Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 9, 2013
9:02:39 AM
View profile
Nationwide roaming, not international
I live in a suburb outside of Chicago. I live in a large home and cannot get service on my phone. I know about the 3G microcell and that is not the purpose of this post, I am not paying to receive a service that I already pay for. According to my plan I have nationwide roaming included. My phone does connect to another network(probably t-mobile) but I cannot send or receive texts or calls. I have a Samsung GS4 with data roaming enabled. Since roaming is included in my plan how do I actually roam? Whatever network I connect to when AT&T looses service has great coverage in my home and since that is roaming I should be able to use it like AT&T's network.

Also I don't care about data speed, I have Wi-Fi and this did not happen recently. Its been like this for about 5 years. I let it go because I thought maybe it would get fixed but I guess not. Any information would be helpful.
I live in a suburb outside of Chicago. I live in a large home and cannot get service on my phone. I know about the 3G microcell and that is not the purpose of this post, I am not paying to receive a service that I already pay for. According to my plan I have nationwide roaming included. My phone does connect to another network(probably t-mobile) but I cannot send or receive texts or calls. I have a Samsung GS4 with data roaming enabled. Since roaming is included in my plan how do I actually roam? Whatever network I connect to when AT&T looses service has great coverage in my home and since that is roaming I should be able to use it like AT&T's network.

Also I don't care about data speed, I have Wi-Fi and this did not happen recently. Its been like this for about 5 years. I let it go because I thought maybe it would get fixed but I guess not. Any information would be helpful.

Nationwide roaming, not international

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2013 8:10:50 PM
(0)
Scholar

If your phone was working before with no problems and it suddenly doesn't work it's probably a network problem. Did you diagnose with AT&T tech support?

Their nationwide roaming means roaming on rural carriers in rural areas of the US.

AT&T does not allow roaming on T-Mobile in most areas because their engineering/network team thinks their network is the best and they have native infrastructure (plus it costs them $).

So their network is down. File a trouble ticket via support and use the mark the spot app. Hopefully the local Chicago Mobility engineers notice and fix the problem. Chicago is a big market so they should get on it ASAP.

If your phone was working before with no problems and it suddenly doesn't work it's probably a network problem. Did you diagnose with AT&T tech support?

Their nationwide roaming means roaming on rural carriers in rural areas of the US.

AT&T does not allow roaming on T-Mobile in most areas because their engineering/network team thinks their network is the best and they have native infrastructure (plus it costs them $).

So their network is down. File a trouble ticket via support and use the mark the spot app. Hopefully the local Chicago Mobility engineers notice and fix the problem. Chicago is a big market so they should get on it ASAP.

Re: Nationwide roaming, not international

2 of 5 (636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2013 10:30:54 PM
(0)
Teacher

Well i am not sure if it is down, i have never been able to receive service in my home for five years(when i do, its spotty).  Someone told me that it was the structure of the home that was causing the issue.  When i walk outside, i get 3-4 bars right away.  So they could be right.

Well i am not sure if it is down, i have never been able to receive service in my home for five years(when i do, its spotty).  Someone told me that it was the structure of the home that was causing the issue.  When i walk outside, i get 3-4 bars right away.  So they could be right.

3 of 5 (625 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 4:29:01 PM
(0)
Scholar

Well AT&T does have roaming agreements with a few domestic carriers. If the moment you walk outside gives you reception, it would be entirely possibly the construction of your home is affecting your service. Since it's affect AT&T's signal, it's probably blocking all the other carriers you would be able to roam on.

I have the same issue at my house. We get almost no reception at home, and we've tried all the major carriers to no avail. Getting the microcell solved the issues I had. Even though it cost me money in the short run (and uses my data),  the ability to actually get service was more benefitial.

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: I am not affiliated with AT&T]

Well AT&T does have roaming agreements with a few domestic carriers. If the moment you walk outside gives you reception, it would be entirely possibly the construction of your home is affecting your service. Since it's affect AT&T's signal, it's probably blocking all the other carriers you would be able to roam on.

I have the same issue at my house. We get almost no reception at home, and we've tried all the major carriers to no avail. Getting the microcell solved the issues I had. Even though it cost me money in the short run (and uses my data),  the ability to actually get service was more benefitial.

4 of 5 (491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 8:00:50 AM
(0)
Tutor
Very important to be trouble shooted @ home with all cell phones by AT&T tech support to be noted for record. Depending on how long you have been with them & what you spend per mo, tech support may put large enough credit on your at&t acct equal to cost of micro cell. But when you purchase 1 from at&t store, you will have to pay for it up front. Otherwise, you can buy Cisco Micro Cells on eBay. Make sure previous owner has unregistered them with at&t. Mark the Spot is good idea, too. I have also heard Best Buy sells boosters, too, but have not read any reviews on them.
Very important to be trouble shooted @ home with all cell phones by AT&T tech support to be noted for record. Depending on how long you have been with them & what you spend per mo, tech support may put large enough credit on your at&t acct equal to cost of micro cell. But when you purchase 1 from at&t store, you will have to pay for it up front. Otherwise, you can buy Cisco Micro Cells on eBay. Make sure previous owner has unregistered them with at&t. Mark the Spot is good idea, too. I have also heard Best Buy sells boosters, too, but have not read any reviews on them.

5 of 5 (425 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments