Ask a question

Posted Jan 4, 2014
    10:47:34 AM
    View profile
    NEXT Program and UNLOCKING

I purchased my new iPhone 5s on the NEXT Program and made several monthly payments until I paid it off completely last month.  My current bill for January shows the installment plan paid for in full.  It was my understanding that I can now get my phone unlocked once it is paid for.  I meet all the unlock qualifications. However,  once I enter my IME # it says the phone is inelligible to unlock.  What do I need to do?

NEXT Program and UNLOCKING

11 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (11)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 4, 2014 11:12:02 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    Since the iPhone 5s is a new release, they wait for a period of time, usually 6 months to a year before they will unlock any of those. But when you are on the NEXT program, you must return the phone in good condition when getting the next phone.
    Are they allowing phones on the NEXT program to be unlocked?
    If you own the phone outright and it is not on contract, it can be unlocked, but I don't know about phones on the NEXT program.
    This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: NEXT Program and UNLOCKING

2 of 12 (1,002 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 4, 2014 12:19:17 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

That is what I need to know.  I now own the phone and I am not under a contract.  I should be able to unlock.  I specifcally did the NEXT program for this reason.  

3 of 12 (979 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 4, 2014 1:43:53 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    But with the NEXT program, you do not exactly own the phone. It is paid for but In the NEXT program, when you want to upgrade, you have to return your current phone in good condition to get the upgrade.
    I don't think that they will unlock phones on the NEXT program.
    This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 12 (958 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 4, 2014 1:46:21 PM
    (0)
    Expert

kdfederer wrote:
    But with the NEXT program, you do not exactly own the phone. It is paid for but In the NEXT program, when you want to upgrade, you have to return your current phone in good condition to get the upgrade.

he stated that he paid it off. Would guess it is more the fact that all the paperwork has not made it through channels yet

5 of 12 (956 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 5, 2014 4:25:41 AM
    (0)
    Employee
    Edited by OhItsIta on Jan 5, 2014 at 4:26:15 AM

kdfederer wrote:

The NEXT program is a Lease to Own program. If he paid it off in full, he owns the device.

Depending on the contract, it's 20/26 months of monthly payments to own it, or 12/18 months of payments before you can trade it in.

Chances are because it is so new, they won't get around to unlocking it for a while...  :\

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
    6 of 12 (909 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 5, 2014 7:05:55 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Yes this is how I understand it too.  I paid it off so I now own the phone and can do whatever I want with it - provided I can get it unlocked.

7 of 12 (889 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 5, 2014 9:56:44 AM
    (0)
    Expert

dbalone wrote:

Yes this is how I understand it too.  I paid it off so I now own the phone and can do whatever I want with it - provided I can get it unlocked.

you will eventually, just depends on the waiting period, brand new devices can have a 6 to 12 months delay on unlocking. If you were intending to do this you would have been better off going to Apple and getting the unlocked version of the ATT phone on the next plan

8 of 12 (867 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 6, 2014 7:13:58 AM
    (0)
    Community Manager

Hello, dbalone!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble unlocking your new iPhone. If you don't mind, please send us a private message by clicking here so we can help.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 12 (801 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 6, 2014 7:22:10 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Thank you.  I will.

10 of 12 (796 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 15, 2014 7:18:59 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Hi dbalone,

how is your phone now? have you successfully unlocked it yet? i had exact the same situation and my phone cannot be unlocked (iphone 5s purchases under NEXT program and paid in full by accelerating the payment). I've called ATT customer service regarding this issue over 10 times now, spent over 20 hours on this but they still can't give me ANY reason that why it can't be unlocked! i'm now very angry about it. ATT seems to be just a liar!

11 of 12 (586 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 17, 2014 9:56:14 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Just an update for everyone.  I still have not been able to unlock my phone despite several contacts from AT&T.  To me it seems like no one at AT&T really knows anything about the NEXT program or how it works from start to finish.

12 of 12 (530 Views)