, that data is independant of whatever data the iphone is consuming itself.

Thanks!!

Re: Need Help on Plan Comparison / Data Usage Requirements

2 of 4 (250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 12:18:51 PM
(0)
Contributor

sandblaster wrote:

See responses below:

Sandblaster...thanks for confirming.  Just some additional clarification on (2).  You said I would need to purchase a 4g Ipad.  I'm interpreting that to mean only if I want to access the AT&T network...right?  And as I am typing, I now realize that having mobile share without 4G would be kind of non-sensical.  Otherwise..no reason to pay for 6GB.  (I'm a little slow.....).

I'm looking at a brochure on Mobile Share that says $20/ea per month for Mobile Hotspot devices.  Wouldn't it then cost me an extra $40 to have both iPhones a hotspots on Mobile Share??  So Mobile Share 6GB would be $90+$35+$35+$20+20+$10 for a total of $210 with 4G iPad and both phones as hotspots?
Last question..are data plans subject to 2 year agreements like talk?  So if I move from $30 unlimited data to $50 DataPro 5G, is there a two year commitment?  Or if after 3 months I wanted to chagne from 5GB to mobile share 6GB, I could?
Thanks.

sandblaster wrote:

See responses below:

Sandblaster...thanks for confirming.  Just some additional clarification on (2).  You said I would need to purchase a 4g Ipad.  I'm interpreting that to mean only if I want to access the AT&T network...right?  And as I am typing, I now realize that having mobile share without 4G would be kind of non-sensical.  Otherwise..no reason to pay for 6GB.  (I'm a little slow.....).

I'm looking at a brochure on Mobile Share that says $20/ea per month for Mobile Hotspot devices.  Wouldn't it then cost me an extra $40 to have both iPhones a hotspots on Mobile Share??  So Mobile Share 6GB would be $90+$35+$35+$20+20+$10 for a total of $210 with 4G iPad and both phones as hotspots?
Last question..are data plans subject to 2 year agreements like talk?  So if I move from $30 unlimited data to $50 DataPro 5G, is there a two year commitment?  Or if after 3 months I wanted to chagne from 5GB to mobile share 6GB, I could?
Thanks.

3 of 4 (244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 5:04:19 PM
(0)
Former Employee

brian6464 wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

See responses below:

Thanks.

Correct, you only need a 4g iPad if you wish to access the AT&T network directly. 

Concerning the mobile hotspot devices, you do not need them because your iPhones are hotspot devices. If you select mobile share and go with a wifi only ipad, your costs would be $90+$35+$35. No need for the $20 hotspot devices or the $10 additional for an iPad. If you get a 4g iPad and want to add it to the plan, then the costs are $90+$35+$35+$10. Either way, the $20 hotspot devices are not needed. 

Your existing 2 year contract only requires you maintain voice service. You can change plans anytime and change additional features on a plan (like the data plan) without effecting your contract. There is one caveat to that, though. If you buy a 4g iPad from AT&T at the subsidized price, then you will be required to sign a new 2 year contract for that iPad and you will need to either have a separate data plan for that iPad or add it to a mobile share plan. 

brian6464 wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

See responses below:

Thanks.

Correct, you only need a 4g iPad if you wish to access the AT&T network directly. 

Concerning the mobile hotspot devices, you do not need them because your iPhones are hotspot devices. If you select mobile share and go with a wifi only ipad, your costs would be $90+$35+$35. No need for the $20 hotspot devices or the $10 additional for an iPad. If you get a 4g iPad and want to add it to the plan, then the costs are $90+$35+$35+$10. Either way, the $20 hotspot devices are not needed. 

Your existing 2 year contract only requires you maintain voice service. You can change plans anytime and change additional features on a plan (like the data plan) without effecting your contract. There is one caveat to that, though. If you buy a 4g iPad from AT&T at the subsidized price, then you will be required to sign a new 2 year contract for that iPad and you will need to either have a separate data plan for that iPad or add it to a mobile share plan. 

4 of 4 (233 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments