NO COVERAGE at MY HOME - Network Engineer does NOTHING

Contributor

NO COVERAGE at MY HOME - Network Engineer does NOTHING

[ Edited ]

I work out of my house and my cell phone is my work phone. At least its supposed to be but instead I have to use Skype! I called into customer service and was transferred to 2 different people who both did nothing! They put in a ticket for an "engineer " to contact me. This so called engineer called this morning and said "hi my name is so and so and how are you today. Then went on to tell me that I needed to purchase a microcell in order to use my cell phone inside, as well as, outside my home." Why the heck should I spend more than the $150/mo that I'm already spending? His reply was, well you are the only ticket we have with this issue so it's not an actual problem and ATT does in no way guarantee that you can use your phone indoors!!!!" So basically, ATT's so called network engineers have no clue what they are doing & even more than that, No people skills. I was so angry from being told my issue was not important enough to actually fix and that my choices were to either purchase 1 more item to use my phone or go with another company. I'm not even sure if this is the place where I am supposed to leave this message so I guess I will google ATT complaints and figure out where to correctly post my issue or according to ATT, my non-issue! I can't believe I had to deal with a smug no it all who doesn't know what he is doing and apparently has an ego too big to ask. Or maybe the rumors are correct in that ATT really is trying to get the long time customers like myself to leave!!

Message 1 of 8 (1,899 Views)
Community Manager

Re: NO COVERAGE at MY HOME - Network Engineer does NOTHING

Hello, Hzorka1!

Thanks for posting. Could we get some more information? How long have you been experiencing a lack of coverage in your home? When you say "network engineer," do you mean someone has come out to your house? Is it just faulty voice coverage or data coverage, too? Have you tried looking up your address in our coverage viewer?

Once we figure out whether it's a new issue or an existing one, we will be better able to help.

Thanks!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 8 (1,878 Views)
Tutor

Hi, can you post any updates on this. I am in pretty much the same situation and looking for ways to make A call!
Message 3 of 8 (1,691 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Your not alone.....we had AT&T cell service at our home since 2007. We do live in a rural area....but we have had cell service from this provider for over 6 years.....

In 2013 we went for a vacation...upon our return service was completly gone.

When we called AT&T we were told we needed to reset our phone.

We have two sepearte AT&T accounts / phones so each of us called to find out what the problem was.

At first, we were told to reset our phones....which we had already tried multiple times before callling.

Not knowing that two people were having the same problem...we were then told, after calling back again, that if was because the phone was taken out of the service area. Yet, both of our phones were not working....that explination really didn't make any sense.

After calling several more times, we were told that a tower or something was being taken down...due to damage. Yet.....Verizon users seem to be able to get service at our house.....go figure.

It should be noted that prior to losing service completely, my smartphone was getting internet service...apparently it was hitting another tower...not owned by AT&T.  I was threatened by customer service that if I kept using the internet "off-network" they would block me from using the service completley.

I asked them how was I suppose to know I was "off-network".

They said my phone should show that. I expalined that it did not, so they "updated" my phone to notifiy me when I was "off-network".

Basically, to sum it up we had AT&T service for about 6 years at our home. After April 2013, we had none.

Finally after multiple phone calls and complaints we were told we would not have service and they would not be repairing the tower previously mentioned.

How can they do this? We purchased a service, whcih we have paid for for years. Apparently they don't have to hold up their end of the contract.

We countiued with AT&T service (did not want / nor could afford to sign another contract with another company at the time), and for the last year have driven down the road about a 1/2 mile to make phone calls.....3G and full bars less then 1/2 mile.

Finally, we purchased a signal booster for $200. It boosted our signal from nothing to 3-4 bars.

It has been working for about the last month, until the last few days.....now every phone call is broken and drops. We even moved the antenna on to the top of our house. No change.

Researching this a bit, I found a few articles of interest:

What To Do If You Have Poor Mobile Coverage

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/dec/17/what-to-do-poor-mobile-coverage-4g

I had hoped to inquire with the Ombudsman, but AT&T is not on there list....see these link...also not sure if this service is just for the UK...but...do we have something like this is the United States?

http://www.ombudsman-services.org/memberlists/communications/?letter=A&search=&page=3

CISAS

http://www.cisas.org.uk/

Actually....while wrting this I checked out the FCC:

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

I spend $120 a month just on my phone bill alone. Taking advantage of consumers needs to stop....and considering all of the NSA activity I might just give up these types of communications all together.

I mean really.....who wants to deal with this .

[word filter avoidance]

Message 4 of 8 (1,183 Views)
Contributor

Message 5 of 8 (1,181 Views)
Contributor

I am also having intermittent issues with my phone displaying either "No Service" or "Emergency Calls Only," which is sometimes resolved by removing SIM and battery, then restarting. However, the phone will cease being able to make or recieve calls without warning, and I am considering other providers despite having been with AT&T wireless for over a decade.

This is the second or third phone that has had the problems with lack of service at my home, and looking at the coverage viewer, my home is at the edge of a "Best" area.

Message 6 of 8 (1,057 Views)
Scholar

If you have a newer house(house made in the 90's and up), it could affect your signal strength due to newer houses using more metal, as oppose to wood.

Message 7 of 8 (769 Views)
ACE - Master

smilligan2323 wrote:

I am also having intermittent issues with my phone displaying either "No Service" or "Emergency Calls Only," which is sometimes resolved by removing SIM and battery, then restarting. However, the phone will cease being able to make or recieve calls without warning, and I am considering other providers despite having been with AT&T wireless for over a decade.

This is the second or third phone that has had the problems with lack of service at my home, and looking at the coverage viewer, my home is at the edge of a "Best" area.

Since you are having issues that are temporarily soved by pulling your SIM card and resetting your phone, it sounds to me like you have either a SM problem, or a phone hardware problem.

I would try goign into an AT&T corporate store and having them replace your SIM card for you.  It should be free, and it might resolve your issue.  If it doesn't I would suggest checking with the phone manufacturer to see of this is something that they can fix under warranty.

Since you mention that you've tried multiple phones already, it is possible that it is a design issue in the phone model you have.  Remember the bad press for Apple when the iPhone 4 was released with it's antenna design issue causing the singal level to drop if the phone was held in a certain way.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 8 (751 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.