Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 12, 2014
7:53:08 PM
View profile
My iPhone says unlocked in iTunes, but it isn't.
When I bought a used, "unlocked" formerly AT&T iPhone, I restored it with iTunes and it said congratulations your iphone is unlocked. I installed a NET10 sim in it and everything went very well. However, I am dissatisfied with them now and want to switch to t-mobile. I can't afford AT&T wireless. Anyway, I am an AT&T Uverse internet customer. When I tried to install my t-mobile sim, I got a message telling me that my phone was not unlocked. So, iTunes tells me one thing, I'm already using a sim from another carrier, but the message on my phone, when I try to install my t-mobile sim, tells me another. What's going on?
When I bought a used, "unlocked" formerly AT&T iPhone, I restored it with iTunes and it said congratulations your iphone is unlocked. I installed a NET10 sim in it and everything went very well. However, I am dissatisfied with them now and want to switch to t-mobile. I can't afford AT&T wireless. Anyway, I am an AT&T Uverse internet customer. When I tried to install my t-mobile sim, I got a message telling me that my phone was not unlocked. So, iTunes tells me one thing, I'm already using a sim from another carrier, but the message on my phone, when I try to install my t-mobile sim, tells me another. What's going on?

My iPhone says unlocked in iTunes, but it isn't.

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 6:05:23 AM
(0)
Master

What is the exact message?  If iTunes says your iPhone is unlocked you should be fine.  However, your iPhone radio bands may not be compatible with the t-Mobile network.  That should not be the case but you never know!

Here is a link to Apple's chart that shows which phones support which bands. https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/  Double check the bands that t-mobile has in your area.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

What is the exact message?  If iTunes says your iPhone is unlocked you should be fine.  However, your iPhone radio bands may not be compatible with the t-Mobile network.  That should not be the case but you never know!

Here is a link to Apple's chart that shows which phones support which bands. https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/  Double check the bands that t-mobile has in your area.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: My iPhone says unlocked in iTunes, but it isn't.

2 of 4 (559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 7:19:59 AM
(0)
Former Employee

Ericfaust wrote:

Net10 is an MVNO, so it is possible your service was actually over ATT's network which might explain why it worked even if the phone was still locked. However, if iTunes is telling you it is unlocked, it should be unlocked. I would suggest repeating the iTunes restore procedure with the t-mobile sim In the phone. 

Alternatively, you might consider looking at ATT's prepaid plans. Pricing is very comparable to t-mobile. 

Ericfaust wrote:

Net10 is an MVNO, so it is possible your service was actually over ATT's network which might explain why it worked even if the phone was still locked. However, if iTunes is telling you it is unlocked, it should be unlocked. I would suggest repeating the iTunes restore procedure with the t-mobile sim In the phone. 

Alternatively, you might consider looking at ATT's prepaid plans. Pricing is very comparable to t-mobile. 

3 of 4 (547 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 7:49:26 AM
(0)
Expert

sandblaster wrote:

Ericfaust wrote:

Net 10 uses ATT and T-Mobile for GSM, Verizon, Alltel, and U.S. Cellular networks. for CDMA

sandblaster wrote:

Ericfaust wrote:

Net 10 uses ATT and T-Mobile for GSM, Verizon, Alltel, and U.S. Cellular networks. for CDMA

4 of 4 (541 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments