Nationwide roaming, not international

Teacher

Nationwide roaming, not international

I live in a suburb outside of Chicago. I live in a large home and cannot get service on my phone. I know about the 3G microcell and that is not the purpose of this post, I am not paying to receive a service that I already pay for. According to my plan I have nationwide roaming included. My phone does connect to another network(probably t-mobile) but I cannot send or receive texts or calls. I have a Samsung GS4 with data roaming enabled. Since roaming is included in my plan how do I actually roam? Whatever network I connect to when AT&T looses service has great coverage in my home and since that is roaming I should be able to use it like AT&T's network.

Also I don't care about data speed, I have Wi-Fi and this did not happen recently. Its been like this for about 5 years. I let it go because I thought maybe it would get fixed but I guess not. Any information would be helpful.
Tags (1)
Message 1 of 5
Scholar

Re: Nationwide roaming, not international

If your phone was working before with no problems and it suddenly doesn't work it's probably a network problem. Did you diagnose with AT&T tech support?

Their nationwide roaming means roaming on rural carriers in rural areas of the US.

AT&T does not allow roaming on T-Mobile in most areas because their engineering/network team thinks their network is the best and they have native infrastructure (plus it costs them $).

So their network is down. File a trouble ticket via support and use the mark the spot app. Hopefully the local Chicago Mobility engineers notice and fix the problem. Chicago is a big market so they should get on it ASAP.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
Teacher

Well i am not sure if it is down, i have never been able to receive service in my home for five years(when i do, its spotty).  Someone told me that it was the structure of the home that was causing the issue.  When i walk outside, i get 3-4 bars right away.  So they could be right.

Message 3 of 5
Scholar

Well AT&T does have roaming agreements with a few domestic carriers. If the moment you walk outside gives you reception, it would be entirely possibly the construction of your home is affecting your service. Since it's affect AT&T's signal, it's probably blocking all the other carriers you would be able to roam on.

I have the same issue at my house. We get almost no reception at home, and we've tried all the major carriers to no avail. Getting the microcell solved the issues I had. Even though it cost me money in the short run (and uses my data),  the ability to actually get service was more benefitial.

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: I am not affiliated with AT&T]
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted

Very important to be trouble shooted @ home with all cell phones by AT&T tech support to be noted for record. Depending on how long you have been with them & what you spend per mo, tech support may put large enough credit on your at&t acct equal to cost of micro cell. But when you purchase 1 from at&t store, you will have to pay for it up front. Otherwise, you can buy Cisco Micro Cells on eBay. Make sure previous owner has unregistered them with at&t. Mark the Spot is good idea, too. I have also heard Best Buy sells boosters, too, but have not read any reviews on them.
Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support